Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im saving for a new ccw piece. I am torn between the Springfield XD, or the Glock in the .45 G.A.P.
I may even decide to get a 4" Springfield 1911. But I am really intrigued by the G.A.P. cartridge.

So what do you think?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
If those are the choices I'd take the XD. I love mine. Well I don't love it like I love some of my other guns, but for its intended use it is fantastic.

This is like choosing between Coke or Pepsi really. They're both excellent products, but in your own opinion you've got to decide which one is better.

The 4" 1911 idea I'd personally skip on unless you just get some really amazing deal. I played with a 4" Springfield GI recently and it had one misfeed at the end of 3 magazine's worth of ammunition. That's just not acceptable for a carry gun to do that. Of course 1911s are a whole different animal and it could have just been because he was using the wrong magazine or the moon was in the wrong phase. It was however a very nice gun. I'd just want that little problem corrected personally.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Also the GAP round may not become that popular 5 or more years down the road. Other problems/ shortcomings may crop up with this caliber. Just something to consider. As for which gun, its more personal prefence and what feels right to you.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
if i was going to buy the 45 gap ego round or the answer to the question no one asked... i would go with the Springfield XD

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Greg
I have the Glock 37 in 45GAP and it is without a doubt the nicest pistol I have ever shot. I don't have any first hand experience with the Springfield offering but have heard many good things about it. What I would suggest is to Handel both and go with the one that is most comfortable in your hand. I feel the GAP is going to continue to grow in popularity as time goes on. Good luck with your decision.
Mike

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The 1911's are great carry guns, the XD is also a great choice. There are plenty of other choices out there as well. I'm curious to see the Glock 39 as it's the same size frame slide etc, as the Glock 26/27 platform.. Ya gotta check out everythng to se what fits you best

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
XD too would be my choice - over a Glock. I like what I have seen.

I am not overly enthused over the .45 GAP - but that may be an old age ''resistance to change'' deal :biggrin:

·
Administrator
143,592 Posts
Looks like you guys got it pretty well covered...he should be sufficiently confused now without any additional help from me. :biggrin:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im no more or less confused as when I first posted. Everyones advice has crossed my mind, and kept spinning around at work. I do apreciate your opinions, and am pleased that Im not disappointed.

I am scared that this cartridge might be a "fad", and drop off the market after I buy something chambered for this round. Their is tons of great cartridges that just dont catch on, or are forgotten.

Looks like Im going to do some "fondling" at the gunshops today.

Any additional advice would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
455 Posts
They are all very different animals. Which one feels best in your hand? Do you want a manual safety, or not? You should try them all out before you buy. One thing to consider - If you buy a Springfield, they come with a lifetime warranty.

My vote would be for the 1911. I am not a big fan of the GAP round; its more expensive in my area, and I can carry a gun with the ACP round no problem. The 1911 is a thin gun, and conceals very well.

Euclidean said:
The 4" 1911 idea I'd personally skip on unless you just get some really amazing deal. I played with a 4" Springfield GI recently and it had one misfeed at the end of 3 magazine's worth of ammunition. That's just not acceptable for a carry gun to do that. Of course 1911s are a whole different animal and it could have just been because he was using the wrong magazine or the moon was in the wrong phase. It was however a very nice gun. I'd just want that little problem corrected personally.
Could have been the mags; my 4" Springfield 1911 goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I had one stovepipe when I was breaking it in, but it's been flawless ever since (600+ rounds).

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Gregarat,
I couldn't help thinking about what rocky said, "...Other problems/ shortcomings may crop up with this caliber...". I think that's a good point and worth giving some thought to. The .45 ACP is a long time tried and tested round and so are most of the guns that chamber it; OTOH, the .45 GAP has little history.

·
Registered
749 Posts
greg,

I don;t know if you realize it, but you just started a Glock vs. 1911 thread. You will have more varying opinions than you could ever want. That said, I have a Glock and a 1911. Buy both as they will serve you differently.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
gregarat said:
Im saving for a new ccw piece. I am torn between the Springfield XD, or the Glock in the .45 G.A.P.
I may even decide to get a 4" Springfield 1911. But I am really intrigued by the G.A.P. cartridge.

So what do you think?
Considering the three you listed as possible choices, my vote would go to the 1911 for the following reasons.
1) I don't personally care for the XD's. Everyone I've talked to that has one likes them but I just don't care for the "feel" of the gun. I may eventually get one if I find a good deal but it's not very high on the list.

2) I wouldn't personally get anything in .45 GAP, not because I have any problem with the idea behind the cartridge, but because it just hasn't been around long enough. After it's been around for a few more years, and possibly adopted by a police department or two as their issue round, I may reconsider. For the record, I have nothing against Glocks in general, I have a G19 and I really like it.

3) I just like 1911's :biggrin:

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
gregarat said:
But I am really intrigued by the G.A.P. cartridge.

So what do you think?
I too fear that the G.A.P. may not be around that long. But then again I was resistant to the 40 when it came out. (I was wrong on that one.)
As with the 40 I think this new cartridge while 'intriguing', needs some time on the market and some results from the streets.

As for you choice of guns, I too am a 1911 man, if you intend to carry one become very familiar with the operation of a condition one 1911.

I echo the thoughts of the others here and say that you not only have to feel each gun in your hand, if possible fire each one on the range, do a rushed reload, and see how it feels to you, that is the real test of which gun to buy.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did some "fondling" at a gunshop yesterday. I decided to go with the 1911, in A.C.P.

Im not a big guy (5'11", 160-170lbs, lean) and I want something for concealed carry. Would a fullsize 1911 be practical?

At the moment, Im thinking about the Kimber pro carry II, or the Kimber Poly 10. Or a 4" Springfield.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
my first question is why the GAP??
and my observation about what weapon is this: guns are like shoes. You gotta try it on to see if it fits.
Rent some, beg at the range but shoot it first.

AFS

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just bought the springfield armory ultra-compact (3" brl.)
and i am ultimately impressed.
i expected a lot more "violence" in recoil from the 45acp round but was very pleasantly surprised that its not that much more than a 9mm. more solid maybe but not rough to me in any way.
The quality of this gun is top notch, as are most of the other big name brands i'm sure.
seems very concealable and will become my primary gun upon familiarization.
a full size just seemed to big for what i will be doing with it. 4" brl would be my first choice after handling this one for a while.

in a nutshell (and i'm gonna stir it up i know) a full size seems to big if ya plan on "dressing light" cuz its gonna stick out the bottom of yer t-shirt sooner with the longer barrel.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
195 Posts
gregarat said:
I did some "fondling" at a gunshop yesterday. I decided to go with the 1911, in A.C.P.

Im not a big guy (5'11", 160-170lbs, lean) and I want something for concealed carry. Would a fullsize 1911 be practical?

At the moment, Im thinking about the Kimber pro carry II, or the Kimber Poly 10. Or a 4" Springfield.

I think you could carry a full size 1911 without a problem. You will need a good holster and belt but that goes for any gun you will carry if you want to be comfortable.
If you like a 4" Springfield get it and shoot the heck out of it, clean it and repeat. If there are any problems with it send it back to Springfield they have possibility the best customer service in the business. I have never needed to send anything back to Springfield but a friend had some issues with a Springfield Champion(4") and they were fixed very quickly at no cost.
Pick the one that feels right and shoot in lots.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hmmm... Think I may get a full sized G.I., and add a beavertail, pluse better sights,...for now.

Im not worried about the barrel poking out from the bottom of my shirt, I like I.T.W. holsters. Becides its the grip length that might be the problem, with me.
Speaking of holsters, Sam Andrew lives right here in Alachua Co. :cool:

Sololucky,
Its funny you mentioned the recoil. I dont find it bad myself. The funny part is, I see "big guys" shy away from firing one.
I always thought the main factor in recoil is with the perception of the shooter. When my lill sister was 12yrs old she liked shooting a .44 magnum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts