Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my big dots in the mail today! Havent had a chance to really look at them (at work now) but i think i will really like them. Should i install them myself or have someone do it? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
A friend with a Glock 22 put his Big Dots on himself and said it was fast and easy. He also is pretty handy with guns and disassembly/reassembly, etc.

I chose to have a gunsmith put them on my Sig P239.

I'd say pay the extra couple bucks and know that they are done right.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I'm having a pair put on a 1911. Not the big dots, I'm going with the small dot.
It needs some milling done, So I'm having it done by a smith.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you do it yourself and bugger the slide or sights up you have no recourse where a smith will have to make it right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get a professional to do it with their "sight press" and prevent issues. Trying to do it yourself with out a press is difficult. Hope you enjoy the new sights, I love mine, they rock. And they make a lot more sense for night shooting than the traditional 3-dot sights.

Best Regards,
Ensiferum

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
No better feeling than saving a few bucks, and doing it yourself. Just my $0.02. If you need any help, PM me and I will be more than happy to give you a few pointers.

The "proper tool", is called a 2x4 and a rubber mallet. That is all I needed to both remove the factory rear site, and replace it with the rear night site. The "tool" that came with the XS kit had the other tools that are needed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you're doing it on a Glock, it's truly a 'no-brainer'. Go to YouTube and check XS Glock Installation. I'm NOT mechanical and I did my 27 in 20 minutes. 500 rounds later and I LOVE the X/S Big Dot.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Piece of cake to do it. Granted, a sight vise is nice, but you can do it with a nylon punch too.

You'll need a 3/16th thin wall socket for the new front sight, and if you're using factory sights on it now, you have two options for front sight removal. If you don't care about saving it you can put a small punch on the bottom and tap it out. Alternately, you can remove the tiny plastic stake with tweezers and it'll drop out (practically).

I've done 10 sets or so for myself and for others. No buggers and no complaints. Well--the one set of XS sights that I did (under protest) are coming back off and the shooter is going to Warren Tacticals. Just too hard to shoot accurately with that softball on the front!

Dan

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i got them installed. It was no big deal really. One question to anyone who has put sights on a glock before though. I had to tap the rear to get it started. After it was centered it was loose enough to move back and forth by tilting the gun. Is this normal? I tightened the set screws and added the locking compound so i think it will be ok i just didnt expect it to be that loose. Liking them so far! Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do it yourself! I'm a fat old Vietnam Vet and I did it in about 3 minutes. The tool you need is included in the package. There are good U-Tube videos to show you how. Anyone who can clear a Glock has the skill to install these sights. So, if you can't clear your pistol without an accidental discharge, hire a gunsmith.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts