Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By way of introduction, I am a former police officer, now an attorney, and I wear a suit every day. Often I go to courts where I have to luck up my piece with the court officers or in my car.

These are my requirements
1) 100% reliable
2) concealble in a pocket holster or perhaps an ankle rig (I take off my coat at work, and can't be seen armed at the water cooler, or even a shoulder holster for that matter!)
3) sufficient stopping power

ok, I currently have a Glock 26 which may very well be the perfect choice, also I have a Beretta Model 21 (.22)

ideally I would love to carry the Beretta, because I love the light weight
HOWEVER, .22 is obviously not ideal, altough I believe that it would put down the perp (Hinckley ring a bell?), also, the Beretta is picky with ammo, and although I know it likes hot rounds it, it is still prone to jamming

the Glock is probably a great choice, although it is a little heavy in the pocket

anyhoo, let's hear what you have to say...

I am considering perhaps a Model 340PD Revolver (the lightest .357)

whatta ya'll think?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
When I have to conceal under difficult conditions, I carry my tiny Seecamp LWS32. Very reliable, very concealable in a pocket, on a ankle or even on a belt...IWB.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Any of the S&W alloy frame revolvers with shrouded hammer or Ruger LCR.

·
Registered
100 Posts
sig 232 in a thunderwear. all day comfort standing or sitting. pretty fast, very secure.
what bulge? :)
dont all lawyers have a big package?

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I am very happy with my lightweight J Frame... a 340CT.

Lots of carry options because of it's light weight. I have carried it in an ankle holster, SmartCarry, pocket holster (pictured) and IWB.

:hand10:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I would suggest a revolver (642 or LCR) or a single stack 9MM like a Kahr PM9 or similar...or even a LCP if you are ok going to a 380 ACP.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I vote for the Ruger LCP. Easily the handiest piece I own. Accurate too. Shown here with a D.M. Bullard pocket holster.

Here is is next to a S&W 642

For comparison, next to a Buckmark dipped in TacSol

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
S&W J frame with .38 specials or Kahr PM9 depending on which would fit your pants the best. Big difference between pocket carry in dress pants versus dockers versus jeans. Go to the store and try them on for size in the cloths you wear most often.

If neither of these will work, then you may want to consider a .380 like the ruger LCP although I think the .380 is sub-par for SD caliber.

Same considerations for dress pants that tend to be lighter and more revealing than heavier fabrics. I would think a J frame under suit pants would stick out like a sore thumb and no one wears a cell phone on their ankle.

If you make good money and don't mind working out picky ammo choices the Roghbourgh (sp?) R9 might be a good choice. Personally I think they're too much money and they are reported to be very picky on ammo. I can't imagine shooting such a small 9mm and I think even a PM9 is going to have quite a bit of muzzle flip.

Out of the whole bunch I'd probably try to make the 642 work in a pocket holster. I do know the Ruger LCP in .380 will carry in a pocket better because it's flatter and more naturally squared than the buldge of a revo's cylinder.

Good Luck

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Any of the S&W alloy frame revolvers with shrouded hammer or Ruger LCR.
Ditto!!!^^^^

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
crossbreed supertuck holster for the 26 might meet your needs,allows your shirt to be tucked in over gun and can be drawn fairly quick if need be

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
IWB tuckable rig. !

What type law do you practice.?

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
You don't need another gun. You just need a Smartcarry holster, so you can carry your G26. I use this same combo, in a suit, every day.

I used to pocket carry a PM9. In addition to reliability issues, some suit pants have shallow pockets - with your coat off, the grip could be visible to folks standing behind you.

Smartcarry is way better, IMHO. Do a search - you'll see.:yup:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Kahr MK9 in tuckable Comp-Tac holster

The Kahr MK9 is a very thin gun with short grip and gives you 6+1 rounds of 9mm. I use an appendix carry holster which is IWB and tuckable. It conceals well that way.

·
Banned
66 Posts
I'd keep the Glock 26 . I'm in the same boat as you pretty much and am probably going to go with a SmartCarry or maybe a Belly Band, I haven't decided for sure yet.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Another vote to keep the Glock-26.:yup:
You already know the gun, you just need to modify the carry. It seems like the logical choice to me.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
crossbreed supertuck holster for the 26 might meet your needs,allows your shirt to be tucked in over gun and can be drawn fairly quick if need be
+1 on the CrossBreed. They've got an excellent reputation, try their holster for 2 weeks, if you don't like it, they'll take it back.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
1. There is a conceal carry 'under-shirt', which conceals great. Gun would be 1/2 way between your arm-pit and waist. It won't be seen.
2. Belly band with any of the above guns, won't be seen at all.

So, I wouldn't restrict myself to a pocket carry.

The above will work with Kahrs, EMP's, PX4-berretta, revolvers, LCP, etc.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've been considering the holster tee shirts myself for a long time. I have also thought about having a couple of the buttons on the appropriate dress shirts "dummy sewed" to the button holes and have velcro fasteners stitched on to close the shirt. It would make accessability of the handgun much faster than having to deal with buttons. With that set-up, you can conceal just about anything.

Some day I will get off my butt and try it myself.

surv

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'd go tuckable IWB w/velcro or a Smartcarry with your G26 as the first choice since you already have and are familiar with the G26. If you must pocket carry, then consider a PM9 or a Seecamp. The Seecamp may take you a while to get so something like a LCP in the meantime would work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts