Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my plans for a carry gun changed a bit. I originally was going to get a nice 1911, but got to thinking about what I was about to spend (around $1800 after tax) and decided I'd rather have a couple different guns than have all that wrapped up in just one carry piece.

So, one of my choices for the ones I want to buy is the Springfield XDS in 9mm or the smith and Wesson shield in 9mm.

I've watched videos and all that on the two of them, and I'm still torn between the two.

I have other XD guns and like them. I have never owned a M&P before so that'd be new to me.

My carry would be dependent on what I'm wearing, so it could be iwb, aiwb, or owb. So it will be in different holsters depending on the day really. It seems like it's borderline big for Pocket carry, but with the right holster it may work.

So what do you guys think? Are they both equally as good and should I just go with what I know, or does one have an advantage over the other?

Or if someone owns both and could provide their likes and dislikes of both that'd be ideal. Thanks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Haven't owned and xds but I have owned a shield for 3 years now. It's a good shooter, easily concealed and comfortable to carry. I have carried daily for about a year now during work hours, IWB with hybrid type holster.
The only negative I have is, that you really have to keep an eye out on the finish and the mag release, I have had the mag release seize to where I couldn't even push the button. I also have surface rust on the slide, not happy about the finish on you gun. I have read several other complaints about the mag release rust problem.
If Glock would have had their single stack 9 out at the time I probably would have looked at it also.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have both or should I say I had the XDS and I kept the shield. I have a PC shield and I had the XDS in 9 and 45. I also have the 45 Shield.
First off they are both great. It really depends what fits you better. Both were 100% flawless and reliable. For me I shot the 9mm Shield better than the 9mm XDS. I like the bore axis and the magazines better in the Shield. I use the MagGuts +1 and +2 (with the base pad change) They have been 100% reliable for me. The Shield has been more accurate for me as well. I suspect I got a good one.
I also have a Ruger LCP Custom, Ruger LCP II, Ruger LC9S pro, Glock 42, Glock 43, Glock 26, Glock 33, Kahr P9, Kahr CW380, Shield PC 9mm, Shield 45, S&W M&P compact, Walther PPS M2 and S&W 340PD. I carry the Shield PC, Glock 43 and S&W 340PD most of the time.
I sold both my XDS in 9 and .45. Try to rent them and see which you like the most both are fine weapons

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I have a XD, Mod 2, and Shield. I've shot the XDs in 45ACP. The XDs' draw back is that it's slightly bigger, heavier, and more expensive. The Shield's draw backs are it's trigger, no real slide "release", no fiber optic front site, the mags are difficult to load by hand, and because I have small hands, I have to break my grip to be able to depress the mag drop.

If you want something similar to the 1911 (grip wise) and to what you're use to, get the XDs. If you only manually rack the slide, don't care about the stock sights, want something lighter, basically want something different, go with the Shield. If it were me, I'd go with a Walther PPS IMHO an

·
Banned
747 Posts
I also have a Ruger LCP Custom, Ruger LCP II, Ruger LC9S pro, Glock 42, Glock 43, Glock 26, Glock 33, Kahr P9, Kahr CW380, Shield PC 9mm, Shield 45, S&W M&P compact, Walther PPS M2 and S&W 340PD. I carry the Shield PC, Glock 43 and S&W 340PD most of the time.
I own or have owned most of those guns as well. My most carried guns are the G43 and a S&W 340SC. (I sold my shield as I found it redundant to the Glock 43) So there you have two people, with vastly different experiences, that have owned a majority of the smaller pistols on the market, who both chose the same guns. Something to ponder.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I forgot about the glock 43. I've never owned a glock, but have shot them a few times. It was a little different feeling and I wasn't big of the sights, but that's nothing I couldn't overcome.

For the slide release, that's a non issue. I never use the slide release anyway. I always pull the slide back manually.

The finish issue on the shield sort of turns me off though. Even though it's a tool, I still like them to look good haha

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Thanks for the input so far. I forgot about the glock 43. I've never owned a glock, but have shot them a few times. It was a little different feeling and I wasn't big of the sights, but that's nothing I couldn't overcome.

For the slide release, that's a non issue. I never use the slide release anyway. I always pull the slide back manually.

The finish issue on the shield sort of turns me off though. Even though it's a tool, I still like them to look good haha
Never heard of or had any rust or finish issues on my Shield. I've had mine for about 2 years now I think. The finish on the slide release lever is a little thin, but has not rusted on mines at least. Mines still looks good.

The 43 is good too, but it has a shorter grip and one less round if that matters to you or not.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Have shield, have shot the XDS. Liked the shield better.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
Have both and like them both. The Shield has an edge in ergonomics for me. I suggest you go to a range and rent them and see which one you like best. These are popular guns and thus many ranges have them as rentals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I happen to have both the XDs 9 3.3 and the Shield 9, both in the standard model. I may not be a whole lot of help because I like them both. I've never had a malfunction with either.

If I had to pick one over the other I'd probably lean towards the XDs. The trigger guard on the XDs seems to have a higher undercut (if I'm using the right terminology). Using the standard flush mag I can get a full 3 finger grip on the XDs, whereas I can only get a 2 finger grip on the Shield. For me it results in faster and more accurate follow up shots. I can certainty use the extended mag on the Shield and get basically the same results at the range, but I carry concealed OWB and I prefer the more compact carry using the flush mag. I also like the XDs having both the grip style safety like a 1911 along with the trigger safety.

I rotate between both, but I carry the XDs a lot more than the Shield now. If you can I'd try to go to a range to rent and shoot both, then decide if you like one over the other. I can say that both have been dependable for me.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I happen to have both the XDs 9 3.3 and the Shield 9, both in the standard model. I may not be a whole lot of help because I like them both. I've never had a malfunction with either.

If I had to pick one over the other I'd probably lean towards the XDs. The trigger guard on the XDs seems to have a higher undercut (if I'm using the right terminology). Using the standard flush mag I can get a full 3 finger grip on the XDs, whereas I can only get a 2 finger grip on the Shield. For me it results in faster and more accurate follow up shots. I can certainty use the extended mag on the Shield and get basically the same results at the range, but I carry concealed OWB and I prefer the more compact carry using the flush mag. I also like the XDs having both the grip style safety like a 1911 along with the trigger safety.

I rotate between both, but I carry the XDs a lot more than the Shield now. If you can I'd try to go to a range to rent and shoot both, then decide if you like one over the other. I can say that both have been dependable for me.

Funny. We posted at the same time. We both have both, you give the XDS the nod, I give the Shield the nod, and we both suggest going to the range to rent them.

OP, I think you know what you need to do.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I know people get tired of hearing this response, but you really do need to hold them and shoot them for yourself. Which feels better in your hand? Which do you shoot better? For me, that was the XDs. Had a Shield for a while, but eventually sold it. Everybody's different, though. Go check them out first-hand, and I bet your decision will be much clearer.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have both and XDs 9mm 3.3", and a Shield 40. I guess I have about a thousand rounds thru the XDs and maybe 250 rds thru the Shield. I'm not particularly fond of either of them. The grip in the XDs chews my hand up...I wouldn't be able to take it to an all day training program where I shot upwards of 1000 rounds. I just get sore after 100 rounds or so. The Shield, OTOH, didn't make me so sore, but after 100 rounds or so I had a bluster in the web between my thumb and index finger. None of my other guns have ever given me any problems.

Obviously, I'm not going to get sore or have a blister using one of these in self defense. But, you do have to practice enough with them to be able to use them without flinching. Make no mistake, I do not plan to give up either of these. Each of them do have a place in my arsenal. They just don't get used as much as others.

Ok, Some considerations: if you like the grip safety a la 1911, the XDs is definitely a good choice. If you prefer the thumb safety, you can get that on the Shield. BUT, that thumb safety is tiny and not nearly as operator friendly as a 1911. I'm pretty sure I could get a talon or other grip that might take a bit of the stress out of shooting either of them, just haven't tried it yet. As far as the mags, you have to pull out the extended mags from the XDs, but the mags drop pretty easily from the Shield.

·
Registered
14,264 Posts
Haven't owned and xds but I have owned a shield for 3 years now. It's a good shooter, easily concealed and comfortable to carry. I have carried daily for about a year now during work hours, IWB with hybrid type holster.
The only negative I have is, that you really have to keep an eye out on the finish and the mag release, I have had the mag release seize to where I couldn't even push the button. I also have surface rust on the slide, not happy about the finish on you gun. I have read several other complaints about the mag release rust problem.
If Glock would have had their single stack 9 out at the time I probably would have looked at it also.
I have had the rust issue with the mag release was well. The moral of the story is that you cannot neglect your carry gun. Proper maintenance prevents that. As far as the finish, mine is still fine, but it it a working gun that I plan to keep so I really do not care.

The Shield is a great gun.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have had the rust issue with the mag release was well. The moral of the story is that you cannot neglect your carry gun. Proper maintenance prevents that. As far as the finish, mine is still fine, but it it a working gun that I plan to keep so I really do not care.

The Shield is a great gun.
It gets a weekly cleaning.
And I now remove the Mag release each time and clean it well.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well my plans for a carry gun changed a bit. I originally was going to get a nice 1911, but got to thinking about what I was about to spend (around $1800 after tax) and decided I'd rather have a couple different guns than have all that wrapped up in just one carry piece.

So, one of my choices for the ones I want to buy is the Springfield XDS in 9mm or the smith and Wesson shield in 9mm.

I've watched videos and all that on the two of them, and I'm still torn between the two.

I have other XD guns and like them. I have never owned a M&P before so that'd be new to me.

My carry would be dependent on what I'm wearing, so it could be iwb, aiwb, or owb. So it will be in different holsters depending on the day really. It seems like it's borderline big for Pocket carry, but with the right holster it may work.

So what do you guys think? Are they both equally as good and should I just go with what I know, or does one have an advantage over the other?

Or if someone owns both and could provide their likes and dislikes of both that'd be ideal. Thanks.
The shield fits my hand better. It's a bit slippery so I use the Hogue Jr Grip and it makes a world of difference.
I have replaced the sights with TruGlo TFX Pro with fiber optics and tritium for night.

I think the biggest upsides of the shield are:
1) very soft recoil for a small pistol. To be honest I find it as easy to shoot as my 5" PPQ.
2) I have big hands, but my pinkie still has a 1/2-2/3 rest on the handle with the 7-round magazine in place
3) The capacity is unparalleled for the size. with the mag-guts extension, you can have 8+1 in a tiny package. the new mag-guts also have their own baseplate which is 1/2 the size of the extension in the factory 8-round magazine and still fits 9 rounds. So you can have 9+1 if you're willing to add 1/4" of grip.

The biggest downside:
- pretty bad stock trigger. I didn't change mine, as I think it's fine for a carry gun and it's smoothed out some after over a thousand rounds. I can get reasonably reliable headshots at 25 yards, and that's about as much accuracy as I need. everything else makes up for it. there is no other way to get an 8+1 single-stack with such a short grip.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Those were the 2 same carry guns I was looking at. Watched the vids and everything. Nothing huge stood out better or worse than the other. I ended up going with the xds because of how the grip felt in my hand. On the 9mm, with the 8 rd mag, it's a nice feeling. Plus it looks better :smile:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts