Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of watches does everyone wear on a regular basis? This is my daily worn G-Shock Toughsolar which is a great piece, looking at buying a new Luminox though.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Casio's are hard to beat.:46:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get the Luminox. I have had one for over two years, and give it hell everyday in the oil field.
Have not had one spot of trouble from it.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I wear a Swiss made, stainless steel Lumi-Nox (blue face)...numbers, hands, and bezel dots glow in the dark without a light source, just like night sights. Best watch I've ever had...:yup::danceban:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get the Luminox. I have had one for over two years, and give it hell everyday in the oil field.
Have not had one spot of trouble from it.
I wear a Swiss made, stainless steel Lumi-Nox (blue face)...numbers, hands, and bezel dots glow in the dark without a light source, just like night sights. Best watch I've ever had...:yup::danceban:
Thanks guys, ive been thinking about getting one for a long time now. Now if i can prioritize all my wants vs needs, ill be good to go.:hand10:

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've been wearing a Casio G-Shock for the last 15 years or so. I just love the model that I have been wearing. The only reason I bought the second one is the band broke on the first one and I could not find another. They have been great watches for me. YMMV,

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had a swiss army watch for about 15 years never a problem. They start around $100. And no it doesn't have a knife or a can opener.:hand10:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tag Heuer 2000

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I wear a Fossil that I got a few years ago. I'm not sure of the model.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I have owned a stainless steel diver's watches from an upscale company. I've had a kinetic Seiko, several Swatch watches, Timex, and something called Shark Mako Freestyle, and a bunch of others I've long forgotten.

The upscale diver's watch met its match against a rock, and was instantly no longer a diver's watch; other than being on my hand at 35 feet.

The kinetic watch had a mechanism which broke and required factory service, after which it broke again.

The others all lost their water resistance when changing a battery. The gaskets never seem to go back right.

The Swatch watches were nice but made clicking noises each second and sometimes disturbed my sleep; they sounded like something from a 1940s movie with a home made time bomb ticking away your life.

Lessons learned. Cheap watches hold up and last just as long as expensive watches. None of them last more than a decade, and most don't make it 3-5 years.

As a blue-jeans guy who doesn't usually like fancy stuff, I find TIMEX perfectly OK for most of my needs. The cheaper the better. When they break--which that brand doesn't, you throw it out and forget it.

I avoid Fossel watches. I can't change the battery myself.

Once upon a time in my fantasy land world I decided I needed a real solid gold watch of the multi- thousand dollar kind. Better sense talked me out of it but I
bought a gold watch for Mrs Hopyard for about 4 K. It stays in a jewelry box and comes out only for weddings and funerals---same as my men's suit.

Usually, by the time Mrs H. needs her fancy watch, the battery is dead. And, now, the one jeweler in town who was an authorized dealer has retired and gone out of business.

One word--- TIMEX.
One other word---cheap, I mean inexpensive.

·
Super Moderator
18,750 Posts
Omega Constellation

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I work in a detention center and for the last year and a half, I have been wearing a cheap watch I bought at Walmart for $5.00. It keeps good time and has definitely been banged around in here plenty. I don't even think it has a name on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like mechanical watches, and have watches from manufacturers like Omega, Rolex, Ulysse Nardin, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Longines, etc. I prefer diver's watches these days since I dress very casually.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Rolex Submariner or Omega Seamaster

·
Administrator
144,043 Posts
The watch that I loved but, no longer wear is a simple Stocker & Yale.
I always hated a heavy, bulky, watch and the featherlight Stocker/Yale with the Carbon Fiber watch case weighs almost nothing.
The Tritium vials are still glowing bright and it kept great time.

The reason that I don't wear a watch anymore is that I always carry a cell phone and the correct nuclear time is always right on my phone so I figure that wearing a secondary "timepiece" on my wrist is now redundant and no longer necessary.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts