Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was pretty much decided on a load for my Remington/AAC Model 7, but today I re-verified it.
Granted, it's only 50 yds, but that is pretty much the extent of this rifle for around the house.
4.8gr 700X, 150gr Sierra Pro Hunter SP spitzers, 2.110~ COL, 1060fps

Five shots.
phffft... phffft phffft phffft phffft
Stupid quiet. Shot a woodchuck in the yard on a quiet day and the neighbor 60-70 yds away didn't even turn her head. Recoil is non-existent.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Very nice!

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work. Are you going to develop a 220 gr load?
Thanks. I played around with some heavier bullets, but all things considered, sound, accuracy, bullet drop and cost, I think I'll stick with these.
This load did not cycle my Mini 14, even suppressed. I wouldn't recommend it for a semi. Not unless you can turn off the gas for single shot applications.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SWEET! I didn't know you had one in a bolt too.
It's the reason I bought the Mini in AAC BLK, I was already reloading it for this gun.
I always try to connect the dots :wink:

Still waitin' on the pistol :biggrin2:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
It's the reason I bought the Mini in AAC BLK, I was already reloading it for this gun.
I always try to connect the dots :wink:

Still waitin' on the pistol :biggrin2:
I like how you're thinking. So are you basically going to create a load for the bolt and then let the Mini eat what it gets? Or build up two? Or... does the same load work for both.

Great idea!

Not thinking I'm going to find a semi in 30-30. I'll need to revisit my plan :smile:

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Mini likes the same bullets, but the powder and charge are different. I updated that thread in Reloading with what I settled on.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ranged my load this afternoon.
At 25 and 50yds my POI is virtually the same. You can see the drop moving to 75 and 100 though. I might get some water jugs set up just to see what kind of performance I'm getting at 100yds... in a water jug :wink:

First shot at each of the distances was low, more noticeable at 75 and 100 of course, otherwise with the quartering headwind I suppose the groups aren't too terrible. Especially if you scratch the first shot. Close enough for what I'll be using it for, but I'll give the can a shot of inert gas before shooting at distances over 60yds or so. I've already tried it and it cures bullet drop until the suppressor gets gassed up from shooting.
It feels and behaves like like shooting a .22, except for the bullet thwack.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To Continue...

I finally got around to loading up some of those Speer 130gr Varmint bullets. The ones I said had a huge hole for expansion/blowing apart. Hopefully these won't drill straight through a ground hogs head and will afford a little more shock value for a body shot.

I fired a couple through the chronograph and found that going from 4.8grs of 700X to 4.0 gave me a charge that would stay subsonic and was close to the 150gr loads above, so I loaded seven up. They averaged 1023fps with a spread of 47. Kind of high, but I don't weigh as accurate as my Dillon throws, so the ES will come done some. That might have accounted for some of the vertical stringing, though it was probably more my shoulder as well.

After a couple sighters I was able to put five shots touching at 50 yds. Not bad for a first outing and not having shot in a while. They hit about 1" to the right, but the same elevation as the 150gr loads. I'll have to remember that for scope adjustment. I'm curious what the drop will be. Hopefully not as much being a lighter bullet, which should give me a little more leeway as an around the house varmint load.

Just for comparison's sake I took a couple pics of the 130gr Speer's next to a 135gr SMK's for you. I think the shorter Speer, just like the 150gr Sierra Spitzers, allows it to stabilize better at subsonic speeds over the more expensive SMK's, which haven't been as accurate for me. And that suits me just fine. Cheaper is good :yup: Plus look at the size of that hollow point.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts