1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
In the 70's and 80's my band from Dallas used to play in El Paso regularly. After hours, we would go on foot into Juarez to party until the wee hours. Never had a problem, although it probably wasn't as safe as we thought at the time. Nowadays, I doubt if we would survive even one attempt to go into Juarez at night. Mexico is owned by the cartels now, and they do whatever they want.

·
Registered
33,897 Posts
I took a family vacation to Mexico back in the late '50s (Note the proper abbreviations for years) ending up in Acapulco. Then I spend an evening in Juarez around 1990 while TDY to the army base there. It was a trash hole then. I can't imagine it being any better now.

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
In the 70's and 80's my band from Dallas used to play in El Paso regularly. After hours, we would go on foot into Juarez to party until the wee hours. Never had a problem, although it probably wasn't as safe as we thought at the time. Nowadays, I doubt if we would survive even one attempt to go into Juarez at night. Mexico is owned by the cartels now, and they do whatever they want.
What was the name of your band. I used to bartend in Dallas in the 80's. I may have heard y'all
Correection '80s. Thank you OldVet

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
So...How long before this crime is in the news showing we need to ban "assault rifles"...3....2...

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
So...How long before this crime is in the news showing we need to ban "assault rifles"...3....2...
They have all the "assault rifles" they need, courtesy of Operation Fast and Furious.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What was the name of your band. I used to bartend in Dallas in the 80's. I may have heard y'all
Correection '80s. Thank you OldVet
Cool. My band in the mid 70's to 80's was called "The All Fingers Band." We played Mother Blues, Sneaky Pete's, Gerties, Cardi's, "I Gotcha" in Forth Worth, Spencer's Corner, etc. Where did you bartend, KC?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
We went to Cancun a few years ago when my wife won a free trip to a resort. I have always heard the resorts are very safe and while we were there we did feel safe from the criminal element. However, the first night we are there, we go to dinner and we see someone performing CPR on someone by the pool. We found out much later he drank some counterfeit alcohol and passed out in the pool. While the resort may be safer from violence, the counterfeit booze is also a real danger.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
They have all the "assault rifles" they need, courtesy of Operation Fast and Furious.
Maybe a few.

But the cartels get a lot of their automatic weapons directly from Mexican military arsenals. The corruption is so pervasive that even army generals are on their payroll. Not to mention others at the very top of their "chain of command."

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Maybe a few.

But the cartels get a lot of their automatic weapons directly from Mexican military arsenals. The corruption is so pervasive that even army generals are on their payroll. Not to mention others at the very top of their "chain of command."
I am sure you are correct. This was another of my too subtle attempts at humor/sarcasm.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
My massage therapist is from Mexico (I assume she is here legally) and needs to go back for a medical procedure and is too scared to go. Her husband doesn’t want her to go either. That’s terrible that folks can’t even go visit without fear of getting killed. Sounds like Detroit or Chicago. :yup:

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
Cool. My band in the mid 70's to 80's was called "The All Fingers Band." We played Mother Blues, Sneaky Pete's, Gerties, Cardi's, "I Gotcha" in Forth Worth, Spencer's Corner, etc. Where did you bartend, KC?
Cafe Dallas, Belle Starr, Billy Bob's.
Been to Mother Blue's and Sneaky Pete's back in the day.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
^^ Oh, I haven't forgotten about Eric. That was one of the greatest travesties if justice I ever witnessed.

Reactions: G26Raven
1 - 17 of 17 Posts