Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I use the wet tumble with ss pins , my main reason for switching from the vibration cleaning was the dust ,

It's a lil more labor intensive , the pins , drying etc ,
You're making me want to go back to pin tumbling :tongue:

My PRS buddy got me using pin tumbling. He does what the top guns do since he competes with them. I was having velocity problems and thought maybe pin tumbling would clean out the insides of the cases better.

I know what you mean about the dust, and that dust contains lead stuff too. :ticking: The precautions warn to use in a well ventilated area.

So do you deprime before you tumble? How long do you tumble?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Tumble , rinse , separate the pins with a magnet , leaving the brass in the rinse tray , I set the tray on the patio table to dry in the sun .. easy :smile:

Reactions: Tangle

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tumble , rinse , separate the pins with a magnet , leaving the brass in the rinse tray , I set the tray on the patio table to dry in the sun .. easy :smile:
Yeah, but how long do you tumble and do you deprime first?

I use a magnet, but not quite following how you separate the pins, or maybe at what point? The pins and cases are in the tumbler. Don't you pour the whole mess into a brass catcher/separator?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
You're making me want to go back to pin tumbling :tongue:

My PRS buddy got me using pin tumbling. He does what the top guns do since he competes with them. I was having velocity problems and thought maybe pin tumbling would clean out the insides of the cases better.

I know what you mean about the dust, and that dust contains lead stuff too. :ticking: The precautions warn to use in a well ventilated area.

So do you deprime before you tumble? How long do you tumble?
I normally do not deprime , It depends on what I'm trying to accomplish, pistol, and rife range fodder I do not deprime

If I'm attempting to shoot three fields over I'm depriming as I'm using a single stage press

My tumbler has a timer up to 3hrs

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I normally do not deprime...
Me too.

...If I'm attempting to shoot three fields over I'm depriming as I'm using a single stage press...
Hmmm, I never deprime, even for that, maybe I should give that some more thought - that seems to be pretty common thinking.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Yeah, but how long do you tumble and do you deprime first?

I use a magnet, but not quite following how you separate the pins, or maybe at what point? The pins and cases are in the tumbler. Don't you pour the whole mess into a brass catcher/separator?
The basket on the right goes on the bottom it will catch everything pins etc as you can see ? there are are some pieces of walnut that came out after I tumbled some of my old brass

Putting the two baskets together and gently shaking , and moving the brass around by hand will get most of the water and the pins out using the magnet I catch the the pins and put them back into the tumbler

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ahhh, thanks! Per instructions, I have been pouring the pins and brass into a catcher/separator/tumbler which catches the brass and drops the pins into a bucket along with the dirty water. I then tumble the brass to further separate the pins from the brass. Then I have to pour off some of the water and use the magnet to return the pins to the wet tumbler.

While that works WELL, I still have to rinse the cases to be sure all the detergent is removed, and then tumble them again to remove all the water I can. It's a lot of steps.

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And, I've only been tumbling for 2 hours, I may need to up that to 3 hours.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Ahhh, thanks! Per instructions, I have been pouring the pins and brass into a catcher/separator/tumbler which catches the brass and drops the pins into a bucket along with the dirty water. I then tumble the brass to further separate the pins from the brass. Then I have to pour off some of the water and use the magnet to return the pins to the wet tumbler.
I put the baskets in the sink , pouring the dirty water , brass & pins into the baskets , rinsing while moving the brass around by hand , the pins fall through the brass catcher basket , ending up in the bottom basket .

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is for all just a FWIW, and to show that I'm not overthinking, I'm just thinking...

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2017/05/reloading-for-long-range-shooting-f-class-competition/#ixzz5wCppbofm
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @AMMOland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Please read through these reloading steps for long range shooting, several times, before beginning.
Step 1: Place your fired brass into a tumbler for cleaning. Use a mildly abrasive media like ground corn cob. Adding a little brass polish will not only enhance the cleaning, but will extend the life of your media.
Step 2: After removing the cases from the tumbler, make sure that all media is out of the case and clean the inside of the case neck with a neck brush to remove any powder or media residue.

And let's all understand, we all don't need to take all steps. This just points out that things that are insignificant at short ranges may have a significant impact at long ranges.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
And, I've only been tumbling for 2 hours, I may need to up that to 3 hours.
I've used Dawn dish washing detergent to clean the brass = lots & lots or rinsing

Cheap auto wash & wax I found worked just as well in not better , the brass was shinier , with less rinsing

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I've used Dawn dish washing detergent to clean the brass = lots & lots or rinsing

Cheap auto wash & wax I found worked just as well in not better , the brass was shinier , with less rinsing
Thanks! It's that lots and lots of rinsing I'd like to minimize.

·
Registered
821 Posts
However, I typically leave the shot primers in place because I don't want to deprime first. If I did deprime first, I would do it with a hand deprimer so i wouldn't be running dirty cases through my die.
So, are you implying that your cases go through the drying process with the old primers still in the primer pocket?

I do not wet tumble, but I would imagine that trying to dry the wet cases at 250 degrees for 25 minutes with the old primer still in the primer pocket would lead to inconsistent results. Most people that I have spoken to that wet tumble have de-primed first and then run through the oven for at least three hours. Although I do agree that this seems like an excessive amount of time to dry the case, these cases do not have the spent primer still in the pocket to interfere with the drying process.

I am not saying that I think this is part of the problem, but I would suggest running a batch through the wet tumbler and the drying process AFTER de-priming to see if there is any difference in the results.

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So, are you implying that your cases go through the drying process with the old primers still in the primer pocket?

I do not wet tumble, but I would imagine that trying to dry the wet cases at 250 degrees for 25 minutes with the old primer still in the primer pocket would lead to inconsistent results. Most people that I have spoken to that wet tumble have de-primed first and then run through the oven for at least three hours. Although I do agree that this seems like an excessive amount of time to dry the case, these cases do not have the spent primer still in the pocket to interfere with the drying process.

I am not saying that I think this is part of the problem, but I would suggest running a batch through the wet tumbler and the drying process AFTER de-priming to see if there is any difference in the results.
Well, that is a possibility, but what i hear about those 3 hour ovens is temps around 180° and some significantly lower. I'm running a temp of 230° - 18° above the boiling point of water.

The problem in the batch discussed in the OP was that they never went through the drying process. I had left them out all night, intending to put them in the cooker the next morning. Instead, I got up the next morning, and simply put the cases in a box thinking I had dried them.

·
Registered
33,886 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I've never understood the need/desire to wet clean de-capped plus the questionable drying process. I've always been happy with walnut or corncob media plus polishing agents. IMO, if you desire a cleaner primer pocket you should double tumble once you range run tumble and once re-sized and de-primed tumble. I don't want any liquid involved in the tumbling process. YMMV

·
Super Moderator
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I've never understood the need/desire to wet clean de-capped plus the questionable drying process. I've always been happy with walnut or corncob media plus polishing agents. IMO, if you desire a cleaner primer pocket you should double tumble once you range run tumble and once re-sized and de-primed tumble. I don't want any liquid involved in the tumbling process. YMMV
I understand.

A lot of guys wet pin tumble now. A lot of guys have been wet tumbling for a long time now. The water really isn't a problem, as long as the cases have time to dry. What happened to me, is I inadvertently used cases I hadn't dried.

It is kind of SOP to clean, size/deprime, and clean again as you describe. Wet tumbling is used both times. Seems like a lot of extra trouble to me. I just wet tumble with the fired primers in the case. That way I only have to clean and dry one time, and I decap via resizing.

However, I'm thinking if I were to want to reload a couple of hundred rounds or so, I would do the double tumble thing. The second time primarily to remove the case lube.

I did decap 100 cases yesterday using a hand deprimer and then wet tumbled for 3 hours ! I'm not impressed with the results on the primer pockets. Plus, in a survey conducted by the Precision Shooter's Blog, of the top 100 long range/precision shooters only 36% of them clean their primer pockets. So for my 500 yard applications, I don't worry with it.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I'll second OV on the Lee universal decapper, I have one and it's handy. I'm not a Lee fanboy but they also produce crimping dies which produce a crimp superior to the RCBS pistol dies. I have Lee crimpers for my 357, 44 and 500 S&W, it's important to have a good crimp in a revolver with heavy recoil and even the little 357 has heavy recoil in a S&W 340PD.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts