Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

·
Premium Member
36,748 Posts
Hickock45 is still lima charlie, non-restricted with ads in place.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Just checked three channels. One being the Firearms Blog (source of news story), Hickok45's and another gun channel I follow.

None of them had ads start up on their videos.

I even sorted by most popular to get the video that is sure to have ads (Hickok45's has 15 million views on his popular video for example) and no ad was started.

Just tried it again in a different browser. Same channels, same videos, same results (no ads).

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I'd slow down on the worrying, a lot of these people have Patreon accounts and post a good portion of their videos there before moving them to Youtube. Yankee I know does, NutnFancy I think does, but he stopped making ad money long ago and still keeps on trucking. Hickok45 is set for life until he utters the words "Buds suck", but then again I have this feeling that guy is in no danger of being broke to begin with. I don't think Tim makes anything off ads, but I believe he may be partly sponsored at this point, might be wrong on that one. Sootch has to be sponsored in that he's like Hickok, he has way too many guns and reviews to not have some company somewhere giving him a boost. There really aren't that many channels I'd miss. The rest of them seem to be operator wannabes and people who very clearly just buy something once in a while and upload a quickie opinion on it.

There used to be a few kids that had channels.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
You've got a corporate juggernaut with their fingers in the political pie, this stuff is bound to happen. I still think it's too soon to salute the ship as she goes down, if they were truly really after those channels, they could kill them off in a couple of hours tops. Google also knows that the majority of users have ad blockers too, so I don't buy the revenue excuse for just the gun channels. What will kill off the gun channels is if they do a PewdiPie-type move and basically force users to pay for certain content.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Well hell, they might as well just get out of the business. I can find a lot on TV that is offensive, but they sure don't mind their ads on that kind of media.
Well, sometimes they do. If folks complain about a TV show, advertisers will often pull their ads for fear of offending anyone.

I guess YouTube is trying to give advertisers a way of controlling where their ads appear. With so much varied content out there, much of it produced by ordinary people, I just don't see how they are going to be able to make it work, though.

Better might be to have the ad run on the side, not in the video frame. That would ensure that the ad was not associated with the content. However, then viewers would just ignore the ad.

In any case, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. Guaranteed it won't please everyone...maybe not even anyone.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Youtube is a privately owned business; they can allow or prohibit whatever they see fit, without limitations. If your primary job/business is predicated on someone else' platform your livelihood is very vulnerable. It's the same thing I never understood about condos- why buy an apartment in a building you can't own?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just checked three channels. One being the Firearms Blog (source of news story), Hickok45's and another gun channel I follow.

None of them had ads start up on their videos.

I even sorted by most popular to get the video that is sure to have ads (Hickok45's has 15 million views on his popular video for example) and no ad was started.

Just tried it again in a different browser. Same channels, same videos, same results (no ads).
Hickok45 only has ads on a few of his videos. It can be hard to find one with an ad...

·
Banned
153 Posts
I think this is the first time in history that I have gone clicking on videos looking for ads and yeah I haven't found any on my favorite gun channels. Hope that it comes back as they said.

However, reality is that it is going to HURT no matter which way you cut it. Assuming they get these demographic settings in place, it is still going to mean gun channels will be making less money. Firearms are kind of a small demographic and there are going to be fewer advertisers sending funding their way.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I doubt the restriction will last long. The ads will probably be back in a few days. Stuff like this has happened before.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Truth be told, I haven't seen any ads on gun related channels lately either. I wouldn't doubt it. Another thing that went unnoticed is that Amazon banned and deleted most firearm related items. Many third party sellers have reported that Amazon deleted most of their firearm related listings as well. A couple of years ago I was able to buy Magpul, Hogue, and other accessories for my rifles and shotguns. Last week when I went to search for an AR build and nothing showed up. I then went to my purchase history and tried to follow the links to the firearm related items I purchased in the past only to find that the page was deleted. They even banned Balisongs and other types of knives.

Examples of prohibited listings

Gun parts and accessories, even when designed or marketed for use with paintball or airsoft guns, such as:
Assault weapon conversion kits
Assault weapon grips, forend grips, front grips, and foregrips,
Assault weapon and AR-specific tools, such as:
Vise blocks
AR-15/M16 armorer’s wrenches or combo wrenches
Bullet button tools
Auto sears, such as:
Full auto sears (also known as drop-in auto sear or DIAS)
AR-15 auto sears
Auto sear IIs
Barrels, barrel shrouds, barrel extenders, heat guards, hand guards, and vent cooling slots
Battery assist levers
Bayonet mounts or lugsand any device for attaching a bayonet to a firearm
Camouflaging gun containers
Charging handles, latches, and assemblies
Detachable carry handles and assault rifle carry handles
Ejection port, ejection port covers, and dust covers
Frames
Gas blocks, gas tubes, and gas pistons
Certain grips and grip accessories, such as:
Pistol grips designed for attachment to an assault weapon, rifle, or shotgun
Folding, vertical, and tactical grips
Angled foregrips and ambidextrous foregrips
Grip pods, funnels, and extensions
Hand stops
Kits that can be used to create gun magazines
Machine gun conversion kits and any part or combination of parts for converting a firearm into an automatic weapon
Magazines and related items, such as:
Magazine components or extensions
Magazine cinches, couplers, connectors, dual mag holders, and dual mag clamps
Magazine loaders that can accommodate the following calibers: .223/5.56; 7.62x51; 308; 7.62x39; 5.45x39
Multi-rail systems, including quad rails and rail covers, free-floating and drop-in handguards
Muzzle brakes (also known as muzzle tamers)
Pistol stabilizing braces
Recoil compensators
Receivers, including lower and upper receivers
Receiver extensions and pins
Revolving cylinder for a shotgun
Selector levers, detents, and switches
Single point, 3-point, tactical, and quick detach slings
Sling plates and end plates
Slide fire stock and weapons kits, such as:
Bump firing devices, stocks, and kits
Solvent trap oil filter adapters, solvent traps and homemade silencers, and component parts for solvent traps and homemade silencers
Any non-fixed stock, including telescoping, folding or collapsible stocks
Silencers or suppressors, including:
Flash suppressors
Sound suppressors
Suppressors marketed or intended for airsoft, air guns, or paintball guns
Fake, mock, or faux silencers or suppressors
Takedown pins, pivot pins, cam pins, and roll pins
Threaded barrel adapters
Thumbhole stocks
Trigger activators, such as:
Multi-burst trigger activators
Trigger attachments
Devices that facilitate so-called "bump firing"
All internal/moving gun parts, such as:
Bolt catch releases, assemblies, actuators, and battery assist levers
Bolt carriers, bolt pins, and buffer pins
Buffer tubes and related parts and extension tubes
Firing pins, springs, and stops
Trigger, trigger assemblies, or fire control groups
Upgrade parts and replacement parts
Anti-walk pin

Parts or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon
Replicas of firearms that were manufactured after 1898 and/or are capable of firing fixed ammunition
Weapons designed to be concealed
Weapons or other items intended solely for law enforcement or military use

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I still find quite a bit of firearms related stuff on Amazon. In fact I have an Elzetta flashlight mount on the way from Amazon right now. I've bought a couple of RDSs from them as well.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I still find quite a bit of firearms related stuff on Amazon. In fact I have an Elzetta flashlight mount on the way from Amazon right now. I've bought a couple of RDSs from them as well.
The Elzetta flashlight mount is there, but it's there against Amazon's policy. ("Assault weapon parts or accessories or products marketed as assault weapon parts or accessories, including reference to various assault weapon models") The Elzetta flashlight mount references the AR15... Many others have been removed, and some vendors have had their accounts suspended. I have amazon prime and use to purchace all my AR and AK tools and furnature from them, but now most all the Magpul, BCM, Tapco, etc funature are gone. Pistol grips and the like, stuff explicitly marketed for assault rifles, tools like AR Vise blocks, AR-15/M16 armorer’s wrenches or combo wrenches, bullet button tools, etc use to be allowed, but now aren't. Heck, even the sale of magazines loaders for 223/5.56; 7.62x51; 308; 7.62x39; 5.45x39 are banned now.

Amazon: Weapons and Imitation Weapons

1 - 20 of 53 Posts