Defensive Carry banner

What Do You Think of Carry Handguns with Polymer Frames?

• I Would Not Carry A Handgun With a Polymer Frame

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • I Prefer Something Else But Would Carry a Polymer Frame

Votes: 29 14.1%
  • I Have No Preference and Would Equally Carry Polymer or Something Else

Votes: 98 47.6%
  • I Prefer Polymer Frames But Would Carry Something Else

Votes: 67 32.5%
  • I Would Only Carry a Handgun With a Polymer Frame

Votes: 8 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems all the manufacturers have them these days. Some, like Glock, have made them among the most popular guns in America.

So....what do you think of carrying a gun with a polymer frame?

Personally, I was in the "I don't want one" camp until not long ago. I've since bought several, mostly HK and Kahr, and.....I'm a convert. I have no reservations anymore.

What do you think? As the industry continues to change, I think you'll see more and more of them. I can see a day in my lifetime when no one is selling a production handgun anymore that isn't polymer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm all for it...............

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I depends on the weapon. I would never own another Kahr with a polymer frame after all the issues I had with a PM40. I have no problem with my Glocks though. If a carry piece will shoot 200 rounds reliably, I'll consider it for carry no matter what it's made out of. Except cheese. I refuse to carry a handgun made out of cheese after the experience with the pit bull.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My carry list (I'm limited to 3 in my county) include 2 hammer fired metal guns and a poly striker gun. > 1/3 poly

·
Super Moderator
18,433 Posts
There is no good reason why the best polymer-framed guns won't serve very well as carry handguns ... for somebody else as I dislike polymer as a component used in the fabrication of guns.

I own a few, have tried 'em but just don't like 'em. I'm completely uninterested in the weight-saving properties of polymer and all polymer guns are terminally ugly. I'm not required to carry ugly when other perfectly satisfactory models are available.

With any luck I'll have long since shuffled off this mortal coil by the time all handguns are made of wretched polymer.

Only my opinion.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What's not to like? For EDC polymer is great. These new guns with corrosion resistant finishes and polymer frames means less maintenance aka less downtime. They'll never be as pretty as some of the other options but for functionality they're hard to beat.

·
Banned
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I generally only carry my polymer guns in the summer due to the lower weight for lighter clothing but I wouldn't be opposed to using them year round.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I depends on the weapon. I would never own another Kahr with a polymer frame after all the issues I had with a PM40. I have no problem with my Glocks though. If a carry piece will shoot 200 rounds reliably, I'll consider it for carry no matter what it's made out of. Except cheese. I refuse to carry a handgun made out of cheese after the experience with the pit bull.
Post of the day, right there.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
With all available options today it is strictly personal preference.

Reactions: Eric357

·
Super Moderator
18,433 Posts
What's not to like? For EDC polymer is great. These new guns with corrosion resistant finishes and polymer frames means less maintenance aka less downtime. They'll never be as pretty as some of the other options but for functionality they're hard to beat.
Gotta reply that the blue steel guns I've always carried don't require a lot of maintenance, haven't corroded yet, and never suffer from downtime.

Fifteen seconds "maintenance" with a RIG-impregnated rag at day's end is a small price to pay for having the benefit of carrying good ol' heavy blue steel.

If one likes light weight, if he enjoys appearing trendy, if he just downright loves the "look" of the modern polymer tribe then well and good. But claims of low maintenance is not a good reason to carry polymer. Sometimes this "low-maintenance" matra begins to sound like laziness and neglect.

Again, just one opinion.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If one likes light weight. If he likes to appear trendy. If he just downright loves the "look" of the modern polymer tribe then well and good. But claims of low maintenance is not a good reason to carry polymer. Sometimes this "low-maintenance" matra begins to sound like laziness and neglect.
And then, there is the reality that this mantra of "low maintenance" is the TRUTH...polymer requires less maintenance than steel...sorry, but it is true.

Some of us have busy lives and there are other things to do than constantly dealing with preventing a steel handgun that is carried everyday in the hot, and humid south...from rusting.

Following your train of thought, on the "laziness"...there should be no riding lawn mowers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
And sometimes you just can't teach old dogs new tricks :smile:

First gun I ever bought was a polymer so to me there's nothing strange about it. It just is what it is. May be different for others. We all have our reasons for what we carry.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Rather carry a 1911, but do carry a plastic some. Shield, 9c, M&P 9, Bodyguard.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I don't have a problem with poly pistols though I carry all metal Sigs mostly. Not a fan of poly revolvers though. Seems unnecessary.

Reactions: Eric357

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
No problem carrying poly frame Guns here. The weight savings and corrosion/ scuff resistance sell it for me. Working guns get banged around sometimes. I doubt the poly guns will be family heirlooms , as I don't think the poly will last like steel over extended long use.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
No problem carrying poly frame Guns here. The weight savings and corrosion/ scuff resistance sell it for me. Working guns get banged around sometimes. I doubt the poly guns will be family heirlooms , as I don't think the poly will last like steel over extended long use.
Agree 100%

I've carried a 1911. But, after my first polymer double stack I haven't looked back. In addition to more ammo and less weight, all the above reasons apply.

-

·
Super Moderator
18,433 Posts
Well Shootnlead, how "low can you go" with this low maintenance business?

When does it become neglect? And, just what sort of environments can polymer shrug off that steel, with a modicum of maintenance, cannot shrug off? How often are we putting our guns through such harsh environments? Are we searching for maintenance-free and if we are, why are we? Who would want to put away their side arm at the end of each day without attending to it, checking it over in some fashion?

Old dogs can't always be bothered with new tricks, Luke. Unless the old dog sees a need for the new trick.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts