Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm not real sure but I would say that the glock pistol and the 1911 pistol are among the most popular carry handguns, feel free to inject on that with your own thoughts.

To try and get a straight common sense answers which one do you really trust your life and your families life with?
I know every one says I carry a 1911 because it's the best battle gun ever built or I carry a glock because it is the most reliable combat gun there is.

So my question which is it Glock or 1911?

Don't get me wrong, I carry both so I'm not trying to get anyones but in an uproar just looking for some unbiased reality replies!

I love the 1911 and mine have been just as reliable as my glocks but for some reason in the dead of the night I think I would grab my G20.:smile:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
For me without a doubt it's the Glock. That said, any pistol can malfunction, but IMO and experience with my Glock of 15 years and thousands of rounds DR, the Glock platform just works and works all day long. YMMV

GBK

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have both a Glock and 1911. I trust both with my life. The only advantage that I see is that the Glock has a greater mag capacity. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Many companies make a 1911 - which are you referring to?

I trust my life to all of my possible carry pieces - if I didn't, I wouldn't carry them.
XD9SC
XD40SC
Steyr S9
Steyr S40
Bersa Thunder 380
until recently - Taurus 85UL (gave it to my sister-in-law to carry)
Colt Defender
Springfield v10 Ultra Compact

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many companies make a 1911 - which are you referring to?

I trust my life to all of my possible carry pieces - if I didn't, I wouldn't carry them.
XD9SC
XD40SC
Steyr S9
Steyr S40
Bersa Thunder 380
until recently - Taurus 85UL (gave it to my sister-in-law to carry)
Colt Defender
Springfield v10 Ultra Compact
I didn't really think of any one company when it comes to 1911's just a general question. There is a lot of good ones out there some that will jump out and surprise you like the new para GI nice gun for the price.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
As Keltyke said, "I trust my life to all of my possible carry pieces - if I didn't, I wouldn't carry them."

But none of them are 1911's or Glocks. Just happen to own and TRUST a few others.

bosco

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Keltyke said, "I trust my life to all of my possible carry pieces - if I didn't, I wouldn't carry them."

But none of them are 1911's or Glocks. Just happen to own and TRUST a few others.

bosco
Well come on now don't keep us all in the dark tell us what your fav is to carry!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
There are just so many factors to consider. For me, I used to own 1911s. I sold them all and am now strictly Glock platform.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I don't own a Glock.

I would completely trust my life to my para 1911 though. Reason is I bought it, stripped it and built it up myself. Its not my carry piece. I carry my M&P45c and trust my life to it every day it goes in the holster and I walk out the door with it.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
I still have my Kimbers and love them, but during the past 5 months I have grown closer to my Glocks, my Glock-36 is now my EDC.:yup:
I am taking my first Glock Armorer Course in Feb.:yup:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
For me, the Glock, only because my 1911 is about 20 years old (only one I have) and was built as a race gun and unfortuanely is a little picky with anything besides ball ammo, otherwise I would be fine with it too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still have my Kimbers and love them, but during the past 5 months I have grown closer to my Glocks, my Glock-36 is now my EDC.:yup:
I am taking my first Glock Armorer Course in Feb.:yup:
I used to have a glock 36 I'm still kicking myself in the but for trading it. My glock 30 is my fav now in the smaller models but I like the full size G21 and G20 the best. That 10mm is addictive, of course when you are a gun nut it 's all addictive.:rofl:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I happen to have one of each, a Glock 23 and a Para USA GI Expert. Since this is nothing more than an opinion poll, I prefer the Glock.

Of course, my opinion is a little biased since I've still not broken the Para in. :embarassed:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have both a Glock and 1911. I trust both with my life. The only advantage that I see is that the Glock has a greater mag capacity. Just my opinion.
Pretty much my thoughts. The only thing I can add, is that the XD45 fits my hand better than the G21, so for a double stack .45, I'd pick an XD...

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Here we go again...

Accuracy is more important than Mag. capacity.

It's about you, your pistol and your proficiency with it.

"In a Gunfight, you cannot miss fast enough to win"......L. Vickers

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here we go again...

Accuracy is more important than Mag. capacity.

It's about you, your pistol and your proficiency with it.

"In a Gunfight, you cannot miss fast enough to win"......L. Vickers
O.K. now we all know shot placement is important but lets not loose track of the thread:rofl:
Kinda just about the guns you trust the most to carry. We will say it's a givin that you only carry what you can shoot well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My Dads a Glock guy so Ive shot several of his. Im recently a 1911 addict. I prefer the grip and thumb safeties and the narrower gun. The 1911 is heavier and has less mag capacity but for the way I carry a thinner heavier gun was a better option for me. Glocks are nice and very well built but I trust my life to a 1911 since thats the gun that works better for me.

That said, ANY carry gun is the one a person trusts their life too. Ive trusted mine to a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro in .45 as well.

Alex!

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Although I have trusted my life to a Glock and a 1911 I much prefer something else.

See my avatar for a hint. I also like wheelies. :smile:

The P-35 is John Browning's best design IMO, and addresses all the weakpoints in the 1911. It was the Glock of it's day, so to speak.

Biker

·
Registered
350 Posts
[...]which one do you really trust your life and your families life with?
[...]Glock or 1911?
I think the question is misguided. It places undue focus on a piece of equipment.

A handgun has no more ability to save your life than it does to jump out of your holster and commit murder. Handguns are commodities--the real differentiators are mindset, tactics, and skill (in that order).

Any handgun/caliber combination that fires every time and which you can shoot quickly and accurately will serve equally well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the question is misguided. It places undo focus on a piece of equipment.

A handgun has no more ability to save your life than it does to jump out of your holster and commit murder. Handguns are commodities--the real differentiators are mindset, tactics, and skill (in that order).

Any handgun/caliber combination that fires every time and which you can shoot quickly and accurately will serve equally well.
Very good I like it!
Thats why I carry what ever I want.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts