Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering selling/trading my XDS 9 for a Glock 43. Wanted some opinions on this.

My thoughts, I like the XDS, but I have shot the Glock, and I also like it. I have a 42, and normally carry it for pocket carry, but carried it in an IWB the other day, and compares to the XDS, it was way more comfortable. I have a G19 I carry in the winter it when cover garments allow, so the XDS is more summer carry, and the 42 is when pocket carry is all I can do.

So, since capacity of the 43 can be almost the same as the XDS, and I shoot both of them well, I was leaning towards the change. And, it would make all my defensive guns standard, so consistency is good, right. Might even sell the 42 and pocket carry the 43 if need be.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am seriously considering selling/trading my XDS 9 for a Glock 43. Wanted some opinions on this.

My thoughts, I like the XDS, but I have shot the Glock, and I also like it. I have a 42, and normally carry it for pocket carry, but carried it in an IWB the other day, and compares to the XDS, it was way more comfortable. I have a G19 I carry in the winter it when cover garments allow, so the XDS is more summer carry, and the 42 is when pocket carry is all I can do.

So, since capacity of the 43 can be almost the same as the XDS, and I shoot both of them well, I was leaning towards the change. And, it would make all my defensive guns standard, so consistency is good, right. Might even sell the 42 and pocket carry the 43 if need be.

Thoughts?
The capacity of the 43 "can be almost as much as the XDS" -- with the XDS' shortest magazine. The XDS with one of the extended 8 or 9 round magazines becomes a quite handy belt gun.

What should you do? Whatever you want. Not enough difference between the two guns to mater to me. The XDS is (essentially) the single stack Glock should have brought out years ago.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you have a gun you like and shoot well, keep it. Save up and buy the other gun you like when you can and have both. When I find something that I use well and it doesn't have any function issues it becomes a part of the family.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Shoot both and also try to shoot a Shield. Whichever you like and shoot best, get it! Problem solved! Any of these is a good choice, so get what YOU shoot best!

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
The G43 is heavier than the G42. Not sure it would be as comfortable for you IWB as your G42 is. For the weight of the XDs, you could get a G26. Only a bit thicker. Shorter grip. Mag compatibility with your G19.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

Thoughts?
When all you can do is pocket carry, the 43 is a great.
If you are going to carry IWB, dress around the 19 (I can conceal a 19/23/32 under light clothing).

·
Registered
401 Posts
I finally got a chance to handle the 43 a couple days ago...while my XDs was on my hip. I'd love to have one. I have to say, I like having the option to carry 9+1 rather than 6+1 (I was carrying the short mag in my Sneaky Pete at the time but usually carry the larger mag when I can). That said, that little Glock felt so nice in the hand. On the other hand, I'm almost expecting that my new 19 will outdo the XDs as a main carry gun, AND, since I'm living in the Kommunist Republik of Kalifornia, I can't buy a Glock 43 anyway.

What would I do? Save up and buy the 43. Then either save up again for a 19 or trade the XDs for a 19.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have the XDS and the Shield, while my wife has the G43. I shoot best with the Shield, followed by the G43, then the XDs, but I think out of the three the XDs is better one out of the box. My eyes had trouble seeing the Shields sights so I had installed Truglo's on it. Great improvement. We did the same for the G43 because both of us hate Glock drop-in-a-bucket stock sights, rather having 3-dot. The trigger on the G43 had to be worked on twice. The gunsmith measured it at a 10lb pull. At the time there was no after market trigger improvements so they had to smooth it down. Helped for awhile, but now it seems stiff in comparison to the Xds and Shield.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
I have a 43, my friend has an XDS. I havent shot the XDS but he likes my 43 better than his XDS.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a Glock 43, and when I am limited to 7; 9mm rounds, a revolver starts looking more and more attractive. Id rather have 5; 357 magnum rounds at my disposal. Then again I have never finished off an elk with a 9mm.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
I have a Glock 43, and when I am limited to 7; 9mm rounds, a revolver starts looking more and more attractive. Id rather have 5; 357 magnum rounds at my disposal. Then again I have never finished off an elk with a 9mm.
What revolver do you carry? Since you say 5 rds, IM guessing either a J frame or an SP101? .357 ballistics out of short barrels are about the same as 9mm.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you are going to carry IWB, dress around the 19 (I can conceal a 19/23/32 under light clothing).
This right here. If you are able to carry IWB based on your clothing, then I'd say take advantage of that and carry a mid-sized (or maybe a compact like the G26). It's not ALL about ammo capacity. Sight radius, the size of the grip, ease of manipulating controls....subcompact pistols give up more than just round count.

·
Registered
76 Posts
...whatever you shoot better. I carry a Glock 26 and actually am pretty competent with it. However, I shoot my Sig P239 much more accurately. It depends on you. Stick to that platform and shoot the hell out of it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
We have both at the Gator Farm Tactical and both of these firearms are in my A list. My partner 2Feathers carries the XDs9 and my DIL carries a G43. In this case you should shoot both and then choose the one you shoot best. Then buy it and really lay on the training.

·
Registered
631 Posts
What revolver do you carry? Since you say 5 rds, IM guessing either a J frame or an SP101? .357 ballistics out of short barrels are about the same as 9mm.
J-frame with a 3 inch barrel. Its got an edge on a 9mm, but a 4 inch barrel is where a 357 magnum starts to become a real gun

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
J-frame with a 3 inch barrel. Its got an edge on a 9mm, but a 4 inch barrel is where a 357 magnum starts to become a real gun
Model 60? I used to carry one of those. It does have a small edge over a 9mm at 3", but the g43 is 3.4. It's a close comparison, but we all have different preferences. In the end, I certainly don't want to be shot with even just one round of either of them.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Look at the LC9s as well. My wife's carry gun and we both shoot it well. Trigger is very smooth and breaks clean. Seems like it fit our hands better than the 43.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts