Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was the only one at the outdoor range one day. I walked out to the 50 yard dirt berm and laid several clay pigeons on the hillside. As I was walking back a man and his teenage son had arrived and were unloading their stuff. On a whim, I decided to see what I could hit with my Rossi M88 2" snubby .38

I took aim and fired the first shot -actually hitting one of the birds. I played it cool and aimed for the next one. BOOM. Second bird explodes. (I'm thinking 'holy crap' but still play it cool). I aim again and fire the third shot. I miss -but only by about 4 inches. The fourth shot actually takes out another pigeon and the fifth and final shot is again a close miss. I glance at the newcomers and their both standing there with mouths hanging open. I just smiled and nodded. The Rossi has always been a surprisingly accurate little gun but I admit this little demonstration was mostly dumb luck. It did look totally impressive though.

Another time I was at a friend's house out in the country and he brought out a newly acquired Model 29 .44 mag to show a group of us. He had some targets set up in his back yard and people were taking turns shooting the new cannon. Beyond the targets is a huge farm field that gives way to a wooded area. When my turn came around I pointed out a large dirt clod in the newly plowed field with a bright green weed growing out of it. This was about 150 yards out. I said I was going to shoot it but I was just being facetious given the distance. I pulled the trigger and the dirt clod exploded. Everybody was suitably impressed and I just acted like I had not been joking and quit while I was ahead.

Anyway...what are some of the most impressive, unlikely, and/or funny shots you folks have made? Give us your best stories.

·
Registered
681 Posts
We were really through dove hunting and standing around talking by the trucks. Two doves at a very far distance came zooming by. I raised up my shotgun and fired dropping one of the doves in what appeared to be an amazing shot. Everyone was like wow, what a shot. I went home with my little secret. I was aiming at the other dove!!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I think everyone has those amazing shots they do. Years again when we still had wild quail and I got a chance hunt them at Thanksgiving and Christmas break when I was a teen. I had a cousin call me and I met him at a family farm. Hunting in the back pasture we had a covey of quail jump before the dogs were set. I started shooting and went through my 3 shots on my Browning sweet 16. When I was done my cousin was looking at me with a weird look. I asked what was wrong. He said he didn't get a chance to shoot and that I had shot down 4 birds with 3 shots. I guess I had zoned out and didn't relies I had done what I had done. I think I missed the next couple of birds that got up still thinking about what I had done.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
In a far and distant land from a long time ago. In the morning a women would come out and proceed with a bowel movement facing away from our position. One of my comrades acted as a spotter. At the proper moment I touched off a round. The round went between her legs with a spectacular splash of water in the rice paddy. The women pitched over into the rice paddy, regained her composure and ran into the village. The next morning we waited for her appearance but she did show.

·
Registered
20,078 Posts
I was shooting stuff in the air with my 22; flat rocks, cans, a few pennies, etc, and my small nephew gave me a marble to throw up and shoot.

I hit the marble and you could hear the whine of the richochet. As I reached down to find another rock, something fell to the ground to my right, just a few feet away. Because I was standing in the middle of a coal vain, and there was no grass, I could see it was half of the green and white marble!
Then, as I went to pick it up, half of the 22 bullet( I kid you not) plopped to the ground.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Pigeon hovering 20 yards or so above me with one of those pellet guns that break in half to reload. Dropped another pigeon off the top of a grain elevator (probably close to a 80-90 yard shot)...it's amazing how accurate that thing is.

Best one that I know was by chance...I went for a swim in a nasty smelling pond while duck hunting. Driving home I was riding in the pickup box with my Benelli Nova 12 gauge. A sharptail grouse was flying parallel to the pickup but going in the opposite direction about 80 yards out. Pickup was moving at about 30 mph or so down the gravel road. One shot and it dropped. I made my buddy stop the pickup to go retrieve it and I surprisingly found it in the knee high grass. Also managed to drop a 15 pound Canada goose one day that was easily 100 yards or more away because the birds kept flaring away from our decoy spread. Nobody else shot because they said there was no way in hell we would get any.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I once shot a seagull off a 50' high light pole from over 50 yards away with a pellet gun on a bet. I eather hit the bird or it had a heart attack about 3 seconds after I fired that pellet gun not really sure. I couldn't, or shouldn't have, made that shot if my life depended on it. But I won five bucks. When one of the guys ask me to do it again. I told him I can't no more birds.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Nothing to amazing from me although most of my friends don't like to complete against me in any kind of shooting game.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Recently drove to the range to fire my Ol' Colt GI 1911 /1917 ........First shot at 25yrds. drilled the "X" through the center.....packed up and drove home.....Crazy.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Woods walking as a young teenager with my favorite rimfire rifle, a Browning BL .22 with a Weaver V22 scope. Looking across an adjacent cornfield was a big, lone sycamore tree growing along a small creek. Against a clear blue sky, a cawing crow sat scolding the day from the high branches. I had recently read an article in The American Rifleman about the historic Creedmore Matches. The unique prone shooting positions had particularly stuck in my mind. I laid down in the grass, rolled onto my right side, laid the rifle-barrel along my left upper-thigh, propped myself on my right elbow, got comfortable and spent 15-20 seconds carefully calculating; the breeze, the holdover, the scope picture & the s-l-o-w trigger press. I touched it off, continuing to watch thru the scope and...nothing. The crow didn't fly-off. He didn't ruffle. He didn't move. Keeping him in the scope, I flicked the lever & began the process again. About to take my second shot, something surprising happened. The crow flipped downward, still holding to the branch. He held-on, motionless, for what seemed like 10 minutes (approximately 2 seconds), then tumbled in a black wad, bouncing off lower branches as he fell. I jumped-up in amazement and ran to the base of the tree. There he was, shot as clean thru his right eye as if I had used a screwdriver, under a magnifying glass. I picked my trophy up by the feet & started counting long steps back to the matted grass of my shooting position. The count ended at...178 yards! :image035:

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Yup.....................

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
my best shot...
175 yds
raining
US Army poncho-hood up
leaning against a live oak tree
.270 Sako Finbear Manlicher Carbine w/Redfield 3x9 Wideview scope

8 pt buck

the other guys in my hunting group stayed in the cabin that day...said it was raining too hard to hunt :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts