Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you XDm owners out there, can you help? :wave:

Im looking for a new CC gun, and from what i read related to the XDm, its a great gun. Here is the question: Given its size, how concealable is it? I have not held one yet, but from looking at it on the website, the handle looks a little long and wide. Are you able to IWB with out printing?

·
Registered
601 Posts
It depends on how you dress. I had an XD .45 which is about the same size as the XDm. It would disappear under a largish t-shirt and a unbuttoned dress shirt. Not quite the same size, but today, I toted a Sig P220 Carry OWB with the same clothing setup.

Your body shape will also affect how well you can conceal it. If your really skinny, and your shirts hang straight and smooth to your body, you'll print a lot more. If you've got some more shape to you - whether from fat or muscle, and your shirts hang away from your body, it'll be a lot easier.

So...bottom line is, yes, it is possible. I will say that it won't give you as many options for concealment. For example, I can carry my Sig P229 in a deep concealment shoulder holster under a buttoned, tucked in dress shirt. Of course, I can also carry it in an IWB or OWB holster under the same shirt untucked. My P220 (which has a longer grip) doesn't conceal in the shoulder holster. The weight of the gun also requires a better IWB holster than I have; so my only option for it is an OWB holster. The bigger you go, the less your options are. Of course, having 17 rounds of .40 or 20 rounds of 9mm on tap isn't a bad thing either.

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends on how you dress. I had an XD .45 which is about the same size as the XDm. It would disappear under a largish t-shirt and a unbuttoned dress shirt. Not quite the same size, but today, I toted a Sig P220 Carry OWB with the same clothing setup.

Your body shape will also affect how well you can conceal it. If your really skinny, and your shirts hang straight and smooth to your body, you'll print a lot more. If you've got some more shape to you - whether from fat or muscle, and your shirts hang away from your body, it'll be a lot easier.

So...bottom line is, yes, it is possible. I will say that it won't give you as many options for concealment. For example, I can carry my Sig P229 in a deep concealment shoulder holster under a buttoned, tucked in dress shirt. Of course, I can also carry it in an IWB or OWB holster under the same shirt untucked. My P220 (which has a longer grip) doesn't conceal in the shoulder holster. The weight of the gun also requires a better IWB holster than I have; so my only option for it is an OWB holster. The bigger you go, the less your options are. Of course, having 17 rounds of .40 or 20 rounds of 9mm on tap isn't a bad thing either.
Total agreement on the hi capacity issue :hand10::hand10:

Sorry, i didnt give my dimensions. Im 5'10" and go about 280 or so. My dress is usually business/business casual. OWB is not an option most of the year (summer in Houston :smoke23:), so its IWB only. I think I can make untucked shirts work some of the time, but not all the time.

It may not be an option for me to carry year round, but ill do my best.:danceban:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Everyone is different, and it would be best to get a firearm of that size and a rig to test it out, but this isn't an ideal world. I will point out that in FL summer I usually carry either a full size M&P or a government 1911 IWB with nothing to cover but a loose T-shirt (not huge or baggy, just loose and a bit long) and I have no problems concealing it. A couple of like-minded individuals that know that I carry can't tell without close inspection whether I've gone IWB or am pocket carrying my 442 so you'll probably be able to pull it off. Darker shirts with patterns work better, and with an over-shirt you should be able to conceal most anything. BTW I am 5'11" 160.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also carry two spare mags on the opposite side. Comfort may also be an issue due to the weapon's weight or size, try and determine your limits beforehand. A good quality belt and holster help immensely.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
With the proper holster, belt, and cover clothing, almost any firearm can be concealed. Many individuals conceal firearms both large and small...only you can decide what you want to work with...:yup:
Could one do the XDm...???...easily.:yup:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no issues CC the XDm.

Only the 9mm is listed on the Springfield page.
Thanks, and welcome to DC :wave:

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Basher,

Please take this advice and know that it's honest. I have an XD 9SC and there are times that I feel it's a hair clunky. The XDM is even bigger!

Guys try to chime in talking about how the carry DEAGLES all day long with a good holster, are fooling themselves. They might be carrying it, but not very comfortably or concealed very well.

Weight, thickness and grip length are all key!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
46 Posts
my dad carries one in a crossbreed and even though he's still self-conscious about printing, there is none to be seen

he's 6'2 around 215 lbs, but hes really broad shouldered so tshirt hang out to the side to a point where he could conceal just about anything without a problem
and he typically wears jeans and t-shirts

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'll have to respectfully disagree with C Hawk on this one, I can carry my M&P or 1911 all day comfortably and concealed well. It all depends on the person, my room-mate is the same height as me but somewhat heavier and he found that he couldn't comfortably carry an XD Compact and had to go to a smaller firearm. Just because one person can't carry something comfortably doesn't mean others can't, or perhaps their definition/tolerance of discomfort is different. Either way, you'll have to find out for yourself what you can do.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
I'll have to respectfully disagree with C Hawk on this one, I can carry my M&P or 1911 all day comfortably and concealed well. It all depends on the person, my room-mate is the same height as me but somewhat heavier and he found that he couldn't comfortably carry an XD Compact and had to go to a smaller firearm. Just because one person can't carry something comfortably doesn't mean others can't, or perhaps their definition/tolerance of discomfort is different. Either way, you'll have to find out for yourself what you can do.
You are a perfect example of the type of person I was talking about. There are many people on this forum who carry huge guns concealed, every single day. I mean no disrespect to anyone that does, as they are the ones who have to carry them. I gave my advice from a point of my own experience, I even thought a G-19 was a tad too big.

I will guarantee in a matter of one week, there will be the typical "I am looking for a smaller CC" post on the DC forum. Many people that are new to CC make this mistake. In my humble opinion, every size is one size larger for CC. For example, most compacts are a bit big and really are not compact enough. Now if a gun does not fit your hand then there is not much you can do other then grip extensions. I realize some people are built different then others and that can truly make a bit of a difference.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I’m the opposite; I started out small, Kel-Tec P11, and then found I wanted something bigger. I carry a Glock 19 now, and don’t find it uncomfortable at all. I am a bit bigger however 6 and 240. At a 20 degree cant, it conceals well and is very comfortable even when sitting and driving at about 3:30-4 IWB

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have A XDM and like it a lot as a shooter but the grip is long and protruds a bit and if you load the mag full up it gets heavy in a hurry.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd go with an XD subcompact. It is as accurate as an XDm (from what I read) for shooting at PD ranges and it's size will tend to easier concealed carry. The easier it is to carry the more likely you are to always carry and have it when needed.

Can you carry/conceal an XDm? Yes. You can conceal certain shotguns if you really want to!

I'm of the theroy to keep it as easy to carry as possible. My 2 cents.

Oh, and BTW, a sub compact will cost less than an XDm.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fair enough C Hawk, I didn't mean anything by it either. Like you pointed out and I alluded to, body type can make a big difference. It really would help to try something out but that is probably not an option for most people, though if you can even just get a hold of a few different sizes of firearm, unload them, and just try them inside your waistband that can give you an idea of what will work for you. My friend ended up going with a Millenium pro over his XD when he is CCing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts