·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes I think articles like these are written to get a rise out of the gun community. It creates controversy and what publication doesn't love controversy?

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
I've quit trying to enlighten those who think having a gun is not a necessity. What other individuals say, think, or feel about weapons is no longer of any concern to me...as long as those things don't conflict with my desire to be prepared.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The stupid is strong with that one...

I love the "I have been doing XXXX for XXXX years and never needed XXXX, so having XXXX is dumb". I have driven roughly 500K miles since turning 16 and have never NEEDED my seat belt, but I still put it on everytime.

Second, hikers and backpackers are notorious gram counters. Are you seriously going to agonize for months over how to save a few grams on your stove, tent, and shoes, and then pack two pounds of loaded pistol on your hip? You may as well carry an external frame pack and a canvas-wall tent.
You carry the correct equipment for the environment at hand.

Finally, and most importantly, carrying a gun changes the way we interact with and feel about others. For thru-hikers, the social element is an enormously rewarding part of the experience. They meet people from around the world, adopt kooky trail names, share information (including who might be sketchy or carrying a weapon), and coexist for a brief time in a remarkable place, doing a remarkable thing. Bring a firearm into that dynamic, and it won’t be the same. Others don’t know you—they don’t know your training, demeanor, judgment, or intelligence. All they know is that you have a weapon and, with it, the power to hurt them. And that’s all that truly matters. Guns intimidate.
Now we have entered bizarro world, where guns are the only thing with "the power to hurt", but not knives, hiking sticks, rocks, hands or feet, and the concept of concealed carry is dismissed.

First, any responsible owner knows that the highest priority is the security of their weapon at all times. On the trail, that becomes a real issue, since there’s no way to safely store your weapon. Want to go for a quick swim? Sorry, you can’t leave your sidearm unattended. Need to head into town for a resupply? Public transportation is off-limits, and most businesses don’t allow firearms. Want to grab a cold beer at the local watering hole after a particularly humid stretch of trail? Bummer, because in most states guns aren’t allowed in bars.
The one section of his article that has some logic and critical thought, particularly for the multistate AT hiker, but has no bearing on someone in the Rockies or AK.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Yet another opinion writer wrapped in his own fear ["...It’s guns in other peoples’ hands that make me nervous."], ignorance, and narrow viewpoint [ "...To kill game. That’s what they’re built to do."], and portraying himself as an expert.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Sometimes I think articles like these are written to get a rise out of the gun community. It creates controversy and what publication doesn't love controversy?
This is a 'feel-good' article written to the 'woke' crowd. There's nothing to convince me his opinion is relevant to my needs afoot in the wilderness, but reinforces the anti-gun stance of folks who've already made up their minds on the issue.

Bless his heart just the same though.......

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
What is the age of the author? Perhaps he is a “Hipster.”

The definition of a hipster was not clear to me until son #2 helped me out.

“They dress and look like lumberjacks, but they never get dirty and would be eaten by animals if they actually went in the woods.”

·
Premium Member
33,724 Posts
What is the age of the author? Perhaps he is a “Hipster.”

The definition of a hipster was not clear to me until son #2 helped me out.

“They dress and look like lumberjacks, but they never get dirty and would be eaten by animals if they actually went in the woods.”
Real lumberjacks don't need to carry axes.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Move along. Nothing to see here.
An arrest was announced Sunday after a machete attack on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia left one man dead and a woman seriously injured. James Jordan, 30, of West Yarmouth, Mass., was arrested early Saturday on a federal complaint charging him with murder and assault with intent to murder in connection with the “senseless and brutal attack” on the two unidentified hikers, Abingdon U.S. Attorney Thomas Cullen said.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/appalachian-trail-virginia-deadly-machete-attack-arrest

All it takes is one story like this to make me a believer.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Articles like this leave me scratching my head. https://www.outsideonline.com/2397355/dont-hike-with-guns?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=onsiteshare
Author claims to be a hiker and has had firearms training but his grand conclusion is there are better ways to stay safe than carrying a gun. Apparently we gun carriers are afraid and carrying will cause us to escalate a situation rapidly. No stats or data to back up the claim. Wow.
That guy's opinion to hike w/o a gun doesn't influence my choice to carry one.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts