Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first handgun a springfield XD40 subcompact. given the fact that I am new to handguns, I am also new to handgun ammo. that being said I am looking for any suggestion you guys may have as to what would be a good carry ammo. I thought the federal 180 gr. hydra-shok would be good but after reading a bunch of posts I am startin to think about goin lighter for recoil and quick followup reasons. anyway I am really confused :confused: , so any advise from fellow XD owners would be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone.

Stay Safe

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
try a few brands. If recoil is an issue, FED. does make low recoil ammo in a hydro shock. Win. Rangers, Speer gold Dot, ect. all are good choices as long as they work in your gun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have pretty much decided on hydra-shoks because I do like the expansion ... I am just really confused as to what weight would allow me to use the full potential of my gun, while allowing me to easy get off a quick second shot if needed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
XD40 Fan said:
I recently purchased my first handgun a springfield XD40 subcompact. given the fact that I am new to handguns, I am also new to handgun ammo. that being said I am looking for any suggestion you guys may have as to what would be a good carry ammo. I thought the federal 180 gr. hydra-shok would be good but after reading a bunch of posts I am startin to think about goin lighter for recoil and quick followup reasons. anyway I am really confused :confused: , so any advise from fellow XD owners would be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone.

Stay Safe
The only way to tell is to invest in a few boxes of 180 and 165 gr from various manufacturers and go out and shoot.:smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts