Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to go into my local gun store a few evenings ago. I found Ross leather. I heard that they were made in South America.
http://www.rossleather.com/
I bought a Ross IWB leather holster in black (new) for a steal of $19.99.
The cost just blew me away... real good deal... :smile:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I have an M17 IWB for my 1911's....it's an ok holster for the price I paid for it via eBay...rides too high for me and the leather/suede smells a bit. I am replacing it with one of Gary B's Max Con-V holsters.

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
I checked out their site ~ The concealment rigs

Even their larger photos are really small.
It's difficult to see the detail work on the holsters.
They really need to put up larger photos.
Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have two of them, an M18S(IWB) and an M19NS(OWB) and I will tell you....you get what you pay for. They, on a scale of 1-10, are a 5 in my book. Now please know....this is only my humble opinion. I have holsters that are much much better and much much worse in quality to compare them to.

But that being said, my dad always told me to buy a 50.00 shirt when I needed that quality of a shirt, otherwise why spend 50.00 when a 10.00 shirt will fulfill the need.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Howdy!
The Ross holsters are really inexpensive, but there is a potential problem with them, in my opinion. Many of their holsters are suede lined, and suede is tanned with chromic acid salts. The residue of which is still in the material. If you get suede wet - sweat or get caught out in the rain, it is very possible that those salts will begin to eat your gun. I have seen pistols that were covered with pits from just that situation.
If your holster is not lined with suede, then you should be ok. Good luck!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't have any of their holsters but I do have two of their belts which I ordered from Brownells for a little under $30 each (with discount). They are very well made, thick and the leather appears to be high quality. I carry my 1911s in a VMII, Kramer OWB2 or a Kramer Belt Scabbard and the with these belts it makes for a rock solid platform.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
don't have any, heard that they were good.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I used to carry in a Ross before I discovered custom holsters. I believe they are made in South Africa, not South America aren't they?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Torrejon about the Ross belts. They keep the CCW high and tight without having lock up a belt notch tighter; in fact a comfortable, loose fitting is all I need for a loaded LWT Commander. They're heavier and stiffer than Rafters of the same width, and cost less, too. Never seen their holsters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a brown ross 1.5 in belt, paid arount 29 bucks for it 10yrs age, wear it everyday with pistol ane extera rounds , very comfy and durable..

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I used to carry in a Ross before I discovered custom holsters. I believe they are made in South Africa, not South America aren't they?
Correct, South Africa not South America. I've had several Ross Holsters and one of their belts, they're good for a couple years use and they tend to get soft and loose. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
This completely turns me off to them:

ROSS LEATHER HOLSTERS ARE NOT DESIGNED SO THAT YOUR HANDGUN CAN BE CARRIED COCKED & LOCKED. ROSS LEATHER WILL ALSO NOT MANUFACTURE CUSTOM HOLSTERS THAT ARE DESIGNED TO CARRY YOUR HANDGUN COCKED & LOCKED.
I can find a cheaper way to carry a brick, thank you very much...

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
Just as a general FYI this thread was posted in May 22nd, 2006

In the lightning fast moving Internet world it's almost an antique already. :biggrin2:

·
Banned
413 Posts
Correct, South Africa not South America. I've had several Ross Holsters and one of their belts, they're good for a couple years use and they tend to get soft and loose. Just my .02
However, there is a good cheap holster made in South America (Peru) -- Tagua. I know several DC forum members have one of these, as do I. Not as cheap as Ross ($40-60 depending on where you get it) but hard to tell from a Galco IMO. Except on the price tag.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
However, there is a good cheap holster made in South America (Peru) -- Tagua. I know several DC forum members have one of these, as do I. Not as cheap as Ross ($40-60 depending on where you get it) but hard to tell from a Galco IMO. Except on the price tag.
I bought a Tagua way back when I first started CCing. It's was decent for the price, but the OWB loosened up real fast. Only thing that held the gun in was gravity.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I know several folk who've tried Tagua holsters and were not overly impressed, the one example I examined reminded me of a Don Hume holster. In the world of holsters you really do get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I have a Ross and wear it all the time. And there is no issue w/ locked&cocked. It is very similar to the Davis Gunsite Omega.

View attachment 279761

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I learned a long time ago that in most cases and always with holster, cheap is never better. I'll stick with Little Bear Custom Holsters for leather and Panther Concealment for Kydex. Both excellent holsters, neither cheap but both reasonable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts