Defensive Carry banner

If your CCW permit is revoked, while fighting to get it back you:

• Edited By QKShooter - Illegal Carry Is Not A CombatCarry.com Forum Option.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Carry another less effective weapon

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Bend over and take it

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the aftermath of a shooting your local authorities yank your CCW permit. You know that the deceased has family and friends who will come after you.

Do you carry without a permit, deep concealment, and so in protecting yourself you also break the law? Or do you depend on another, less effective weapon? Or, do you lie down and take it? Or, do you do something else I've not listed?

In Indiana I must have my permit to carry open as well. Go off your state's laws.

Josh <><
Moderator Note:
Please Note:
This site is devoted to LEGAL open and concealed carry.
While some State laws are (admittedly) overly restrictive and unfair - our forum members (on this site) are expected to abide by their respective state carry rules and regulations or...shut up about it.

PLEASE NOTE: Any admission of any form of illegal carry will be highly unappreciated and deleted A.S.A.P.

·
Super Moderator
23,581 Posts
I wouldn't break the law during the period of revocation - I'd be fighting to get it back, and I'd probably high-tail it to a out-of -state safehouse, or start carrying my long guns openly (legal in Texas). I'd probably get another long gun or two, including an AR or AK. Plus, my wife carries :)yup: )

·
Registered
790 Posts
If I was at work when it happened, I would almost certainly be fired. If that was the case, I would have lots of free time at home, where it is legal for me to carry anyway.

I would be keeping a weapon and a long gun in my vehicle as well, and hanging out with friends I can trust to watch my six.

Other than that, I would be hiring the meanest lawyer I could find to restore my CCW.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Depends on why it was revoked in the first place. If there was a chance of getting it restored I might watch my step.

If not, as it's been said: "better to be judged by 12..."

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Y'know...I'm not sure. If I honestly thought I was in danger, I'd probably carry anyway. But, if for some reason I was caught, it would be really hard to protect my family when I'm in jail; plus when I got out, I really wouldn't be allowed to carry.

On the other hand, carrying a less lethal (or several) options, might be a good compromise until I can get my permit back. I'm back to really not knowing for sure.

I have to admit, local authorities are very kind to self defense folks. Couple years ago, a young guy shot a 17 y/o who chased him and physically assaulted him. The deceased's family was not known to be kind folks. The police have been very specifically not releasing the shooters name (redacted on the police report) to help protect him from the unhappy kinfolk.

To make an specific effort like that was very conscientious on their part.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Zundfolge said:
I'd switch to Open Carry until I got the whole CCW situation worked out.
+1 here

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Last week or the week before someone asked what was a good reason to have permits from other states. Here one is. I live in Alabama which recognizes Utah and New Hampshire non-resident permits. My Utah should be here in the next 2 or 3 weeks. When we get back from California and Washington and payday rolls around I will be getting New Hampshire. So my answer is other. If Alabama suspends my permit I continue to carry legally using my Utah or New Hampshire non-resident permit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i also have multiple permits, and if my home state permit was suspended, i'd just carry on my NH or UT permit. Thats probably the one advantage to this mish-mash of permits and what states honor what :shotem:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
As the Mod pointed out, some states are overly restrictive! Unfortunately I live in one such state.

Normal procedure in MA when anyone is involved in a shooting, even when it appears 1000% righteous from the get-go.

- They confiscate your LTC (required for mere possession of guns, ammo, components, mags), all your guns/ammo/mags/components.

- They will also usually confiscate the LTC of your spouse/SO and all her guns/ammo/mags/components as well. They can do this because the LTC is "discretionary" and can be revoked at any time for no reason whatsoever.

- Usually the police will invite the media to videotape your house/address/guns and show it on the evening news. You don't have any say in the matter.

- Possession of any firearm without the LTC is a crime whereby you lose your gun possession rights forever.

So, short of running away to another state, you are a known target, unarmed and with a bullseye painted on your back for a very long time. However, you are likely to get indicted and have to defend yourself in court, so running away is not an option as you'd get arrested and convicted of running away to avoid prosecution.

Even if you win (no indictment, declared righteous shoot), most chiefs will not re-issue your LTC and even if they do, lots of guns/ammo/mags/components tend to "get lost" when you try to claim them or they stall you for months/years before you can get anything back (usually rusted, broken and worthless).

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need to apologize. I was doing the copy'n'paste thing on several boards and didn't taylor the responses to any particular one.

For that, I am sorry ladies and gents, and especially QKShooter who had to edit my mindlessness.

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Josh

Your thoughtfulness (in general) is greatly appreciated but, an apology is not necessary.
The follow~up comments to your poll/thread turned out to be informative and very interesting.
Good reading.
It just goes to show that one never knows (in advance) exactly which road any thread will end up traveling down.

The posted reply by LenS was very interesting to read and (in my opinion) his comment alone made the entire thread particularly worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Some questions, I have a hard time with. My experience is that there are not many occassions for the average person to employ lethal force, or even any physical force at all. Observation and avoidence.......

Now, obviously, the one day you have a head cold, you've worked late, and you have the wife and baby in the car and Jimbo decides to carjack you......well. My question is: is your CCW pulled in the event of any lethal encounter, or only with your firearm? If only with a FA, I would hook up with some nice COs, Deputies, and grapplers at a free-style gym, and practice lots of good belly-hook cuts with a knife of legal dimensions, and save your pistol for "multiple threats".

If Jimbo is gang affiliated, face it- you'll have to move, anyway, so plan ahead. In the mean time, be a homebody, and get some practice in with your shotty. Maybe putting a 1.5-6x power scope on your deer rifle would be better than the 4-12x currently on it. If the rifle is good, honestly, you won't notice a difference between a 20-24" barrel, and an 18" on. An 18"er (even a 16") is much easier to use in the home, and a single dosing of 7mm Spitzer, COM, is fatal in 99% of all bi-peds it has been applied to. Punch makes a room fogger OC cannister(Law Enforcement Equipment Co-LEECO, and Shomer-Tec), and it isn't hard to weather-seal a bedroom. Just a few thoughts.....

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
QKShooter said:
The posted reply by LenS was very interesting to read and (in my opinion) his comment alone made the entire thread particularly worthwhile.
Indeed. "When firearms are outlawed....."

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
QKShooter said:
Damn, you are making me blush! :blush:

Regrettably to make my point "on target", here is a current news story from the LA Times (yes, I know it is LaLa Land, but they do that crap here too)! Check out the map to the guy's house, pictures of said house and guns laid out. Even if the guy were totally innocent, this is how things "are done" and the person is never safe again from burglary, intimidation, target of theft, etc.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-guns19apr19,0,3492919.story?coll=la-home-headlines

BTW, as background, I worked as a Special/Reserve (i.e. PT) PO for 18 years. I'm now a Constable (6+ years), so still involved in LE. I am also considered by many to be somewhat expert (for a lay person) in MA gun laws.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Rob72 said:
My question is: is your CCW pulled in the event of any lethal encounter, or only with your firearm?
In MA all the chiefs are "political animals" in liberal KK (Kennedy/Kerry) land, so most hate guns and gun owners with more disdain than they have for the "poor disadvantaged criminals" <massive sarcasm>.

Given that scenario, if you have any encounter with LE more serious than a parking/speeding ticket, you are likely to have your CCW (LTC) lifted in the way I mentioned above. MA Gen'l Laws actually mandate that the PD also confiscate everything you own if they pull your LTC!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts