Defensive Carry banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Mine was a youth-sized Ithaca model 49 single shot .22 lever action. Many tin cans and soda pop bottles fell prey to that little gun.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't know if this fits in this tread or not, but I am going to print this anyway. My late brother-in-law gave me a single shot .22 that belonged to his grandfather. He gave it to me in 1980 (?). It is a Stevens as near as I can tell and made sometime around 1896-98. It is similar to my first rimfire, but definitely not the same. Anyway, when I got it, I cleaned it up, took it to a gunsmith to see if it was safe to shoot, fired it once, hung it on the wall, and forgot about it. With the quarantine and all, my wife and I have been looking for things to do and cleaning and organizing each and every item in the house seems to be a priority. Well, I took this little .22 down, cleaned it, ran some oil down the barrel, and took it to the dump to shoot. It was unbelievably accurate. I put a box of .22's through it and it was awesome. I bought a Henry .22 for my oldest grandchild, but I want my youngest grandkid to start with this old single shot. It was really fun!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Actually my first rimfire was a 22 short Zip Gun...I tossed my 1st rimfire into the Great South Bay off Long Island.
I'm surprised that I didn't find it while clamming at low tide.

I spent my early formative years in Merrick, back when there were still "truck" farms on Long Island, and Grumman was still building F4Fs and F6Fs.
Where were you living?

I built my share of zip guns, but only after we'd moved to Manhattan.
I used car-antenna tubing, wrapped with wire.

Reactions: Nipperdog

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I'm surprised that I didn't find it while clamming at low tide.

I spent my early formative years in Merrick, back when there were still "truck" farms on Long Island, and Grumman was still building F4Fs and F6Fs.
Where were you living?

I built my share of zip guns, but only after we'd moved to Manhattan.
I used car-antenna tubing, wrapped with wire.
I lived in Seaford for 58yrs before escaping to Fla

·
Registered
425 Posts
Back around 86-87 time frame, it was an Iver Johnson TP22. I even had a cool wallet holster for it.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Stevens Model 66B, bolt action. I bought it used, it came on a sorta fancy stock with a .300 Savage case embedded in the for grip. And has a butt pad! I have long arms so the butt pad made it fit perfect. I have no idea how many 1000s of rounds I've put through it. That rifle and I have an understanding. :wink:

Reactions: airslot

·
Super Moderator
18,313 Posts
Stevens Model 66B. That's a bolt-action with a tubular magazine. I love the notion of bolt-action .22 rifles with tubular magazines.

Reactions: CWOUSCG and OD*

·
Super Moderator
18,313 Posts
I had one those Savage Model 24s one time. It was the old plastic stocked variant. I took it in with a trade. Used it a bit and thought it was handy. Don't even know what happened to it. Wish I still had it.

Reactions: Cornhusker95

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I started out hunting and shooting my Dad's Ruger 10-22. Great gun. He still has it today. I don't know if I want to get it at some point, or if I want my brother to get it. I'm not certain my brother will teach the girls how to shoot or not. If he will, he deserves to get it.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Stevens Model 66B. That's a bolt-action with a tubular magazine. I love the notion of bolt-action .22 rifles with tubular magazines.
Yep, the way things are supposed to be. I learned on a Savage, don’t recall model #, bolt action that my Dad bought used in Ketchikan back in 47 or 48. He taught his brother, sister, all us kids and numerous grandkids, nephews and nieces with that rifle.

Interesting side note: My Stevens and his Savage bolts are interchangeable!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ruger 10/22... Used at the "trading post". I saved all my lawn mowing money when I was a kid. My dad took me down and bought it for me. I still have it and really was happy when I bought it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Not mine, it was my dad’s, but it was a Marlin 25. At about 12 I started hunting with it. Shot it all through my teen year. I moved away, dad died and it disappeared. None of my siblings seem to know what happened to it. I did inherit a couple other guns.
So last year I went on the hunt for one. I bid on a few on GB, lost out on a few. I had two bids going and surprisingly won both of them. So now I have two. One looks unfired. I took of the time clouded factory Glenfield scope off and put on a Leupold VX Freedom. I took it with me yesterday to the club where I was shooting a couple CZ rifles. I was surprised at how accurate it was even with cheap ammo. Now I want to try it with more magnification and some match ammo just to see what it’s capable of.
C0A24E87-45CB-4F5F-99EE-C01872EC3D47.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
My dad had a scoped Mossberg with the fold down front forearm, which I inherited, but my first rimfire was actually a Ruger 10 22. My first firearm was actually a Winchester model 37 single shot 20 gauge shotgun, which I made extensive use of. I still have it, but haven't shot it in many years.

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Registered
56 Posts
Didn't have .22L till grown had two 10/22's at one time forgot the models numbers . 1st one wood stock/blued with peep sights and sling. 2nd rifle set up for bench shooting Magpul stock/ stainless with silver Simmons scope BX trigger, auto bolt open , oversize receiver pins and bolt buffer.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts