Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If X is where someone is standing at any given time, then one can't move "OFF" the X. Where they are in time and space is constantly changing [ except when you root ] and thus X changes accordingly/

Unless X isn't where you are standing, and X has been expressed as just that, then the above is accurate. "Getting of the X", huh, someone didn't give that much thought in the context it's used.

When you move your feet, the X still moves with you. It only changes with you when you move, that's the new X being targeted. Pretty simple concept.

Unless you can levitate, while targeted, where you stand is X.

Thoughts

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
I suppose it depends on the psychology of the person targeting the X. Some may not be mentally prepared for a moving target, and could be surprised long enough to make a difference. For those more experienced, it may have less impact, though a moving target is still more difficult.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose it depends on the psychology of the person targeting the X. Some may not be mentally prepared for a moving target, and could be surprised long enough to make a difference. For those more experienced, it may have less impact, though a moving target is still more difficult.
We're not talking about psychology of the person targeting you. This a discussion on whether the X moves as you move and is fluid or you've bought into the idea that X remains stationary and you can get off the X.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
OK your on the X when you are targeted by someone... and that someone has a gun. You have two realistic options... submit or react. First off My own personal best advice is that if they got you, they got you. Most people dont want to catch a murder beef. You may be better off submitting. Having said that anyone who is moving is a much harder target to hit.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
We're not talking about psychology of the person targeting you. This a discussion on whether the X moves as you move and is fluid or you've bought into the idea that X remains stationary and you can get off the X.
Just my thoughts on it.

You move off the x. That x is the original space targeted. Moving off the x will mess with the perps OODA loop, thus buying time for action.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
I have thought about that and feel if you must move, move to your right when facing the BG. This make the BG turn cross body (If they are Right Handed). Hopefully if he is not trained well. This will really throw his aim off.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If X is where someone is standing at any given time, then one can't move "OFF" the X. Where they are in time and space is constantly changing [ except when you root ] and thus X changes accordingly/

Unless X isn't where you are standing, and X has been expressed as just that, then the above is accurate. "Getting of the X", huh, someone didn't give that much thought in the context it's used.

When you move your feet, the X still moves with you. It only changes with you when you move, that's the new X being targeted. Pretty simple concept.

Unless you can levitate, while targeted, where you stand is X.

Thoughts

Your idea of X seems to be new evaluation of the subject matter. It certainly does not sound like anything from the origins of the get off the X concept. If this is something you are presenting as your own take on it, maybe you can expound on your thought process.

If X is where someone is standing at any given time
that is not really correct

Where they are in time and space is constantly changing [ except when you root ] and thus X changes accordingly
no not really... if that were the case then the theory would demand that you never stop moving. I think you are re-packaging the concept

·
Premium Member
36,725 Posts
The toughest part of this particular equation is to accurately and conclusively define X.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Unless its an ambush site, I agree the "X"can be you. Maybe you realize one or more persons are targeting you for attack to be executed in a specific spot. IE; parking lot, parking garage. Then you move out of that area before an attack, breaking contact. Inside there OODA loop. Maybe NOT go to your car but leave the more likely point of attack. Its definitely a fluid term imo. Depends on the situation.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
X is an artificial construct. If we move off the "X" then we're obviously not in the exact same position. Moving off the X forces the bad guy to change his aiming point. So yes, I think you can get off the X.

In one of the Simunition classes we took in California, the instructor had a "bad" guy with a rubber knife run at us and try to stab us. We had the option to move off the X in any direction we wanted. We did not get to try this drill more than twice, but it definitely threw off the bad guy momentarily. I'm not sure that this is 100% effective, but if it buys you enough time to act defensively, I don't think that's bad.

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
I'm in the camp of the infamous x being where you are at, however, I have never subscribed to moving just to be moving.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, X is the original spot you are targeted. You don't create a new X until you stop moving. So I am not taking X with me, I am creating a new X when I stop.
X marks the spot.
What do we then call it while you're moving, Y? Z? Transitional X? In limbo X?

1 - 20 of 118 Posts