Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between these two for new carry..

Friend of mine who own's one of every handgun ever made (I think)..he has 3 gun safes in his home.....has one and indicated that this gun may be toooooooooo small and toooooooo lite. That it will
rattle all the bones in your hand for days after shooting this thing....for that reason he was not real happy with the weapon.....

Any experience with this....is he correct.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have both except my 30 is a sf. I say 30 if you can carry it. it's my edc except when dress doesn't allow then I go with XDs

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have both except my 30 is a sf. I say 30 if you can carry it. it's my edc except when dress doesn't allow then I go with XDs
I appreciate the info, but how does the XDS shoot..is it as violent as my friend makes it out to be.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I imagine, based specs and design, the Glock would be easier on recoil.

The Glock also holds more rounds, at 10+1 compared to the XDS' 5+1 (or 7+1 with extended magazine).

For civilians, they're about the same price. However, I'd feel I'd be getting more gun/better value with the Glock if I had to choose between the two.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No, the XDs is not bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised with how relatively light the recoil was - I expected it to be pretty harsh, but it was totally controllable.

I think an LCR chambered for .38 had more recoil than my XDs (although I just rented the LCR and only ran 1 box of ammo through it) given lighter weight and no autoloading action to absorb the energy. I have some +p HST rounds that I want to run through my XDs for possible carry; that might be more of a handful - but really not a big deal so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had this same dilemma before I bought my xds. It all really came down to round count for me. I want both but have not been able to find the 30s anywhere nut that will be my next purchase. Both are excellent guns and my xds is a breeze to shoot. I added pierce grip extenders to my 5 round mags and picked up a couple 7 rounders because I have big hands and needed the pinky support to have the full effectivness of my combat grip.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
XDS .45 recoil is very manageable.

My suggestion...wear shooting gloves because the textured grip WILL dig in to your hands.

XDS is a great EDC...it is however imho NOT a good "range" gun.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The recoil on the XDs wasn't too bad for me...but I only ran a few rounds through it. I imagine 50 shots through it is an experience. I am in the market for a .45 now myself, but I am leaning to a G30S or a smaller 1911...I know wide range but that's where I'm at now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There's only one way to answer your question....try before you buy! I went with the XDs for size because as far as I'm concerned, Glock doesn't make a "compact" pistol! I really enjoy mine, shoots great, accurate and concealable for warm weather carry. I too, was on the fence with those folks talking about recoil and sore hands. For me, neither of those issues hold true. The XDs points well, is accurate, trouble free and I love the grip. I've really enjoyed all the range time with my XDs.

I did purchase Pearce grip extensions along with the factory extended 7 round mag and quickly found I actually shoot better without the Pearce grips. Friends have tried the XDs and really like it's performance as well. It's really personal preference as with all hand guns.

Yes, I have Glocks and like them, but this time around I wanted a compact and am sold on the XDs! Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's only one way to answer your question....try before you buy! I went with the XDs for size because as far as I'm concerned, Glock doesn't make a "compact" pistol! I really enjoy mine, shoots great, accurate and concealable for warm weather carry. I too, was on the fence with those folks talking about recoil and sore hands. For me, neither of those issues hold true. The XDs points well, is accurate, trouble free and I love the grip. I've really enjoyed all the range time with my XDs.

I did purchase Pearce grip extensions along with the factory extended 7 round mag and quickly found I actually shoot better without the Pearce grips. Friends have tried the XDs and really like it's performance as well. It's really personal preference as with all hand guns.

Yes, I have Glocks and like them, but this time around I wanted a compact and am sold on the XDs! Good luck with your decision!
My concern stems from the fact that I have a wee bit of authur-ittus in my right thumb joint. Don't want to spend that kind of money for a weapon that would aggravate the authur-ittus....but not sure the Glock would be any different from that standpoint.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Due to your arthritic condition I would go with the Glock if I were you, but I would try to go to a range you can rent guns and see if they have one. A friend of mine is a huge HS Produkt fan, going all the way back to when SA first started importing them to the US and he has let me fire a number of them - including that .45 Anyone who says it is not a bit tougher on the hands to fire as the Glock is, either doesn't really know or is an out and out liar. Again, it is a great gun, I had no malfunctions with it and shot very accurately and it would probably, as someone else said, suit you very well as an EDC but not so much as a range gun. Only problem with that for me is that I like to practice a LOT with my Glock19 which is my EDC. I could not see owning an EDC gun that you would not want to shoot a lot on the range too, but maybe that is just me. I do intend on adding one, if not a couple of XD's to my collection down the road. They are fine guns, just a bit over priced in my mind is all.

·
Registered
333 Posts
XD(S) vs Glock is a common debate that always stir up a biased debate from brand fans on both sides.

Both gun manufacturers have proven quality and reliability.

The best way to find your answer is to shoot both of them on a rental range. With your arthritis, you may discover that .45 may not even be an option. Shooting them will also tell you before you buy if other issues are there for your fit such as grip feel and angle, ease of loading, target acquisition, etc.

Better to spend a few dollars test driving than be stuck with something you don't like after spending hundreds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dben002 and BigPony

·
Registered
287 Posts
With respects to your friend, do your own research. Shoot both of the guns. As several have said both the XD and the G30 are good choices if that's what works for you. Remember it's your hands holding whatever gun that's going to save your life. You better be damn comfortable with it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts