Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're strong hand skills on a scale of 1-10 are 10, what number do you assign your "off" hand skills.

I'm fairly ambi, yet not fully ambi. I'd assign my off hand skills at 70% [ or 7 ] of my strong hand skills. Can you determine which hand is the dominant hand in the below clip?

Your assessment of your own off hand prowess compared to your strong hand?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I need to find one of those ol' fashioned, coin-operated squeeze-testing machines to even answer that question. (*I'm guessin', if I recall the scale, I'm somewhere between..."girly" and "wimp".) :hand5:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I'm awful in my weak hand. I use to be required to shoot 20% of my qualifying using our weak hand. I doubt I could do that anymore.

Reactions: molleur and AzQkr

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
I'm pretty much ambidextrous, so I would say about a 9.

Going left for using the sights does create an issue with the dominate eye, but it's just st a matter of adjustment.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I am very ambidextrous. As a matter of fact I do different things with different hands. I have won countless friendly bets outshooting my friends with my off hand shooting skeet. Honestly I am probably a better shot with my left hand than my right. I am however quicker on the draw with my right hand so that is how I carry.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I'm a lefty, somewhat ambi (because we have to adapt to everything). About 40% with my weaker right. I do practice weak hand every time I practice. Not great, but good enough to get the job done without using the sights.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Well, not as good as I should be. Maybe half as good as my strong side. Disappointing as I am fairly ambidextrous.
My off hand practice is usually my j frame, and I am glad to have paid it some attention, point shooting almost exclusively.

But today it is 100% due to a broken right wrist. A need to reload would be a big problem.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
Probably about 50%. Just drawing from my OWB holster on my right hip is really tough (I am right handed). My wife and I practice single handed shooting, one handed reloads, etc. but I am nowhere as good with my weak hand only as I would like to be. It would take a lot of ammo and a lot more trips to the range to bring myself up to 80%.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
I'm ambidextrous. I once shot a police qualification with my left hand on a bet and aced it. Im naturally left handed, but shoot right since I am right eye dominate.

Now if only my eyes were ambidextrous it might be even better...

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm ambidextrous. I once shot a police qualification with my left hand on a bet and aced it. Im naturally left handed, but shoot right since I am right eye dominate.

Now if only my eyes were ambidextrous it might be even better...
"What a shot you could be if you could shoot at me with those ambi eyes..." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well considering I shattered my left wrist, it's screwed back together, and I only have partial felling in four fingers. Including my thumb I'd have to give my non dominant hand a rating of about -6. I have fired a gun with it. As long as I put the gun in my left hand with my right hand and The gun Isn't heavy with a lot of kick. I can hit a target at 20 ft. I could probably even pick it up off something like a counter or table. Draw from a holster, not so much. Hell, It took me over 2 years to get this far. So I'm real cautious as to what I try shooting off hand. Last thing I want is to have a weapon com flying out of my hands. Not safe and at the very least I'd look like an idiot. I'll keep at it but A man has to know his limitations!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
My weak side is maybe a 4. I can shoot OK slowly, but my draw would be weak, and I would hate to have to fire off 3 or 4 quick rounds with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
About 65% and I credit that to shooting matches which forces practice less I embarrass myself.

My accuracy is "OK" but need to pick up the speed, I also spend some time on 1 handed manipulations (weak-hand) which is also a PITA. Just last week at our IDPA BUG match we had a "weak hand" string, and this month is the Classifier which also calls for a weak hand as part of a stage so I'll be practicing both live and dry (laser).

Weak-hand shooting is part of the reason I stopped carrying a .45.....

Chuck

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Well considering I shattered my left wrist, it's screwed back together, and I only have partial felling in four fingers. Including my thumb I'd have to give my non dominant hand a rating of about -6. I have fired a gun with it. As long as I put the gun in my left hand with my right hand and The gun Isn't heavy with a lot of kick. I can hit a target at 20 ft. I could probably even pick it up off something like a counter or table. Draw from a holster, not so much. Hell, It took me over 2 years to get this far. So I'm real cautious as to what I try shooting off hand. Last thing I want is to have a weapon com flying out of my hands. Not safe and at the very least I'd look like an idiot. I'll keep at it but A man has to know his limitations!
Well they screwed my right wrist together four weeks ago. So far so good. I am hoping for full function, but it will be a while before I touch off my 44.
If things don't go well I will end up buying several left hand holsters

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well they screwed my right wrist together four weeks ago. So far so good. I am hoping for full function, but it will be a while before I touch off my 44.
If things don't go well I will end up buying several left hand holsters
Good luck to you Struckat. I feel for you. I been there and I got the scars and the tshirt to prove it. I had bad nerve damage from were and how it broke. Lots of pieces. Nerve pain is the worst. I've had lots of broken parts and the surgery to
repair/replace including a joint replacement and a few back surgeries. Had the worst pain from my wrist.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've always trained shooting weak-side (left for me). Left speed is 75%-80% of right, but accuracy is on par with shooting strong side. While I was in the Corps, I fired a pistol requalification course left handed/one handed...on a bet. I shot expert.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts