Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't go to the range yesterday due to obligations. Can't go today 'cause it's raining here. Have a thousand 148 grain hollow base .38 Special wadcutters stuck in Ruleville Mississippi due to shipping delays so can't poke bullets in prepared cases. So, let's have a thread for show-and-tell of favorite 1911-guns for carry.

Photographs and narrative welcome.

I've been on a bit of a 1911 kick, shooting 'em, cleaning 'em and thinking about 'em. Thing is, I'm mostly toting the favorite ol' .38 Special revolver the few times I'm going out around town since the advent of the COVID-19 brouhaha. Did go to Abilene early last week and did tote a 1911-gun then.

Anyway, of the 1911-guns on hand, here's my favorite. It's a 1967 vintage Colt Government Model. I got it on the cheap because the pawn shop where I acquired it had previously dropped it right on its sights and both front and rear were damaged, the almost-as-new pistol itself remaining unscathed. Our own OD* provided counseling and pointed me in the direction of the Harrison Retro set of sights which do provide a good sight picture and don't impart an offense to my eye. A kind donor provided the attractive double-diamond stocks with Colt medallions to provide just a little dress up. I like these stocks. Checkering's sharp and I like the grip they provide without going to rubber or synthetic. I feel like there's just a smidgen of Defensive Carry Forum influence in this gun because of OD* and some of the other of y'all who have a history of yammering about 1911s here over the years. When I joined Defensive Carry Forum I only had three 1911-guns. The less said about the number of acquisitions since the better.

This pistol exhibits the typical unfussy nature of 1911 guns for me. It's just a lifetime lucky streak with 1911s I guess. It shoots everything I feed it. It has a nice, crisp livable trigger and I like good triggers. It's not the very most accurate 1911 I have, but I'd have to put in a whole lot of trigger time with it to realize the limits of its accuracy capabilities, both from here to yon.

I've had it now a little over four years and am grateful for it. It's stock except for sights and stocks. It's very nice, but not too nice to put to work. It's done gun show security duty, road trip duty, church carry duty, D/FW big city carry duty, hiking around the old home place duty. it receives the lion's share of the 1911 range time. It's getting just a little wear around the edges and even on the new sights. I'm surprised the original blue finish has held up as well as it has.

Got a new 1911 holster ordered, primarily for totin' it. Well other worthy 1911s can have a turn too. Can't wait. Maker may be slow though so I'll have to "hold my horses" as my dad used to tell me when I was young and impatient.

·
Registered
882 Posts
For the past 16-18 years my daily favorite has been a Kimber Custom CDP .45. Alloy frame reduces weight a few ounces. Full "carry melt" treatment. Tritium night sights. Checkered front strap and trigger guard. Full length guide rod and closely fitted bushing. Just about all the upgrade features that one might expect on a pistol intended for defensive use (as opposed to target pistols).

My 1911 pistols date from a 1914 Colt Commercial Model, several WW1 pieces (Colt, Remington-UMC, North American Arms, Springfield Armory), a few between-the-world-wars pieces, every WW2 variant (Colt, US&S, Remington-Rand, Ithaca) except a Singer, and several post-WW2 including Series 70, Series 80, a Gold Cup, and a Service Model Ace .22. I like them all, but the Kimber gets carried most of the time.

Past couple of years have blessed me with surgeries for shoulder reconstruction, elbow, wrist, and cataracts. There are times now that I am not comfortable operating a semi-auto pistol, so I have brought back into service a 40-plus year old S&W Model 64 .38 Special 2" round butt, acquired as police department surplus some years back.

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well ... we all wouldn't know how to act if we did get a ribbin' on here occasionally.

Just when I think I'm "tight as a tick" on 1911-guns y'all have to go and post some Commanders. I've already been studying those on the auction sights.

Yer not helpin'!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I only have two 1911's and when I carry one this is the one .... the other, the 101 year old Colt, is used at the range for the fun of shooting history but I don't carry that one.
I bought some Altamonte grips and Celtic Cross screws to doll it up a bit. I carry this every once in a while ... maybe once a month or so. It's scary accurate ... I couldn't miss a squirrel at 10 yards with it, shooting blindfolded.

ruger1.jpg

ruger2.jpg

·
Registered
875 Posts
View attachment 321408

This is my Baby. The tritium lamps are nearly out. I need to upgrade them soon. NP3 finish. Bobtailed. .45acp. Luke Volkmann made this for George at MI Gunslingers and I bought it before George had received it. It took me a long time to pay for it, with my wife's full support. and worth it to me. I've been very pleased to have visited young Luke in his home here where he made a small adjustment I requested. I carry it nearly every time I leave my home.

Volkmann 2.jpg

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Well I don’t rightly know.

I only have three.

BF8A6F6D-AEBE-4E17-8CB0-CF46AF46E47B.jpeg

But if I had to pick which one got the most carry time, it would be the Colt LW Commander in the MS SS. It’s been carried every day since last July, with very few exceptions.

Field and outdoor carry time would go to the excellent, no frills Springer A1 style carried as pictured in my old tanker rig and loaded with 230 weight XTP Hornady HP’s at 930 fps.

For some reason the Combat Commander pictured in stainless doesn’t see much use.

442825AD-23E1-4DEA-A5A7-106E49E35278.jpeg

And they both get shot.....A LOT!!

·
Premium Member
5,882 Posts

·
Registered
Various
15,787 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
My current favorite is a Gov't model made in 1913. Unfortunately, I can't show it. It belongs to a friend that has willed it to me. It belonged to a relative of his that was Master at Arms in the Coast Guard, WWI. I is almost new condition!!!

1 - 20 of 147 Posts