Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-mas came early for me. I got my XS 24/7 Big Dot Tritium Express Set sights last Friday. I had them installed on my Sig P229 at my local gun shop yesterday.

Pro: For my purposes, and with my ageing eyes, I think I’m really going to like these sights. I like shooting slow tight groups on a paper target as much as the next guy and my factory three dot tritium sights were pretty good for that. However, this firearm’s primary purpose is for use in self-defense and it just took me too long to find the front sight during SD shooting drill.

After only one day of dry-firing around the house, I’m really surprised at how much easier and quicker it is to pick up that big dot, dot the “I” with it, and fire in every kind of lighting. And as far as accuracy goes (with the laser cartridge at least), I am hitting a 2-1/2” reflective target square with pretty good regularity from 7 yds away, and really good regularity at 3 yds.

Con: When doing the installation, the XS front sight slid through the dovetail freely; no friction at all. The gun smith said he’d never seen something like that before. So basically, the red threadlocker is all that’s holding it in place. I’ll just have to wait and see what happens when hot rounds are flying out of the barrel and the slide is racking back with each shot.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
X-mas came early for me. I got my XS 24/7 Big Dot Tritium Express Set sights last Friday. I had them installed on my Sig P229 at my local gun shop yesterday.

Pro: For my purposes, and with my ageing eyes, I think I’m really going to like these sights. I like shooting slow tight groups on a paper target as much as the next guy and my factory three dot tritium sights were pretty good for that. However, this firearm’s primary purpose is for use in self-defense and it just took me too long to find the front sight during SD shooting drill.

After only one day of dry-firing around the house, I’m really surprised at how much easier and quicker it is to pick up that big dot, dot the “I” with it, and fire in every kind of lighting. And as far as accuracy goes (with the laser cartridge at least), I am hitting a 2-1/2” reflective target square with pretty good regularity from 7 yds away, and really good regularity at 3 yds.

Con: When doing the installation, the XS front sight slid through the dovetail freely; no friction at all. The gun smith said he’d never seen something like that before. So basically, the red threadlocker is all that’s holding it in place. I’ll just have to wait and see what happens when hot rounds are flying out of the barrel and the slide is racking back with each shot.
I would have stopped right there and returned that set. There's no way I'd trust a front sight that's held in place by thread lock.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have stopped right there and returned that set. There's no way I'd trust a front sight that's held in place by thread lock.
I thought about that, and if it does come loose and I can't secure it (someone just recommended another type of retaining compound), I will be sending it back. I may also go ahead and contact XS too and report the problem.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I thought about that, and if it does come loose and I can't secure it (someone just recommended another type of retaining compound), I will be sending it back. I may also go ahead and contact XS too and report the problem.
I would definitely do so. There's two big problems, as I see it. First off, what if you were to actually need to use your firearm, only to find the front sight missing? Secondly, it'll probably fall off and get lost and then you've got no choice except to go buy something that you've already spent money on once. They may do something for you now, but they won't do it because you said it was wrong out of the box but you chose to just go with it and then subsequently lost it.

Finally, unless you were actually there and watched the gunsmith when he mounted it, don't be too shocked if the truth is he got a little too file happy when he was file fitting it and just shaved too much off. If that's the case then he owes you a new sight, not XS.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I recently installed a front Big Dot on my pistol, and I carefully filed it down until it began to partially fit the dovetail of the gun (not filing until it could pass all the way through), and then forced it in the rest of the way. Turns out there's a gap between the base of the sight and the bottom of the gun's dovetail, although the sides are reasonably tight together (gun and sight), meaning I had to file it that much or it would not have fit. Seemed different than other sights I've put on. I did end up using a lot of thread lock on it. So far so good after hundreds of rounds of .45 ammo.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally, unless you were actually there and watched the gunsmith when he mounted it, don't be too shocked if the truth is he got a little too file happy when he was file fitting it and just shaved too much off. If that's the case then he owes you a new sight, not XS.
Actually, I was there. He didn't use a file on it at all.

Reactions: TX expat

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Actually, I was there. He didn't use a file on it at all.
That's good, at least you know it's an XS issue going in. Let us know what they say if/when you contact them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If it shoots loose you can always have the 'smith dimple the bottom surface with an auto center punch.

Additionally, threadlockers are not really designed to fill gaps. For front sights that need some extra security I recommend using Loctite 620 retaining compound. It applies just like threadlocker but will fill small gaps and it offers good impact resistance.

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
I can shoot at least as well with no front sight as I can with one of those headlight-looking tritiums glaring back at me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can shoot at least as well with no front sight as I can with one of those headlight-looking tritiums glaring back at me.
Maybe at 3 yards but after that I bet you couldn't. ;) The first time I tried them I thought they were crap and took them off. I just tried them recently and was able to put shots in the black at 25 yards. The main driver for me was fading eyesight and bifocals. Once you get serious about learning them or have a need to, they work.

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
Maybe at 3 yards but after that I bet you couldn't. ;) The first time I tried them I thought they were crap and took them off. I just tried them recently and was able to put shots in the black at 25 yards. The main driver for me was fading eyesight and bifocals. Once you get serious about learning them or have a need to, they work.
I'll bet I could.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Love the XS Big Dot Sights. I put them on my EDC M&P9C and it improved my aim considerably. I'm a tri-focal wearer and with the XS Big Dot Sights I can see the sights and the target like I have young eye's again. LOL. With these sights I hit everything I point at and I'm not that good. Dot the 'I" and it's a hit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Love the XS Big Dot Sights. I put them on my EDC M&P9C and it improved my aim considerably. I'm a tri-focal wearer and with the XS Big Dot Sights I can see the sights and the target like I have young eye's again. LOL. With these sights I hit everything I point at and I'm not that good. Dot the 'I" and it's a hit.
Nice! Its almost like it's cheating ;)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I would consider finding another gunsmith.

I wouldn't trust a front sight that was "glued" in with no friction to keep it there. He should have peened either the sight or the dovetail before it left his shop.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have Big Dots on two of my Glocks and they work fine. However I'm in Mike's camp; in defensive scenarios I can shoot as well without sights as with.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have 2 Colt New Agents that are Gutter Sights and shoot them very well. Its all about point and shoot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm afraid Mike would take your money. Aiming can be accomplished in different ways. Sights, and the alignment thereof, is but one of those ways.
In hindsight maybe I shouldn't have said "after 3 yards" and stuck with his open ended statement that he could flat out shoot better, which would include any distance. ;) If Mike has actually given the Big Dots an honest try and can shoot better without them, I tip my hat to him. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just a little good natured ribbing on my part. The sights are obviously not for everyone but for some of us with aging eyes, they help.

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
In hindsight maybe I shouldn't have said "after 3 yards" and stuck with his open ended statement that he could flat out shoot better, which would include any distance. ;) If Mike has actually given the Big Dots an honest try and can shoot better without them, I tip my hat to him. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just a little good natured ribbing on my part. The sights are obviously not for everyone but for some of us with aging eyes, they help.
No worries, I took it all in a good-natured way.

Here is a vid from perhaps my all-time favorite instructor, who I also regard as a friend. His userid here is AzQkr:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts