Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting times tonight...

An old friend I don't get to see very often because he lives about 5 hours away happened by. Long story short, he's not the most dedicated gun owner, and about a month ago without even asking me he bought an XD9SC. The nerve of him to buy a gun without asking me first.:tongue:

Anyway, he sort of regrets it now, and after we ate I asked him what he was going to do...

Yeah. I know. BAD! BAD!!! You don't need another XD! Bad!

Don't worry about him too much, he plans to replace the gun with something better. I even took him to the safe and showed him everything. I told him not to even think about a gun until he was ready to learn how to use it. And call me first next time, I won't buy your next mistake... unless it's another XD...:tongue:

Anyway it'll be a while before I get to actually fire it, but I have to admit now that I've had about 30 minutes to really fondle it and dryfire it and all that (things you can't politely do in a gunstore), I have to admit it's a pretty smart little package.

The proof will be in the pudding though, I need to try shooting it with the flush 10 round mag. To be fair, I have discovered that simply folding my pinky underneath it produces a fairly strong hold on the gun. I know the XD platform tames recoil well, so I'm optimistic that 9x19 out of the subcompact will be very controllable. As much as I praise the .40, I think my control will be greater with the 9mm in the shorter gun.

I have a large supply of magazines and the like already, so that's nice, I even have two holsters that fit it, well 4 technically but 2 of them suck.

I am thinking this could be a nice option for special situations. I don't think it's been shot more than 50 times and I'm confident it's never been cleaned.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
no worrys bud , its allways trading material to a real gun ( a sig or a 1911 ) lol

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I shoot with my pinky under my subcompact to dont forget you can get the sleeves and fit the 15 rounders in and have fullsize grip

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I had some time with an XD-9 last year Euc and found it a very pleasant platform.

No real need to get one as I am so (now) SIG'ified but I could well imagine having one for carry duty.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Euclidean said:
Well I am interested really in seeing if I can fire it well with the flush mag... honestly, if you're going to use the grip extension, you might as well go with the XD Service.
I don't kow about that. if you get the mag base extension, at least you still lose some grip protrusion.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
yeah but for range work reloading 15 rounds is better than 10

Also use the 40 cal mags for the sc and you get 13 in them +1 in pipe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bud White said:
pass on them they pop off to easy if bumped uless they changed the design and i didnt like the way they felt
Ugh. NOW you tell me. :aargh4: :stups:
I just got 'em and installed 'em. i'll have to mention if I manage to knock 'em off tomorrow.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Looking forward to the range report Euclidean. If Springfield would make a slimmer version of the XD I would look at them a lot harder. As is, they're far too thick to be comfortably concealed by my skinny posterior. I do believe they're nice to shoot though.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I personaly dont understand why everyone gets so eaten up on what thier " pinkie" is doing while shooting , if it hangs off the end well then i guess i am shoing miss manners how to shoot a gun as you drink tea , but other than that it really does not affect my shooting , do i prefer to shoot full grips , yes , would i prefer to carry a short one , again yes i dont loose any accuracy or controalability with a short grip , it just feels funny anyway my thoughts your mileage may well vary ( YMMWV ) lol

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well this is one time where I think it's the anatomy of the individual shooter coming into play. My hands are ever so slightly "screwed up" even though they look normal.

As a teen I suffered a series of minor injuries (that still took me to the ER) to the hands. Amazingly I've yet to have surgery or pain in the hand, but it does have one interesting consequence: I find it very awkward to move my right ring finger without moving my right pinky, etc.

So when I "squeeze" with the middle and ring fingers, I "squeeze" slightly with the pinky too. Since there's nothing to squeeze against, the natural consequence of this is that it's uncomfortable and puts a mild cramp in my hand. My pinky does not like to go unsupported.

Part of it is that I'm sort of clumsy too.

·
Super Moderator
23,565 Posts
Hey - What a friend! Wish I had one like that........woooo whoooooo...

:danceban: :danceban: :danceban: :danceban: :danceban: :danceban: :danceban: :danceban: :danceban: :danceban:

Hope it shoots good for ya! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Euc, man, look at gun ownership like legalized polygamie, and you get to make all the choices. Sooner or later you need to find a Miss TX that can cook and clean, not just the Berthas.:gah:

Sorry, even the baby-turd green Glocks are more attractive!:blink:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Rob72 said:
Euc, man, look at gun ownership like legalized polygamie, and you get to make all the choices. Sooner or later you need to find a Miss TX that can cook and clean, not just the Berthas.:gah:

Sorry, even the baby-turd green Glocks are more attractive!:blink:
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've managed to put a few rounds through a 4" XD 9mm. I liked it but I'm more accurate with my GLOCK 26. As far as my pinky not being on the grip, I'm indifferent. I can shoot it well (better than the 4" XD) and I hate the Pierce extensions. They work fine but I feel kind of cramped.

·
Registered
940 Posts
now that I've had about 30 minutes to really fondle it and dryfire it and all that (things you can't politely do in a gunstore)
You, sir, need a better gunstore.

I let customers dry fire anything they'd like, as long as it's not a new revolver or something that can be damaged by the process (some rimfires, etc).

Amazingly, the serious repeat customers in the area seem to come by the shop here regularly and I see 'em buying more from us than anyone else.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts