Defensive Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I've owned the XD-S 9mm and the .45 version.

I've also had 2 of the .45 Sub Compacts, the 9mm and
the Service Model in the Mod 2 line.

Springfield says that their newest XD-S MOD 2 line is the best of both worlds.

My MOD 2 .45s were pretty nice if you like a wide and heavy gun.

I'm pretty spoiled by my Thin and light PPS M2 for carry in 9mm.

The XD-S 4.0 9mm was pretty heavy in comparison the the
Walther.

The PPQ SC is wider than the PPQ M2 and likewise heavier.

With my bad back, even a few ounces makes a difference when carrying for
8-10 hours a day.

I do feel that there is a edge on stopping power with the .45 ACP or .45
Colt, or even .44 Special when compared to the 9mm.

.41 or .44 Magnum, 10mm and .357 Magnums , are just too
hard for me to control.

.45 ACP is all I can handle, and trying to find one that has an acceptable
level of recoil, combined with a good trigger has been a journey.

The Glock 36 seemed like a good candidate, but I found it to be really snappy,
and didn't like that
the mags would not fully eject.

The XD-S .45 became too much for me, while the MOD 2 SC has reasonable
recoil, but a real bear for me to carry.

My S&W Performance Center .45 Shield was thinner and therefore..
a bit better for carry.

However, even though the ported barrel was good for recoil reduction..
the trigger was awful, and I could not shoot the Blazer Brass in it
without fear of the bullets shaving in the ports.

I'm also one that actually likes the triggers and the grip safety on the Springfields.

How many of you have had experience with the XD-S Mod 2?

What about the XDe in either caliber as well?

I have no need to go DA/SA, but know that some people do carry
them cocked and locked.

Reactions: kerberos

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a XDS Mod.2 in 9mm and love it.I traded a XDsc Mod.2 40 cal for the newer 9.While I liked the 40 and didn't have any trouble with the recoil,it was just a little heavy for me to carry a lot ,even with an Alien Gear holster.I have only been to the range 3 times with the XDs Mod.2 and am still getting used to it but since it has the viridian e series laser,it is harder to find a dedicated holster other than Cross Breed.I bought the black cowhide holster,instead of the tan horsehide, and it is so much stiffer than the Alien Gear than I used with the XDSC.
The XDs Mod.2 9 shoots well and so far has not had an issue with any ammo I've tried.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that the Mod 2 SC can be quite chunky to carry.

Some people are saying that the XD-S Mod 2 will fit in their XD-s holsters, so a XD-S holster for the
Veridian might work?

In videos, people state that SA went with the MOD 2 trigger for the XD-S Mod 2.

I've had both and preference would be for the XD-S trigger.

I'll hopefully get to handle a XD-S Mod 2 this weekend.

Then there is still the rumor of a PPS M2 in .45 ACP for 2019.

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
OP - Handguns don't have "stopping power." When you start pining for a .45 instead of spending your time getting good with your 9mm, head over to this link and re-read:

https://www.policeone.com/police-he...ne-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

Just be happy with what is working for you, and stop chasing unicorns. If you can reliably put two in the torso and another in the head as necessary, then you're good. If not...keep training until you can.

Now, if you're just needing an excuse to buy another toy...then just admit you want another toy. Cheers. :bier:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Very interesting post, OP.

I carry the XDe 45. It will do the job, no question. It has eaten and spit out a few thousand of all manner of factory and reloads with zero failures. I use it frequently for Idpa.

I carry it locked, hammer down, safety in. You could do pretty much any condition. Single, double etc. that a man reason I went with it.

It isn’t light. It’s a 45! It doesn’t have the best trigger. But it has very good ambi controls and ergonomics. As said above solid reliability and will take care of business if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I wonder what people who say that mean, or if they are confusing the two.

Internally the XDS is quite different from the XD. "Mod 2" versions are (mostly) cosmetic changes to the original lines.
This is an important point, and I was going to make it earlier but got busy with other things, then forgot to.

The triggers on the XDS (internally) are nothing like those on the XD pistols.

My (post-recall) XDS had such a crummy factory trigger that I bought a PRP spring & sear kit for it.

That helped a lot, especially the PRP sear. The geometry is altogether different.

My XD pistols have all had very nice triggers, requiring only a little break-in to be very good. The XD Mod 2 guns are essentially the same, internally, and the triggers feel the same to me, at least the few that I've handled.

I have also handled (and dry-fired) a couple of the Mod 2 XDS pistols. The triggers felt much improved from my old (original) XDS. I believe Springfield had a lot of complaints on the XDS triggers, and improved their factory sear, and perhaps changed some springs as well, although I can't claim to "know" that they did this.

Springer has also improved the XDS Mod 2 grip safety by adding a small, extended "tang" to it, making it more like the aftermarket ones.
It looks a lot like the Springer Precision part. Powder River has an enhanced grip safety too (I have one installed) and it's nice to see the factory doing it.

One more thing. The Mod 2 XDS I handled had a little pinky extension on the standard (short) mag. It's a lot like the Pearce grip extension that I use, only slightly smaller (but GTG.)

I would not hesitate to get a Mod 2 XDS. Springer has improved it (the XDS) a lot.

I've improved mine (XDS) a lot too (it didn't take much) and I will be keeping it. But yes, the Mod 2 (XDS) is better, IMHO.

While the Mod 2 XD is also "better" without question, IMHO, it also has very little in common with the Mod 2 XDS, apart from its looks.

Clear as mud, right ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got the XD MOD2 .45 and like it quite a bit. It runs a close second to my Ruger American Compact .45. I guess I like heavier guns.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While I like the XD-S Mod2, there’s not enough there for me to give up my original XD-S .45 bi-tone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I always liked the XDS. I personally think the 45ACP versions have better triggers in the originals. Can’t say what the Mod2 version of them are like, can’t find one around here.

I have the XDS in 3.3” 9mm and 45ACP. And the 4” in 45ACP. I carry AIWB (JM Custom) mostly during the summer time and pocket carry in cargo pants. The XDS disappears. Really like the way it carries.

I also carry in a Stealth Operator multiple use OWB holster. The XDS and XDE both click in and are secure. They both lay flat up against me, no printing on me. Can’t say enough good things about this holster. It’s inexpensive, carries the weapon flat up against me, and lightweight.

Currently carrying a XDE in 9mm, will be getting one in 45ACP! Love it! Which is weird because when I first handled it a was not impressed. But after two range trips I was use to the DA trigger, felt like I was shooting an older Smith. Very accurate and no recoil, IMHO.

As far as caliber choice, that’s personal. I like them all, but I do prefer a 40SW or 45ACP. I do not find the 45ACP version of the XDS too much of recoil, but also don’t want to shoot it that much either.

Lefty

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
About Mod2 XD models.........

I just traded a XD9 Mod2 Tactical. Great shooter. Great trigger.
I do believe the Mod2 triggers are WAY better than the original XD models. I personally can’t tell the difference between the Tactical that I traded off and the XDM that I was looking at. They were both very good striker fired triggers.

Lefty

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been wanting to handle a new or even used XD-S MOD 2 in 9mm or .45 ACP.

Well, still no luck, I did trade-in my 2 smaller .45s for a Ruger revolver, but that's a
different story.

In talking with my other half, then shooting my PPQ 45 and 9mm.

I'm just convinced that unless the .45 ACP is in a heavy revolver,
it is not controllable for me with my carpal tunnel and aging hands.

Currently my house gun, the PPQ .45 will be getting a light/laser combo..
but no more carry time,

So, the good news is that my wife said I will get to buy an early present
from her.

This will be the
XDs Mod.2 9mm with the Gear Up acc. if I
order it before Dec 31rst.
CALIBER9mm
RECOIL SYSTEMDual Captive Recoil Spring w/ Full Length Guide RodSIGHTSPro-Glo™ Tritium/Luminescent Front & Tactical Rack Serrated RearWEIGHT21.5 oz - 22.5 oz w/ X-Tension™

I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not much inside the hard case these days, no holster or mag pouch, ect.

My new XD-S Mod 2 9mm made it home with me, but it will be awaiting some
Talon Grips and a couple holsters.

More to follow.

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Registered
648 Posts
548CE428-45BD-4BD0-9E7A-CBD796DCA085.jpeg
I’ve got the XDs mod.2 45acp. Had it for ehh 5 or 6 months now I guess. It’s my primary carry gun now. No complaints and no failures of any kind with it. I’ve run American Eagle, blazer brass, Remington, Winchester, and hornady through both target and hollow points. 185-230 grains. It’s ate everything I’ve thrown at it. I traded a regular older model XDs 45 bi-tone with the stainless steel slide in on this one. I carry iwb with an alien gear 3.5 with the regular XDs w/laser shell.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice there. If I like the recoil with the 9mm, I might venture into the .45 ACP.

I've not read a single bad review of the XD-S MOD 2 in either caliber.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Honestly recoil isn’t bad at all with this one. I shot this better than my Glock 43 single stack 9 and my Rex zero 1 cp double stack 9. I also shoot it better than my full size 1911 45’s. Idk if it fits me better or just handles the recoil well or if with all my big bore revolvers I’m just use to it.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting.

The new gun seems smaller in all areas than my PPS M2, except in the
width. The PPS M2 might be a bit thinner.

I've ordered some Talon Grips for the XD-S MOD 2.

It seems to be the ideal candidate for fanny pack or deep cover carry.

Unlike some people, I do like the grip safety.

Nice when a gun is in a fanny pack, as I can't use a pocket holster
and try to take it off when drawing from the pack.

I don't fanny pack carry very much in the winter, but for some short trips it is a nice
option to have.

Best I've ever used:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-Ameri...h=item3f623f1d4a:g:MiIAAOxy~iJQ9y1O:rk:5:pf:0

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
99 Posts
You might be best served with a good 3” revolver.
You can load with 38 Special or low recoil .357 Magnum loads. I personally like the Speer Gold Dot 135 Grain in both the special and magnum loadings.
I carry a 442 as a BUG or when I really really have to appear unarmed it becomes my primary.
You’ve already admitted to difficulty racking the slide, issues with recoil, and other complications. Don’t feel bad I’m starting to have those issues too. I carry an auto loader now but I’ll be moving to the revolver in there not too distant future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts