Colt .22 Scout, the first handgun I learned to shoot;

Erma .22 Luger, the first handgun I owned;

S&W Model 29, the first handgun I purchased for myself;

S&W Model 59, the first double-stacker I owned;

Glock 19, my first striker-fired.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
None...I like what i like and some i happen to like better than others.

Cant really think of any that influenced me on the handgun side of things.

Hunting guns/Long guns is a another story.

·
Registered
217 Posts
  • The Browning Hi-Power. Consider the number of pistols that use its locking design.
  • The HK P7, no I don't have one, I wouldn't include it except that there seems to be a big increase in the number of pistols using gas delayed blowback.
  • Obviously the S&W .22, the drilled through cylinder has clearly won over percussion designs.
  • The flintlock Pistol, it showed that it was possible to have a loaded pistol ready for use (unlike a matchlock, which needed to be lit before it was ready for use).
  • Colt Patterson Revolver, [wikipedia says it well] "It was the first commercial repeating firearm employing a revolving cylinder with multiple chambers aligned with a single, stationary barrel."
Basically, for most influential, you have to go back

As a comment, my first firearm was also a single shot BP pistol just like the one you showed.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Colt SAA
S&W Model 10
Colt 1911
S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman
Glock Pistol

·
Registered
98 Posts
92FS- was my duty weapon on my first deployment (M9 of course)

CZ75B-my second deployment was working with British Army types and that was their sidearm, got me curious. I finally found a beautiful condition one in .40 and SA. Traded a stock G19 gen 3 for it.

G17- first Glock I bought (well I bought a G26 at the same time)

Ruger SP101- mine is a spurless DAO snubbby I really like the lines, especially with some wooden Altamont grips

Ruger Blackhawk- I watched a million westerns with my grandpa growing up so I always wanted my own SA revolver, I came across a mint condition 50th anniversary model in .44 mag with 6.5 in barrel for a steal.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Colt 1911
S&W Model 19
S&W Military a Police, later to become the Model 10
Any good AR platform
Any good .22 LR rifle

·
Registered
131 Posts
Smith & Wesson model 36 - my father’s handgun
Smith & Wesson model 19 - my first handgun
Smith & Wesson model 39 - my first semi auto
High Standard Victor - my first Bullseye Target pistol
Colt 1911 (and clones) - my choice in defense pistols

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I have two non-firearm honorable mentions, the first is a Crossman pistol similar to yours, but mine was a .177 pellet version. The other is a Nel-Spot 007 paintball gun, the original gun used in paintball, before there were purpose built paintball guns. The Nel Spot was made for forestry operations to mark trees. It was a bolt action pistol. Playing paintball with a bolt action really made you concentrate on shot timing and placement in a simulated force-on-force situation.
  1. Colt Official Police: When I was 12, my Dad set up a wax bullet range for me in the basement. I would take used .38 brass, replace the spent primer with a primer tool, shove a wax bullet in the end. The target was a huge cardboard box a refrigerator had come in, with a target drawn on the side. I really learned how to shoot a revolver extremely well in that basement and it transferred to shooting live ammo later on in life. I always qual'ed expert on any course of fire with a revolver, even if I had not shot one in a while.
  2. S&W Model 36: The first gun I bought when I turned 21 and the first gun I CC'ed as a plainclothes store detective in a large department store. When CC permits came to my state, it was my EDC for years and I still have it.
  3. 1911, custom modded for target shooting by Navy gunsmiths. I used that to compete on a National Match team.
  4. Colt Woodsman Match Target: Also Navy issue and used to shoot smallbore pistol on the National Match team.
  5. Ruger LCR: I have tried other EDCs, but for the last few years, I keep coming back to the the LCR. It is just so darn handy!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Guns that are the most influential in my shooting life?

Ruger P90- my first gun
Ruger LCP- first dedicated carry gun
SP101/LCR- first forays into snubbies
Remington 870- taught me I'm not a fan of shotguns for SD- yes they're effective, I'm just not familiar enough with them to wield effectively
S&W Mod 67- illustrated what a finely gunsmith tuned wheelgun can accomplish. I'll always keep a few semi autos in my collection, but this gun taught me that I really have no interest in accumulating more semi autos. Wheelguns rule!

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
High Standard Victor - 22LR tack driver that pushed me over the top in a number of matches.

Colt 1911 Clark Custom Longslide that allowed me to compete, more or less, with some of the best Bullseye shooters in the country (or my current Kimber Custom TLE RL II for self defense)

Colt SAA - It just feels and points sooooo good!

Glock - any flavor, any color. IMHO the Swiss Army Knife of the gun world, plus they are actually fun to completely disassemble and reassemble!

S&W Shield 45 and Bodyguard 380 which make the best matched pair of defensive carry pistols, for me, aside from two Glocks

There are quite a few others I could add.

Reactions: Dial1911 and hrfunk
1 - 20 of 76 Posts