Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a number of threads asking "whay should I get as my next gun?". My problem is that I don't know if my next gun will ever be available. Has anyone heard any rumors of more XDm models in the works. I personally would love to see a compact/subcompact be manufactured. Maybe a 3.5" model. Should SA make it, that will be my next gun. Until then, it will be my current XDm on my hip at all times. So has anyone heard any rumors about future XDm models?

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
My understanding was that there would be no compact XDm models. That the XDm was basically a premium version of the XD to be used in competition much like the high end 1911 race guns are premium versions of regular 1911's.

Don't know if anything has changed since I heard that last year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember hearing the same. One would think that in the name of inovation they would want to bring the supposed "M factor" to the other sized guns. Wouldn't a trickle down of technology be a logical progression? Maybe they want to put it off so they can win gun of the year year after year after year. There is a reason for the timing when introducing a new gun to market.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ditto on the XDm .45!

...if anybody from Springfield is listening, please make that gun.:bier:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can't find it right now, but I'll keep looking. I read on here or possibly XDTalk that Springfield IS working on a XDm in .45 acp right now. It might be out by end of the year or early next. :bier:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'd like to see a XDm45 before any sub version.

That would sell!
i was told by springfield that XDm doesnt come in a sub compact and are no intentions as of now to make a sub. the XDm 45 is in the makings.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
My understanding was that there would be no compact XDm models. That the XDm was basically a premium version of the XD to be used in competition much like the high end 1911 race guns are premium versions of regular 1911's.

Don't know if anything has changed since I heard that last year.

I think that's too bad, because while the XD is a fine gun, the XDm is just a leap beyond the original. I'd love a compact/subcompact XDm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thats a shame about no subcompact version.
I was really hoping that they would make a 3.5" version of it in 9&40 to stomp on the M&Pc
I had even thought about buying another XDm and chopping the grip down to the same height as their current subcompacts but I was told the subcompact mags wont fit it and I dont know what the difference in mags would be.

·
Registered
635 Posts
XDM45!!!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Supposedly, there will be a XDm45 coming out in 2010.

I read it over at XDTALK. I'm feeling lazy today, and didn't search for the exact post, but IIRC someone got an e-mail from SA confirming this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
DIY

Alrighty, what would be the fesibility of creating your own XDm subcompact (or covert model as Kahr would call it)? Take a stock XDM and shave off a inch or so of the handle so it is the same height as a XDsc, glue the remaing part of the backstrap on permanently, modify a XDsc magazine to catch/hold just like a stock XDm magazine.
The only issue I have with the current XDm is that the long handle tends to print if using it as ccw.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm hearing more of the same here too. It's all marketing.
The question one might ask is if the Compact slides will fit on the XDm series frames. (not the Subcompact)

With Smith and Wesson's M&P line available in a Compact, you would think that Springfield would have enough sense to produce the M series in compact/subcompact. But, and it's a doozey, what would then drive people to buy the current XD models? Absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Seems everyone is rushing to make compacts. No rumor would be out of bounds anymore.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think a subcompact version would kinda defeat the purpose. The M is supposed to be a match grade target/comp type gun but also a good defensive gun. You don't see many subcompact match guns. I doubt you'll ever see a smaller M

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey don't be a hater.
Alright I agree that came out a bit strong, but I had just come from the mp forums where they were doing nothing but badmouthing the XDs.
The fact is that I absolutely love the M&P slide shape and agressive serrations, 3.5" barrel, novak sites. The grip never felt anything nearly as comfortable as the XD grip which felt like a glove, almost second nature. The M&P mag release is crummy when compared to the smoothness and ease of access on the XD. Also I strongly prefer the grip safety on the XD for nothing more than piece of mind that there is no way its going off accidently in my pants when I conceal it. I wish there were a way to combine the best features of these two pistols because you would end up with a world beater. To top it off, design the slide stout enough for 40S&W +P and in doing so allow for 'kits' so you can easily change over to 357Sig and 9mm.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Making a compact or sub-compact version would kinda defeat the purpose of the XDm. What do I mean? Think about it, the "m" stands for Match, match means speed and accuracy. Smaller guns produce more muzzle jump which means slower target re-acquisition. Accuracy comes from the barrel length and harmonics. Shorter barrel means less accuracy and reduced muzzle velocity. The 4.5in barrel on the XDm is the perfect length for the handgun. Making it smaller would be disastrous. I do hope and have heard that they are making it for the .45

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Making a compact or sub-compact version would kinda defeat the purpose of the XDm. What do I mean? Think about it, the "m" stands for Match, match means speed and accuracy. Smaller guns produce more muzzle jump which means slower target re-acquisition. Accuracy comes from the barrel length and harmonics. Shorter barrel means less accuracy and reduced muzzle velocity. The 4.5in barrel on the XDm is the perfect length for the handgun. Making it smaller would be disastrous. I do hope and have heard that they are making it for the .45
Bingo. It would make absolutely no sense for SA to make a compact version of the XDm, at least while they are still producing the XD. They may eventually incorporate some of the "improvements" of the m into the XD, but I can't see them running two different guns off of the assembly line that would be basically the same. The m was developed as a competition ready gun, not as a small, lightweight, CC gun.

Hoss

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What are people talking about? Why wouldn't anyone want a "match grade" compact pistol? When I think match grade, I think better trigger, better barrel and a better/ more reliable action in general. Wilson, Les Baeur (sp?), Kimber and even SA have made a lot of money on 3" 1911's that many would consider match grade. You show me someone who doesn't want a "match grade" carry pistol and I will show you a liar.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts