Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a New Springer XD Subcompact yesterday in 40 cal.
I cannot get all 12 bullets in the extra 12 round mag. I can get 11 but then it will not go into the handle. I used there supplied mag loader and also a speed loader . Do I have to shorten the spring?

It seems the bullets are exerting enough pressure on the mag walls that it will not fit. It will fit up to about 10 rounds.

Any suggestions? Also the 9 round is ok. I was loading Hornaday XTP 180's.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Hmmm. You certainly shouldn't have to shorten anything and the mag shouldn't have problems going into the gun at capacity. I know mine were pretty tight when my mags were new and I had to use the mag loader to compress the spring enough to get the last round in the magazine. You might want to find another 12 round mag and see if it works better, and if so, have SA or the dealer you purchased the gun from replace the faulty magazine.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I had the same issue at first, mag spring is just stiff, get a butler creek Uplula mag loader.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Definitely DO NOT shorten the spring! I would suggest loading it as full as you can and store it loaded for a while, it should get easier.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had the same thing with my Glock G26 . I had a hard time inserting the mag.
when the slide was closed and the mag was full.
I ran mine less one round untill it broke in , it took about (3 months) and its fine now.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have a +2 for one of my mags, and I cannot get two more in,... So now I call it a +1 mag,.. ??? They lied, makes me think the government made them or something??? LOL

·
Registered
835 Posts
I had the same issue at first, mag spring is just stiff, get a butler creek Uplula mag loader.
It is difficult to get 12 rounds inserted without a loader. However, with a loader, I have never had a problem. If you ever start to believe that the magazine spring is getting softer, you can well believe that instead it is your hands getting tougher.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
You may want to take the baseplate off the mag and be sure the bottom of the spring isn't warped or something. Could also be some residue in there from the factory. Couldn't hurt to check.

I had a gun shop do me a "favor" and install Pearce grip extensions on my G26 mags. They used the wrong parts, and I could only get 9 in there. I took the mags apart and fixed the problem.:twak:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
are you SURE this is the 12 round mag?
the 10 round fits flat with the bottom of the grip. the 12 round extends about an inch past the grip.

My two 12 round mags will hold 13, IF the slide is locked back.
if the slide is not back, it will not lock into place.
I did not have any trouble with the 12 round mags holding 12 when new.
about 1200 round through the two of them now.

EDIT:
I'm in the 500 club now. :snoopy dance:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I haven't seen the mag, so this is totally a guess, but are you sure it's not a 10 rounder? A 12 rounder should have a little extra slack even when fully loaded so it can be seated in the gun. Since it's a thumb buster to get only 11 in it, I'm thinking with 10 it works perfectly. Just my TCW.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
New mags, especially double stackers can be really hard to load at first.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally got 12 in last night but I can only do it with Georgia arms virgin HP. The Federal Hydrashocks will not get 12.

Oh, and by the way I cannot be that stupid to think it is a 10 rounder.:duh:
It is a 12 rounder give US a little credit!

BUT the puzzling thing is after I got the 12 rounds in the mag IT WILL NOT SEAT IN THE PISTOL. It seems the walls of the mag are too large for the opening when fully loaded.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

Recieved new 12 rd. mag. from SA yesterday. It will load all 12 bullets
and it fits very nicely in the gun, So the problem was a out of spec magazine:duh:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I had the same kinda issue with my SA XD9sc... It took a few minutes of wondering "What the...?" before it finally took the last few bullets... it's just stiff springs IMO...

·
Registered
58 Posts
just palm it in hard....it will settle after a while. Dont let it get the best of u!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Recieved new 12 rd. mag. from SA yesterday. It will load all 12 bullets
and it fits very nicely in the gun, So the problem was a out of spec magazine:duh:
Well, by golly that was pretty easy! :smile:

The others have had some solid suggestions. When I first got my XD45 I could not get more than 11 rounds in. Used it with 11 for awhile and things worked out and 13 was no problem.

With the new XD40 getting all 12 in at first was hard if with the UPALULA. However after letting the mags sit for a day or so and cycling them a couple times they loosened up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts