Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I’m not anti-gun, nor am I a city-dwelling ideologue.
Get ready for reasons why you shouldn't have a gun.

The only time I carry one into the woods, however, is to hunt. To kill game. That’s what they’re built to do.
There are many different types of guns made for many different tasks. Having the long resume of carrying guns that the author claims, he ought to know this. Especially since he claims to have carried a personal defense gun professionally.

the more firearms present in a situation, the greater chance you have of being injured or killed.
One might say that if the bg is the only one in the situation with a gun, your chances of being injured or killed are pretty high.

Then the author goes on to paint gun carriers (other than hunting) as being paranoid. People are victims of armed robbery/mugging and assault daily. Less than lethal options (OC spray, etc) are great layers to self defense. A sidearm is a great tool in the woods.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The Author is an idiot and their words do not rule me.

I no longer listen to those that say I do not need a firearm. They can live as they like. I won't judge them. I will live as I like and carry.

Oh, and what was that about how to tell the difference between black bear scat and grizzly bear scat? Grizzly bear scat smells of bear spray and is mixed with expensive hiking gear????:danceban:

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Sometimes I think articles like these are written to get a rise out of the gun community. It creates controversy and what publication doesn't love controversy?
There you go. When any media takes what one crackpot says and makes national news out of it, you can bet the farm that it is NOT because of the informational value of that little piece of news.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Yet another opinion writer wrapped in his own fear ["...It’s guns in other peoples’ hands that make me nervous."], ignorance, and narrow viewpoint [ "...To kill game. That’s what they’re built to do."], and portraying himself as an expert.
those are his own fears & beliefs, and therefore we should abide by them.
i believe this is called "projection".

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Ill make sure to not interrupt the bear who is attacking the person who thinks it’s unnecessary to carry a gun.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Another case of misused statistics.
If you extrapolate an average of two million hikers per year since the turn of the century, that equates to a murder rate of roughly 0.008 per 100,000 hikers.
That is correct, but then to standardize it to national standards, you must multiply it times 365, because homicide rates are measured in cases per 100,000 per year, not per hike.
Also, if your argument is that it's incredibly safe to hike and people already carry guns... Then why are guns a problem?

But like water on a grease fire, they tend to escalate conflict rapidly. And if you’re in a defensive position, you probably won’t come out ahead.
My gun has never escalated a conflict. In fact, I'd argue I back down from conflict much faster than when I was unarmed (and younger).
Also an interesting point he's making. Once your at a disadvantage, no point in fighting, lay down your life.

Still, some people will insist they need a gun just in case. This means one of two things: they are completely terrified of some unspecified threat
... Do research before you embark on any adventure. Identify threats—bears, people, weather, fire.
......In my backyard, grizzly bears roam freely, as they should. Sure, each year bears maul people
......... I’ve had dozens of grizzly encounters, run-ins with polar bears on Arctic ski expeditions, and more than a few awkward conversations with disturbed individuals over the years
That's rather specific for being unspecified.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
A local man and woman were just attacked on the AT here. The man was a combat vet who took up hiking to help him deal with PTSD, he did not survive the knife attack from an individual who had been reported numerous times to LEO for acting strange/aggressive.

There are a couple of known serial killers who use our national parks and hiking trails for victim selection. A hiking trail is no different than anywhere else, if you cannot effectively protect yourself you are prey for predators.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Real lumberjacks don't need to carry axes.
My Dad spent a few years as a lumberjack in Canada during his youth. Even Chuck Norris would have had to prove his worth to be accepted in camp. With AND without an axe.

But to the OP.... I get sick and tired of arrogant elitists telling me what I should and shouldn't do when they don't know their arse from a hole in the ground.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
It is authors such as this idgit that convince me I have zero responsibility to protect those fully capably of carrying who choose not to carry from those that do.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts