Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a new EDC gun. I'm torn between the Springfield XDs & M&P Shield. Also not sure on what caliber is best to get. Do you guys prefer something with more magazine capacity or more power? Would like to hear some pros & cons from people that actually own or have fired these pistols.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Shopping for a new EDC gun. I'm torn between the Springfield XDs & M&P Shield. Also not sure on what caliber is best to get. Do you guys prefer something with more magazine capacity or more power? Would like to hear some pros & cons from people that actually own or have fired these pistols.
How about both? Springfield Armory

·
Registered
5 Posts
Around where I live he Shield is $180 cheaper than the XDs. I like the way the shield feels in my hand slightly better than the XDs. I bought the Shield in 9mm and I'm very happy, just took forever to find one!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have never fired the XDs. But I currently own a Shield. I went with 9mm for a few reasons. I shoot it better than any other caliber. I can cary more rounds than a .40 or .45. And the 9mm is an adequate choice for self defense. The fact if the matter is I can put more rounds downrange faster than my buddy with his .45. And the numbers will prove it takes multiple rounds to stop an attacker. I also went with the Shield because it was easier on the wallet. It has an amazing trigger too. And if you are concerned with the manual safety, I don't even use mine. Its rather redundant on a pistol with a trigger safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1 on the XDs the 9mm comes with seven shot magazine with 9 round available. Shield 9mm comes with one 6 and one 8 round magazine, largest magazine available 8 rounds. Besides that all other differences are miniscule.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had a XDS45 it was accurate and easy to carry, I did have some failures with it I sold it, I now have a Shield 9mm and like it. The Shield is accurate and fits my hand well, the trigger is better than I expected, come with two magazines and sells for $400-$450.

I would not hesitate to buy another XDS in 9 mm though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
+1 on the XDs the 9mm comes with seven shot magazine with 9 round available. Shield 9mm comes with one 6 and one 8 round magazine, largest magazine available 8 rounds. Besides that all other differences are miniscule.
Actually the Shield comes with a 7 and an 8 round mag, unless they've changed something since I bought mine. The Shield fits my hand very well, and is a great shooter and disappears as an EDC.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just MHO I would get the shield. I bought mine in 9mm because I love the 9mm round. More rounds in capacity and more to be put down range. I would not carry a Springfield as a CCW because of the beckstrap safety. The less things that could hinder me in a tactical situation the better. And if your worried about the thumb safety just keep it off. I love my shield. Fits me perfectly, fun to shoot, and easy to conceal. S&W did a great job with this one.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
XDs has the better trigger. Shield is the better gun IMO at a much better value. Around here the 9mm versions are back to $399.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I carry the Shield in 9. I can't think of one thing I don't like about it. I'm sure the XDs is just as good a choice. Every XD pistol I ever shot was great.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts