Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first 22LR was a brand new 1974 Winchester Model 190 semi-auto, tube magazine.....I topped it off with a Tasco 3x9 3/4" tube scope that cost like 10 bucks new back then....felt like I was a rabbit sniping SOB....if a rabbit ever still for a second, it was a head shot....still have it....now I have so many 22's I can't list em all.....LOVE THE 22LR

·
Registered
986 Posts
My first .22 was an H&R 9 shot revolver. Wish I kept it.
Wow! What a memory. The first handgun I ever shot was my Uncle's 9 shot .22 H&R revolver. I was living with my Uncle one summer in Superior, Wisconsin and playing baseball. He hired me and a teammate to do some work at his cabin. He let us shoot his H&R when we done with chores. It was a great shooter. I left for home at the end of the summer and the other kid stole my Uncle's gun! We were 14 years old. Nothing good ever happened to that kid - he spent many years behind bars - and the handgun was never returned.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Marlin model 60, still got that rifle.

Bet I've got 50K (or more) rounds through that thing.

:hand15:

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Ruger MkII in SS with target sights and long barrel. Tack driver then and still one now. Love that weapon. Had one issue with it back in the days before the internet. Called them, they said send it on in and we'll look at it. I got it back in ~2 weeks with new grips and a note saying that the target grips were the problem (I installed them not Ruger) and they had fixed it and to enjoy my MkII - No Bill was included! Made a Ruger fan out of me (I was already a MkII fan).

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Don't know the model # but it was a single shot bolt action Winchester that had a knob on the rear of the bolt that you pulled back to cock it after chambering a round, it has a safety in front of the cocking knob that twisted to block it from moving forward to fire

Ok looked it up , it was a Winchester model 67

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
This is a great thread. I love reading stories about how rimfire got people shooting. I especially like the stories of old rimfires from when it seems every house had a .22 rifle or revolver.

After my Daisy pellet rifle, the .22 rifle was my first firearm. I ran through the woods with a Remington model 66. I have the brown nylon stock.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My first rimfire is a Remington Speedmaster that I inherited from my brother. It's in the safe, I haven't shot it yet, but I did buy a scope for it. Someday...
When my dad passed, I got his Walther PPK/s in .22, a Derringer .22 (High Standard?) and a Savage take apart .22 over 20Ga single shot break barrel with a leather carrying case.
All of these were new in the early '70s.
We used to shoot pellet guns in the early '70s in the back yard, but once in awhile dad would bring out the .22/20ga and let me shoot it. I was probably 10 years old or so. That 20ga had a lot of kick for a 10 year old.

The first gun I bought was a S&W 686 6" in the mid '80s. (had it for a year before I told my parents about it) Back then, we could just walk out the back door and blast away as much as we could afford. Unfortunately, we started to get neighbors and the backyard shooting went away.

Gerry

·
Banned
210 Posts
My first .22LR was made by my Uncle George. He made two; one for me and one for his son that were miniature single shot bolt action rifles made to fit us as we were very young. Sorry no pics available; sad story as to why. I fired many a round through it before outgrowing it. :smile:

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
My 1st 22 was a Harrington& Richardson Sahara Full Stock Single shot Rifle. After you fired it, the bolt locked back after ejecting the fired case. You inserted another round, released the bolt, and fired again.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Never really spent much time with rimfire guns. The first real rimfire I ever owned was an impulse buy Savage 22lr bolt action I saw at Walmart for $150. Took it to the range once, didnt have much fun and then ditched it. Havent owned a rimfire gun since. I would like a 22lr handgun though.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
My first rimfire is (I still have it) a Brescia 22short.

brescia22.jpg

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Actually my first rimfire was a 22 short Zip Gun. The barrel consisted of a hollow 283 Chevy Push Rod with the rounded ends ground off. The inside diameter was a perfect fit a .22. I made the grip out of a piece of pine. It was striker fired via a couple of big rubber bands. I was about 13yrs old at the time, and paid a classmate $1 for 5 rds of Remington Hi Speed .22 shorts. I took it out in my rowboat, and touched off the 1st round. Wow it worked. I reloaded and fired it again, and immediatly felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. I thought that I shot myself, but what happened was the unsupported shell came out backwards, as the bullet went forward. The case didn't pierce my skin, and I tossed my 1st rimfire into the Great South Bay off Long Island.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts