Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am sure that there will be a 1001 differing opinions on this topic, and all with their own merit, and I look forward to reading them.

I am in the process of deciding which to purchase for my next EDC. I currently have a Ruger P94 in 9mm and it is just to darn big for EDC. I was interested in moving up to a .40 or .45 for my next piece but I think I have decided to stay in the 9mm family for now.

I have read a ton of differing opinions on both of these guns and not really been able to draw a complete conclusion on my own yet. I am planning to head over to my local range where they have both of these in stock for rental and test them out side by side.

After I decide which of these to purchase (cost is an issue, if it wasn't I think I would be getting a Kimber Ultra Carry, or a Sig P229 or P226, decisions I know) I will need to get a new carrying solution, I think that IWB will be the way to go, seems the cleanest way to carry.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that, I am looking at the PT111 and most likely carrying at about 4.

·
Registered
446 Posts
XD9sc...that is where I ended. I was looking at the PT111 and the PT709, and a number of others brand/guns as well. I was really interested in the 709. In the end I like the proven gun, higher capacity, and Taurus is a little rough about their warranty. I've never heard anyone having issues with the SA warranty.

The additional $100 is worth the wait if you need to save it up IMO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If I were you, I would buy the XD. They're fantastic guns. I speak from experience.

From what I hear Taurus is hit or miss. For that reason, I will never own one.

Just my 2 cents. Please don't flame me. :gah:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
This is what I like to call a "no-brainer."

Get the XD9sc and a crossbreed supertuck to carry it in. Problem solved. :yup:

(actually, rent both, find which one works for YOU, then go for it.)

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Make notes on your calenders, I'm going to suggest someone purchase an XD. (But only when choosing between a Taurus and the XD)

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Get the XD. If it's too bulky, you'll just have to try something else later on. At least that's how my collection has grown...:wink: But, you won't regret the XD.

Oh yeah, and I second what SIXTO said:haha:

'Glock on

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thank you all for your opinions! Since I am trying to stay in a price range that is around $500 does anyone have any other suggestions? I have always leaned more to the Springfield side anyway, this will help me out a lot!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a PT111 Millennium Pro and an XD SC in 9mm. I shoot better with the XD, so that is what I carry. The Taurus is my wife's gun if we have to get armed and I open the GunVault.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok, thank you all for your opinions! Since I am trying to stay in a price range that is around $500 does anyone have any other suggestions? I have always leaned more to the Springfield side anyway, this will help me out a lot!
Think about it... over time, you will spend far more money on ammunition than you spent on the gun. So get what you really want and enjoy it!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have the XD45 Service, not the compact and I also have a Taurus PT-145. I have shot them side by side and both have performed perfectly. I carry them both in custom IWB's but the PT-145 is much lighter. Your choice should nt be what we say.....but what works for you personally. The holster is going to make all the difference in the world.

tex45acp

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I had an XD Service 4" and a Taurus PT-140. The Taurus ran perfectly but soon after purchasing it, I joined the Taurus talk forum, and was amazed at the number of horror stories I read. After a while I no longer had confidence carrying it, so I traded it on a Sig; that was about 4 years ago. Still have the Sig! Also traded the XD in on a Glock 19, after the XD choked on +P ammo
(I always thought the XD was too big and bulky for carry anyway). The G19 is a great gun!

Sometimes you pay a little more, and actually get what you pay for. I never heard of any one else having the problem I had with the XD. That would be my recommendation.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
I can conceal my brand-new 9mm Taurus PT-92 [Beretta knock-off] under my Alaska coat. Well, it is big and heavy, being stainless steel, but also pretty and shiny and it looks and feels so good! Gun guys are sensible shoppers.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I bought the Taurus PT709 for $369 and it works great for me. I've put 200 rounds through it flawlessly and it has a lifetime warranty. Light, compact, thin, and easy to carry in various manners. Great features (stainless slide, 3 dot sights, adj rear sights, thumb safety, trigger safety, glock style take down, etc.). It fits my hand well and is as accurate as my Ruger P95 at 50 feet (which is very accurate). Perhaps I got lucky or perhaps Taurus has made a great product. I'm very pleased with it and have confidence in it. Just my experience. Try them both out if you can and see what you like. Most top name brands are quality (Springfield, Glock, Smith, Ruger, HK, etc.) so it comes down to your purpose, needs, preference, and features.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I know that some folks don't care for the Taurus but I have a 9mm 709 Taurus Slim and love mine. Not a single problem with around 300 rounds through it. Conceals great. My dad also has one with no problems and so does my uncle.

And of course I know that the XD is a good gun.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I hope to put at least 50 more rounds through mine this weekend. I have a frozen pumpkin that is just screaming for some target practice. I might have to break out the old 357 magnum for the finale.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I carry a PT111, and have had zero problems with it and carry it in a Crossbreed, or Fist OWB. I know I am in the minority here. I see nothing wrong with the XD either. Shoot them both, figure where you want to carry for sure and go with which ever one you think will suit your needs best.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts