Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P238 is my carry gun and will also be the carry gun for this friend:

I have 2 P238's, both of which are identical when it comes to internals. They are around 3 years old. My friend just bought a new one which is all black with rosewood grip panels, and brought it over so I could teach her how to take it apart, etc. and put it back together.

Need information and help! This gun is not new-new from the factory, just hasn't been sold before. The recoil spring wire is both fatter and much, much stiffer than the springs in my two guns. In fact, when she pushed forward and up on the end of the rod, the whole thing (rod and spring) JUMPED way up in the air and landed on the floor in back of hubby's metal tool box! I've see that happen with a real 1911, when removing the spring, but the spring in the P238 no way should be that heavy and tight........SHOULD IT? Mine never were even close to that stiff.

I know she is anxious to use the gun and perhaps racking the slide a couple hundred times and some actual shooting will help, but I need help, suggestions, whatever from you folks here who have or know a lot about P238's.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm not sure with that particular gun but with my H-K VP9sk, the spring it came with was overly strong and it was very hard to rack the slide. I brought it to my repair shop and they put an alternative spring in it. It was a pleasure to use my gun after that and they didn't even charge me anything. They returned the original spring to me as well.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Doesn’t sound right to me. Reach out to Sig customer service?

Reactions: CLASS3NH and JD

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is a matter of ordering a new set of springs, so she can use her gun and not have to wait another couple weeks for a trip "there and back" she might choose to do that. That is an IF that she will have to answer.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Take it out to the range with 100 rounds and see if it functions properly. If it does, I'd wager that it's the correct spring.

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take it out to the range with 100 rounds and see if it functions properly. If it does, I'd wager that it's the correct spring.
She really wants to shoot her new gun. She doesn't HAVE 100 rounds to shoot at this point, but can do perhaps 30 or 40 until (HOPEFULLY) a case of backordered ammo arrives in two months. this day and age that's the best that can be done. Even at 60 cents per round ($30 for a 50 round box), there is at most one box to be found total at all of the 7 places "in town" that sell ammo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take the spring out of one of yours and see what happens, Or take her's and put it in your's and so what happens. I wonder if it has a P938 spring in it.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Take the spring out of one of yours and see what happens, Or take her's and put it in your's and so what happens. I wonder if it has a P938 spring in it.
That's what I was thinking, P938 recoil spring got in the wrong parts bin some how 🧐

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I've been wondering the same thing about maybe it is a P938 spring. Will do the exchange of springs from my gun to hers.

On the other hand, I was able to rack the slide back and forth rapidly, so perhaps the spring isn't as strong as I thought when it went airborne. I did order a replacement spring set of 3 each, recoil and trigger spring, from Midwest Gun Works. The picture on their web site looks like the recoil spring MIGHT be the old round style, so I sent them a message through their web site asking them to physically check and let me know. If I think about it during their office hours I'll also phone them.

Reactions: Redbert31

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rack the slide and/or leave it overnight with the slide locked back.
I hope you are going with your friend to shoot her P238, if so take yours with and if having issues switch springs with yours to confirm.

All the best getting it figured out, as you already know the P238 is a great little firearm.

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Tenring1911 The gun came in the box with the slide back and that stupid red flag thing in it. Considering the gun was made 5 years ago, I HOPE it didn't sit that way the whole time. But if it did, it sure didn't weaken the recoil spring! :oops: It is possible it was a display case gun because the paper SIG band was missing, but it was obvious that no more than one or possibly 2 rounds at most had been fired through it. It's all bright, shiny and clean and lightly oiled now!

When I got the good $$ deal on my P238 Rainbow, it came in the same condition with no paper SIG band around the grip. For what I paid I was not going to complain about a never before owned gun that was in the same "one or two rounds at most" condition.

OR it is possible that her new Rosewood model and also my Rainbow were guns that hubby bought for the little woman and she hated and made him take them back. I cannot understand why anyone would not totally love a P238, but I understand that it does happen.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
She really wants to shoot her new gun. She doesn't HAVE 100 rounds to shoot at this point, but can do perhaps 30 or 40 until (HOPEFULLY) a case of backordered ammo arrives in two months. this day and age that's the best that can be done. Even at 60 cents per round ($30 for a 50 round box), there is at most one box to be found total at all of the 7 places "in town" that sell ammo.
If it's the wrong spring, that is, if it is really too stiff, the problem will show up very quickly, likely in fewer than 10 rounds.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
226 Posts
We own 3 P238s ...1-Wife, 1-Daughter and I have one, none of them came with the Sig paper around the grip like the classics P226 etc.
If the flag was installed it would only have the slide cracked open a little, I was thinking about slide lock, like when the slide locks open on the last round fired.
Ill check over at Sig forum and see if I can zero any known issues with receiving a wrong sized recoil spring in a like new P238.

Almost forgot, is their any color on the spring, White or Red?

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We own 3 P238s ...1-Wife, 1-Daughter and I have one, none of them came with the Sig paper around the grip like the classics P226 etc.
If the flag was installed it would only have the slide cracked open a little, I was thinking about slide lock, like when the slide locks open on the last round fired.
Ill check over at Sig forum and see if I can zero any known issues with receiving a wrong sized recoil spring in a like new P238.

Almost forgot, is their any color on the spring, White or Red?
No color on the spring at all. That I did for sure notice.

I posted this problem on the SIGtalk web site and have received several replies, questions, suggestions there also. Nice people. Actually I just joined that one not even a week ago, but got welcomes from a few people who are members here also. So I felt at home right away.

We'll see how the gun behaves on Sunday and I'll report back. That's the best I can do for now. In the meantime, I ordered a package of 3 recoil springs and 3 trigger springs for the two of us to share. That gives us one for each gun for replacement springs, and that's nice. And BTW: I need to figure out WHAT THE HECK is a trigger spring and how to get it in if I need to.............YouTube, here we come!!!!!......again.

Reactions: Redbert31

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Rack the slide and/or leave it overnight with the slide locked back.
I hope you are going with your friend to shoot her P238, if so take yours with and if having issues switch springs with yours to confirm.

All the best getting it figured out, as you already know the P238 is a great little firearm.
Compressed spring isnt going to get weaker/softer. Racking the slide some 300/500 times might help some.

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Compressed spring isnt going to get weaker/softer. Racking the slide some 300/500 times might help some.
Yes: I told her to rack the slide at least 200 times and she assured me she would do that.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
34,607 Posts
It could be something as simple as a change in spring design mid production.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
P238 is my carry gun and will also be the carry gun for this friend:

I have 2 P238's, both of which are identical when it comes to internals. They are around 3 years old. My friend just bought a new one which is all black with rosewood grip panels, and brought it over so I could teach her how to take it apart, etc. and put it back together.

Need information and help! This gun is not new-new from the factory, just hasn't been sold before. The recoil spring wire is both fatter and much, much stiffer than the springs in my two guns. In fact, when she pushed forward and up on the end of the rod, the whole thing (rod and spring) JUMPED way up in the air and landed on the floor in back of hubby's metal tool box! I've see that happen with a real 1911, when removing the spring, but the spring in the P238 no way should be that heavy and tight........SHOULD IT? Mine never were even close to that stiff.

I know she is anxious to use the gun and perhaps racking the slide a couple hundred times and some actual shooting will help, but I need help, suggestions, whatever from you folks here who have or know a lot about P238's.

Thanks in advance.
Sig is in that mode of getting things OTD as fast as possible right now. I would say, BUT don't hold my feet to the flames here, that the spring/s found in her 239 JUST MAY be ones used in the 938. (similar frames and quite possibly been in there from the Get-Go) and that may have been the reason why the previous owner got rid of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sig is in that mode of getting things OTD as fast as possible right now. I would say, BUT don't hold my feet to the flames here, that the spring/s found in her 239 JUST MAY be ones used in the 938. (similar frames and quite possibly been in there from the Get-Go) and that may have been the reason why the previous owner got rid of it.
No answer, just a dig at Sig.

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sig is in that mode of getting things OTD as fast as possible right now. I would say, BUT don't hold my feet to the flames here, that the spring/s found in her 238 JUST MAY be ones used in the 938. (similar frames and quite possibly been in there from the Get-Go) and that may have been the reason why the previous owner got rid of it.
Refer to my post #11 where I stated that the gun is 5 years old, so not new rushed production. It was not owned before. I think it should have been described as "old stock, new in box" as others often are. There was not a previous owner.

Anyway I got the set of 3 new recoil and 3 trigger springs today, so if either of us needs them, they are here. I saved $5 (including shipping for the total savings) by getting them at midwestgunworks.com. They are SIG factory springs. We are going to shoot tomorrow, so will see how her gun performs. She's been racking the slide to "relax" the recoil spring a bit and perhaps it will be just fine. Still, will have to count coils when it gets cleaned next time.

And of interest, sort of: Those little plastic holsters that SIG tosses in with some of their guns ---- may work for larger guns, but for a small gun on the belt of a large-around woman: NO WAY. Even with her Armour 1/4" thick super sturdy belt, she said the holster comes out when she draws the gun. So she is ordering one of this inexpensive Don Hume JIT Slides, which should work for her. I hope.

She didn't mind paying $600 for the gun but has had a shock realizing that "everything else" adds up to twice the price of the gun or more............;)o_O:oops: -- The only gun she has had until now is an "S&W M&P .22compact. Inexpensive gun, cheap ammo. She did pay for a really good leather OWB holster, but all in all, has not had to spend "big bucks" before. She currently has two full cases of ammo on order. One showed in stock but hasn't shipped after close to a week, and the other one is on backorder from a different on line company. HOPEFULLY she will get them!

Reactions: Rock and Glock
1 - 20 of 45 Posts