Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down and bought some Hornady Leverevolution ammo to try in my 30-30. I have been using the bullets to reload with and they turn in the tightest groups I had ever shot with my ole Marlin 336. (made in 1971, with a cheap Tasco World Class 4 power scope). For the most part the handloads group at 1" or a little under, but I can't get the velocity that Hornady gets with their powder and decided to try some of their factory stuff, strictly for hunting use. So, I sallied forth to the range to get her sighted in 3" high @ 100 yds with this ammo. Here is the result; and I am dumbfounded by the accuracy that it produced.

The first shot was just below dead center, so I adjusted the scope up, the next shot was about 1/2" high, so I cranked her up some more. The next was 3" high, just where I wanted it, albeit 3/8" left of center. So I put two more down range for group. Folks, what you are looking at there is a 3 shot group that is just about 1/4 MOA. I believe this is the best 100 yd group that I have ever shot with any rifle that I own. I guess my Marlin is now the most accurate rifle I have. Hornady has definately made some ammo that it likes.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I just picked up a bunch for my Savage 170 pump 30-30 but haven't shot any yet. That's good to know it's very capable ammo. I wasn't (and still am not) expecting tack driving results out of my ole Savage but hopefully this ammo will help some for shots under 200yds.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Very good ammo. I have one box I have been nursing for over a year. You probably had to give up a kidney to pay for it. I know I did.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still in shock.

It's really kinda depressing when I think that I have bolt action rifles with $200 high powered scopes and hours spent handloading custom ammo for them and I can't get them to shoot that tight.

I also shot my bolt action 7mm-08 with a Nikon scope today and could only manage about 1 1/2" groups with it, using factory Remington ammo. (I don't hand load for it yet) It's supposed to be the other way around methinks.

The stuff aint cheap, but it aint real expensive either. I bought this box at Dick's for $19.99. Still have 15 left.

·
Administrator
143,950 Posts
Nice doggone group. Looks like your rifle found its soulmate ammo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts