Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have two non-firearm honorable mentions, the first is a Crossman pistol similar to yours, but mine was a .177 pellet version. The other is a Nel-Spot 007 paintball gun, the original gun used in paintball, before there were purpose built paintball guns. The Nel Spot was made for forestry operations to mark trees. It was a bolt action pistol. Playing paintball with a bolt action really made you concentrate on shot timing and placement in a simulated force-on-force situation.
  1. Colt Official Police: When I was 12, my Dad set up a wax bullet range for me in the basement. I would take used .38 brass, replace the spent primer with a primer tool, shove a wax bullet in the end. The target was a huge cardboard box a refrigerator had come in, with a target drawn on the side. I really learned how to shoot a revolver extremely well in that basement and it transferred to shooting live ammo later on in life. I always qual'ed expert on any course of fire with a revolver, even if I had not shot one in a while.
  2. S&W Model 36: The first gun I bought when I turned 21 and the first gun I CC'ed as a plainclothes store detective in a large department store. When CC permits came to my state, it was my EDC for years and I still have it.
  3. 1911, custom modded for target shooting by Navy gunsmiths. I used that to compete on a National Match team.
  4. Colt Woodsman Match Target: Also Navy issue and used to shoot smallbore pistol on the National Match team.
  5. Ruger LCR: I have tried other EDCs, but for the last few years, I keep coming back to the the LCR. It is just so darn handy!
Man oh, man! I remember that Nel-Spot bolt action paint gun. I got into a local group and joined the original Paint Ball org. Firing a paint ball of .68 caliber that was kinda accurate out to about 30 yards. A little more accuracy if you kept the pellets in a cooler so that the paint inside the pellet wouldn’t move around too much when in flight. We didn’t play it in an open field either, we had several acres of woods to run around in! Close hits would raise a welt. Hits at super close range would break the skin. And, that was with the “new” water based paints. You DID NOT want to be hit by the original oil based paint that was used by the foresters for marking trees!!

·
Premium Member
5,920 Posts
S&W Model 10
S&W Model 36
Colt Govt. 1911
Ruger SP101
S&W Shield

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
My side of the family was not at all into handguns! We had long guns of all kinds, but not many handguns. So I had not even fired one till about high school age. I did not learn to shoot one till I was an adult, And never learned to shoot one well till about 10 years ago. I had owned a few, and even carried them but never got serious about them. They were a tool to get you to your long gun.

So here's my list.
My first was an Iver Johnson 9 shot 22 revolver. It was ear piercingly loud. Later I found that the cylinder gap was about 4 times what it should have been. It was not pleasant to shoot.
2nd was S&W model 66. Stainless steel, adjustable sights, 357 mag...Still one of my favorite handguns!
3rd was a S&W model 59. I couldn't hit squat with it! I got it in 1980 or 81. Everyone had to have a high cap wonder 9!
It was influential because I never wanted another 9mm or a double stack again! Some years later I did buy a couple of Browning High Powers.
4th are the Walther PP and PPK. They were very influential because they introduced me to pocket carry!
5th Once I learned about pocket carry I got started on J frame size revolvers. My EDC today is a S&W 642. Its the right size to always have on me, not be in the way. I have owned several brands but revolvers of this size are what I prefer to carry.
DR

·
Registered
108 Posts
My side of the family was not at all into handguns! We had long guns of all kinds, but not many handguns. So I had not even fired one till about high school age. I did not learn to shoot one till I was an adult, And never learned to shoot one well till about 10 years ago. I had owned a few, and even carried them but never got serious about them. They were a tool to get you to your long gun.

So here's my list.
My first was an Iver Johnson 9 shot 22 revolver. It was ear piercingly loud. Later I found that the cylinder gap was about 4 times what it should have been. It was not pleasant to shoot.
2nd was S&W model 66. Stainless steel, adjustable sights, 357 mag...Still one of my favorite handguns!
3rd was a S&W model 59. I couldn't hit squat with it! I got it in 1980 or 81. Everyone had to have a high cap wonder 9!
It was influential because I never wanted another 9mm or a double stack again! Some years later I did buy a couple of Browning High Powers.
4th are the Walther PP and PPK. They were very influential because they introduced me to pocket carry!
5th Once I learned about pocket carry I got started on J frame size revolvers. My EDC today is a S&W 642. Its the right size to always have on me, not be in the way. I have owned several brands but revolvers of this size are what I prefer to carry.
DR
My family was the same way, only handguns I shot in my youth were an old cheap 22lr revolver my dad had, and an old snubby in 22 short at my grandpa's one time. Nowadays I have a mess of handguns, and my dad even owns a few modern handguns. He still has that 22lr revolver, but I'm working on him for it.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
1..............1911s various sizes and calibers Makes me feel warm and fuzzy
2..............Kimber K6S 357 Magnum. My Companion
3..............Pre Key 686 4" 6 shot. Just a Great Gun
4..............Pre Key M29 6.5". Gotta Love Harry's Magnum
5..............S&W M460. Raw Terror in your hands

Attachments

·
Registered
34,774 Posts
Ruger .41 Magnum Blackhawk. Loved everything about that gun.
H&R 912. Slick little 9-shot 22 that accompanied me on about every hunting/fishing trip Put a few squirrels and grouse in the pot with it.
Stoeger .22 Lugar. Not mine, but what a hoot to shoot. Very reliable.
Glock 30. Big punch in a little package. My first carry gun.
About any 3rd-Gen S&W. I've got the 6906 and 4566, wouldn't mind picking one up in .40.

Least influential--
Ruger .357 Blackhawk. Decided I didn't like the .357 and haven't shot it since. Too hard on the ears.
Some foreign-made .22 six-shooter. POS. Had to tighten the barrel after every cylinder. Could honestly aim at the sky and miss.

Reactions: hrfunk

·
Registered
949 Posts
1. M1911, .45 ACP (x3, now)
2. Star PD (first concealed-carry gun)
3. AMC .45 Backup (in my pocket for almost 20 years)
4. Walther P.38 (first pistol, but traded for a 1911)
5. Semmerling LM-4 (weird collector's pistol, but it works...most of the time)

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,890 Posts
1. Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. A 10 1/2" blue model was my first owned handgun purchased when I was nineteen and just back from Viet Nam.
2. Colt Single-Action revolvers. Mine are a 1919 single-action Colt Frontier .44-40, a 1959 Colt SAA .45 Colt, and a 1978 Colt SAA .45 Colt. I grew up in the 1950s watching westerns on television.
3. Colt Anaconda. My 8" nickel plated Colt Anaconda .44 magnum is my favorite handgun to shoot.
4. Colt Python .357 magnum. Mine are a blue 2 1/2", a blue 4", and a blue 6". I couldn't afford them when I was young.
5. Government model 1911s . Seven of mine are Colts in .45 ACP, two are Colt Delta Elites in 10mm, one is a Dan Wesson Valor in .45 ACP, and two are Springfield TRP Operators in .45 ACP and 10mm. I carried a 1911 in Viet Nam. I carry one from the time I get dressed until it goes on the nightstand when I go to bed.

Reactions: hrfunk

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
1. S&W Model 66 4” : First gun I ever bought for myself. Carried for several years as a young deputy. Went through Louisiana POST law enforcement basic training academy with it (1984). Still carried at times.

2. 1911 .45 : First semi auto. Covers a lot of basics. Still carried at times.

3. S&W J Frame : Instilled my comfort with very small defensive handguns. My first was a 36 now days it’s a 642.

4. GLOCK 19 : Innovative design for it’s time. Stellar performance. Just about perfect size and weight for any defensive need.

5. Ruger S/A’s : I have ‘em in .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, .45 ACP and .22 LR/Mag ..... they make me feel like my childhood hero, Hoss Cartwright, and they’re just fun !

·
Registered
607 Posts
Five Most Influential Handguns in My Life

1. Colt Diamondback .22LR – I *think* this was the first handgun I ever shot. I later became a big fan of its smooth action and its (quite literally) tack-driving accuracy.

2. Colt Python .357 Magnum – Where do I start. Dad used this gun to shoot a .38 cal blank at a coffee can, thus indoctrinating me into the world of gun safety. This was his Duty weapon (for a time). This was the first magnum handgun I ever shot. This was the first gun I ever reloaded for (Dad taught me to reload for this gun, and we put the gun through its paces with some pretty hot loads from the Speer Reloading Manual.

3. Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum – This is probably my favorite big-bore handgun. I’m at a loss for words to describe it, though. The classical, Old West styling, deep blued finish, silky-smooth hammer and light, crisp trigger are all factors. Using this one and the Python, Dad taught me to not flinch.

4. Colt Government Model of 1911 has the perfect combination of aesthetic beauty and functional utility. Dad’s was made in 1918 and became his duty weapon about the time angel dust became a thing, largely for its knockdown power. He defied many who criticized its lack of accuracy by being able to shoot accurately out to 100 yards with it. Perhaps that is why he was a firearms instructor at the county police academy.

5. Glock. While my first polymer, striker-fired pistol was a Taurus PT-145, I really learned to appreciate polymer pistols after shooting a Glock 21. The way it so easily came back on target after firing allowed me to look past its butt-ugly appearance and appreciate it for what it was, a rugged, reliable, well-made tool for self-defense in a caliber I liked (.45 ACP). Likewise, the Glock 19x expanded my world to include 9mm as a carry option. With its 17-round magazine in a concealable, easy-to-shoot-accurately package, I looked past the FDE. (Full disclosure - I have retired the 19x to the safe and use its 'civilian dressed' counterpart the G45.)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock
Merits elaboration:
I like the consistent trigger pull.
I carried a personally owned Glock as a cop in the early 1990's, won department shooting competition with it twice.
Glock picked up the 10mm caliber long ago, low bore axis and thick slide of the Glock 20 help mitigate recoil. The Glock 20 surely assisted 10mm longevity.
Glock introduced the 26/27 in response to the stupid 1994 AWB - 10 round limit; Glock 26 was (is) a easily concealed pistol that held the full arbitrary limit.
Glock has a reputation for "out of the box" reliability, people can reasonably expect a Glock to work and feed nearly any HP without needing extensive "break-in".

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Registered
34,774 Posts
Reactions: hrfunk and Tstone

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ruger Single Six - First handgun I ever handled
Beretta 96 - First handgun I ever bought - was the only real lefty-friendly pistol available at the time but ultimately not a good fit for me
Glock G26 - First carry pistol I ever bought and it still gets plenty of carry time
Ruger SP101 .357 - First revolver I ever bought
S&W 1911 - First foray into 1911

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Ruger Super Single Six- first single action I owned
S&W Model 15 snub-nose- first CCW I ever carried while aircrew on helicopters
1911-first .45 acp I owned while in USAF
Ruger Security Six- went through Police Academy with
Glock 17- First striker fired gun I carried as a cop
Shield 9mm- been a primary carry gun since retiring
Sig P-365 is quickly replacing the Shield which I still really like

* I couldn't decide which (2) to delete to equal (5) choices :embarassed:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
1911 (military sidearm)
S&W Model 1917
S&W Model 10
S&W Model 13
High Standard 22 semiauto

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
1) The flintlock (can be carried ready to fire)
2)The Colt-Paterson Revolver (first true repeating firearm)
3) Browning M1900 (the locked breech action pioneered by Browning is now the most common pistol action in the world)
4) CZ 75 (perhaps the pinnacle of DA/SA designs)
5) Glock (lightweight polymer on a successful scale)

Reactions: OD*
21 - 40 of 76 Posts