Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as I am thinking of selling my xds 45. After all that is in the news, the low capacity of the xds 45, and me always getting trigger bite while not enjoying shooting it, I am looking at other options. I have a tcp I carry when I need a pocket gun. I would prefer not carrying extra mags which is why 5+1 in the xds has me second guessing my choice.

I am going up to the lgs tomorrow and will hold the following. Please add guns I should take a look at. My home defense is a g17 gen 2 so I was also thinking consolidation of ammo to mostly 9mm may help the pocketbook. I was thinking of waiting to see a Beretta Px4 Compact Carry as well when released. Night sights a plus

Glock 26
Ruger SR9C
Glock 19

Please add to the list. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
S&W M&P 9c
S&W M&P Shield

Reactions: petes67bird

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, will add those to the list. Mp9c looks nice as the height is lower than the g19 and mod 2

·
Registered
739 Posts
I also have the XDs in .45 and agree the 5+1 flush mag is a bit low capacity so I carry two more 7 round mags for a total of 19 on me. But because of the low carry capacity, I have been looking at and testing the XDs Mod 2 in 9mm which have 13+ 1 flush and 16+1 extended mags. So if I go the same way, flush mag in the weapon and 2 spare extended mags, I'd have 46 rounds of 9mm. If I can't handle what comes at me with 45 total rounds of 9mm... I should just drop the gun and let the BG shoot me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The standard capacity for my Ruger LC9s is 7+ 1, but sometimes I carry the extended mag. to go 9+1. Still retains that small size.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Have you thought about carrying the G17? A good hybrid holster from one of the many holster companies might make it easy to carry. However, if you just want a new pistol, which I perfectly understand, then I'd go for the Glock 19. The magazines from your 17 will work at the range and you would be familiar with the mechanics of the pistol.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
My XDS 45 is my daily carry...

My FNX 45 Tactical is for when I want greater capacity and can go casual...

My S&W M&P40c is for when I need something in between...

Reactions: yocoffee

·
Registered
44 Posts
... I would prefer not carrying extra mags which is why 5+1 in the xds has me second guessing my choice.
If I may, this particular line of thought might bear some re-think. A semi auto's highest sources of failure are ammo and/or mag related. Not carrying a second (or third!) mag to help mitigate this seems counter-indicated.

Thread jack over.

Glock 26 provides the most effective round count for size coupled with shoot ability and reliability of anything out there, IMHO. It's almost the same size as your XDS, just a tad thicker.
You can even carry the 17 mags for reloads. (Hint :smile:)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I carry my XDs 4.0 45 with the 6 round mag. I feel pretty good about 7 rounds of 45. It is hot here and the thinness of the gun really helps. For greater capacity I have a Sig P320. I will probably order a subcompact frame for it as well.

One pistol I really like but do not own is the FNH FNS 9C. Sized in between the Glock 19 and Glock 26 with a really nice trigger.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've got a 19 on order and OP's post is one of the reasons. I carry the XDs but I'm not really fond of it. I also picked up a 30sf in case I feel like I need 45 acp instead of 9mm. In Kalifornia, I can only have a 10 round mag anyway, and the 19 and 30 are essentially the same size excepting a little extra thickness on the 30. We expect to leave Kalifornia before too long, so I'm leaning towards the 19 for EDC because of the high round count. We'll see how the 30 does in a week or two when we head to Utah, where I'm permitted (still no permit in my home state of Kalifornia).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just curious as I am thinking of selling my xds 45. After all that is in the news, the low capacity of the xds 45, and me always getting trigger bite while not enjoying shooting it, I am looking at other options. I have a tcp I carry when I need a pocket gun. I would prefer not carrying extra mags which is why 5+1 in the xds has me second guessing my choice.

I am going up to the lgs tomorrow and will hold the following. Please add guns I should take a look at. My home defense is a g17 gen 2 so I was also thinking consolidation of ammo to mostly 9mm may help the pocketbook. I was thinking of waiting to see a Beretta Px4 Compact Carry as well when released. Night sights a plus

Glock 26
Ruger SR9C
Glock 19

Please add to the list. Thanks

I'll preface by saying I am a Glock guy. But I sold my xds for a g 26 and would do it again 100 times out of a 100. The 26 is more rounds and less weight. Heck the Glock 19 weighs less than my xds did. I carry the 19 most of the time and the 26 when I need something smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/advice. I really appreciate all of the help. I am taking my dad to the range today for Father's day, so I will take a look at all the models listed here. The FNH looks very interesting as well. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My XD Mod 2 9mm holds 13+1 without the extended mag. Accurate, light and comfortable to carry.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
M&P 9c
XD mod 2 in 9 mm or 45ACP

1 - 20 of 39 Posts