Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 2002 S&W 386PD a few weeks back the original night sights were worn out. This week I had a set of XS Dot The "I" Standard night sights installed on "Black Betty". I have the XS Big Dot sights on my Glock 23 and S&W 342 however I felt the smaller standard dot was a better fit for the L-frame 386PD. Now I need to get to the range and shoot it to see if I made the right choice. :image035:
Sorry about the sideways second photo. My phone is acting up.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: bkent

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice! I recently put Big Dots on my Walther PPS M2 carry. So far I really like them. Leads to faster target acquisition with my aging eyes. I've been thinking about getting a J Frame or a Ruger LCR. If I do, I'd like to mount XS sights on it.

Keep us posted on how the Standard Dot works for you.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Nice! I recently put Big Dots on my Walther PPS M2 carry. So far I really like them. Leads to faster target acquisition with my aging eyes. I've been thinking about getting a J Frame or a Ruger LCR. If I do, I'd like to mount XS sights on it.

Bkent: did you replace the front sight only on your PPS? I'm considering the change as well. Where did you wind up purchasing the sights if you don't mind me asking?

thx!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks for sharing FlaRon. A couple years ago I put a set of these sites on my M&P9C and I LOVE them. Unless I do something wrong, they just don't miss. Can't wait to hear how you like them on your 386PD.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I've got a XS Big Dot front sight on my 342 J-frame and I love it . Great for a fast front sight pickup on the short 1 7/8" barrel.
Unfortunately not all j-frame models have a front sight that can be removed and replaced.

FullSizeRender.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bkent: did you replace the front sight only on your PPS? I'm considering the change as well. Where did you wind up purchasing the sights if you don't mind me asking?

thx!
Hi Rockymonster. I replaced both the front and the back. I really like the shallow 'V' over the traditional slot or 'U' because it's easy to see the dot over them, allowing you quickly center the dot over the 'V.' To state it another way, I don't loose site of the front sight, when moving the barrel left and right, trying to get it centered in a slot. I'm not saying they're magic, but they work better for me than three dots. :)

I purchased them on Amazon as they were cheaper. I got the set with tritium which is $130.00 on the XS website for $98.00 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Dot-Walther-Pps-Set/dp/B004SY6K94

One thing I'm not 100% sure about is if I'd rather have the plain white strip on the rear sight or the one with tritium. The rear site with tritium has a white outline but under most light conditions I think the plain white strip would be more visible. But I'm splitting hairs ;)

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Thanks for the info bkent! I viewed a YouTube video on installing them and it looked relatively simple unlike installation on some other pistols. You bring up a good point about the rear sight differences; need to consider that. Just to clarify on the dot size; did you go standard or big dot?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts