Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Ooops sorry....can moderators move this to Concealed Carry?)

At least in Colorado it is currently legal to concealed carry in the baggage claim area......here's the scenario....

You arrive at the airport to pick up your daughter, flying in from the west coast. You're standing by baggage claim #3......then a shot rings out at baggage claim #2. Then a second shot, at which time you make visual contact of the shooter. Everyone around you, including your daughter quickly falls to the floor. You are carrying a 45, 1911. The shooter shoots a third and a fourth shot, turns and is walking toward you, popping people in the their skulls as they lie on the ground. He is 50 feet from you.

What do you do?

·
Premium Member
38,994 Posts

At least in Colorado it is currently legal to concealed carry in the baggage claim area......here's the scenario....

You arrive at the airport to pick up your daughter, flying in from the west coast. You're standing by baggage claim #3......then a shot rings out at baggage claim #2. Then a second shot, at which time you make visual contact of the shooter. Everyone around you, including your daughter quickly falls to the floor. You are carrying a 45, 1911. The shooter shoots a third and a fourth shot, turns and is walking toward you, popping people in the their skulls as they lie on the ground. He is 50 feet from you.

What do you do?
Make it fifty yards, so we'll have room for other options.

Reactions: Chicagobill and PEF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make it fifty yards, so we'll have room for other options.

Fair enough.....cause I think if the shooter is only 15-20 yards away, we have no other option than to draw and shoot.

Ok......it 50 yards......or even further down the terminal.

You have the option to grab your daughter and run.........or defend the defenseless..... What do you do?

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
As with every other "what if" scenario, there are other variables. only one thing is certain, I'm not just standing there while all this happens.

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
Fair enough.....cause I think if the shooter is only 15-20 yards away, we have no other option than to draw and shoot.

Ok......it 50 yards......or even further down the terminal.

You have the option to grab your daughter and run.........or defend the defenseless..... What do you do?
In most of these hypothetical scenarios, I would say grab my daughter and run, because if people choose not to protect themselves, that's not my problem. My daughters safety and my safety are my priority. Given that this is a location where people are not strictly forbidden from carrying, but the rules make it difficult for the vast majority of people to be armed, ideally I would get my daughter somewhere that she will be safe, and at that point when she is somewhere that is somewhat safe, I will engage the shooter if possible.

·
Premium Member
38,994 Posts
15 yards hard to tell since you can't carry there.
50 yards - grab my daughter and run. I'm not John Wick.
Fifty yards is very do-able, especially with a full-sized .45 1911. I'm not John Wick, either.

·
Premium Member
38,994 Posts
With my 43 and skills I'm almost certain that bullet wouldn't reach the desired target.
Fair enough. The long shots are why I never go small with my main carry guns.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts

What do you do?
Why am I carrying someone else's gun?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
50 yards against an active shooter? Assuming he's not doing the mannequin challenge, you're more likely to hit an innocent bystander.

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
You hit the ground with daughter at the first shot as the OP stated. Didn't you draw on moving to the floor? If you didn't and he's 50 feet from you, going for that belted 1911 may be just enough movement to get his attention directly on you while you're writhing around trying to draw it from prone?

Shots fired close by? I know how I react to loud noises close by, I'm moving. If where I'm standing is x, x can't keep up with me.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My first and primary priority is to ensure the safety of my loved ones. There is a danger of pulling a gun after shots have rang out that you will be tagged as one of the BGs and perhaps another DefensiveCarry member will plug you with their S&W 9mm Shield.
If it came to a point that the BG posed an immanent threat to my loved ones, I would not hesitate to fire and stop the threat. At that point I would rotate my head like an owl an determine if any more threats existed. If not, I would place my weapon on the ground an stand there for the authorities to arrive. hey will most likely initially assume you are the BG, be prepared for that.
Bottom line, I would try not to engage unless absolutely necessary to defend my family and then I would do so without a moments hesitation.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
oops you said 50 feet.. I misread that.

If cover is available, move to cover and fire on the threat. If cover is not available, go prone and fire on the target. My hope would be that any missed shots would be directed upward

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In most of these hypothetical scenarios, I would say grab my daughter and run, because if people choose not to protect themselves, that's not my problem. My daughters safety and my safety are my priority. Given that this is a location where people are not strictly forbidden from carrying, but the rules make it difficult for the vast majority of people to be armed, ideally I would get my daughter somewhere that she will be safe, and at that point when she is somewhere that is somewhat safe, I will engage the shooter if possible.

This is exactly what I would do. I could care less about my life in that situation, but my daughter's life is my 100% focus and priority.

I would probably NOT return to engage the shooter. By that point....I rush back, draw my weapon in plain clothes and likely take one from a Cop.

·
Premium Member
38,994 Posts
You hit the ground with daughter at the first shot as the OP stated. Didn't you draw on moving to the floor? If you didn't and he's 50 feet from you, going for that belted 1911 may be just enough movement to get his attention directly on you while you're writhing around trying to draw it from prone?

Shots fired close by? I know how I react to loud noises close by, I'm moving. If where I'm standing is x, x can't keep up with me.
One thing you didn't mention is that shooting from the prone will put your rounds on an upward trajectory, lessening the likelihood of hitting bystanders.

Reactions: 1911srule and AzQkr
1 - 20 of 78 Posts