Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few quick comments regarding the ZLOGONJE holster that I bought. Time of delivery: about six weeks which was consistent with their web page. Overall quality was generally very good, except for one fatal problem, at least for me. The leather on the tip pf the outside of the mouth of the holster was so soft that it was almost impossible to holster the gun without using two hands: one to hold the gun and the other to keep the mouth of the holster open to replace the weapon. That outside tip or top of the mouth if you will, would colapse making simple reupholstering impossible. As such, this holster is now simply one taking up space in my holster drawer. Too bad. The rest of the holster was very well constructed.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Just a few quick comments regarding the ZLOGONJE holster that I bought. Time of delivery: about six weeks which was consistent with their web page. Overall quality was generally very good, except for one fatal problem, at least for me. The leather on the tip pf the outside of the mouth of the holster was so soft that it was almost impossible to holster the gun without using two hands: one to hold the gun and the other to keep the mouth of the holster open to replace the weapon. That outside tip or top of the mouth if you will, would colapse making simple reupholstering impossible. As such, this holster is now simply one taking up space in my holster drawer. Too bad. The rest of the holster was very well constructed.
which model holster did you get?
have you thought about letting them know of this problem?
they should know, and maybe they can make it better for you
the holsters on their website look very nice

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was their Pancake OWB holster. I did not contact them in so far as I thought that this is the way the holster is made and as such not a defect. Sort of buyer beware. In fairness, they did not make any representations that the mouth of the holster would remain open for re-hosltering and as such, my mistake.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It was their Pancake OWB holster. I did not contact them in so far as I thought that this is the way the holster is made and as such not a defect. Sort of buyer beware. In fairness, they did not make any representations that the mouth of the holster would remain open for re-hosltering and as such, my mistake.
IMHO, you should contact them anyway.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Let's see it

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
212 Posts
Does it have a reinforced mouth?

If not, that is why. Many makers specifically state that in order to achieve 1 hand reholstering, the customer should order the holster with a reinforced mouth strip.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would at least shoot him an email. It very well could be a defect in the making of the holster. He couldve gotten a bad hide from his distributor. He may have cut your holster out an area where the hide isnt as stiff as it should be. There is lots of scrap working with leather and minimizing that scrap can be a challenge. At least let him try to make it right especially if you like the holster.

There are also ways to harden the leather yourself with little to no tools for a couple bucks if you wanna go that route.

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
It can be a thin line to try and make a holster stiff enough to stay open with a single layer of leather around the mouth, even using good quality leather as you can use heat to stiffen up the leather or you can rely on an almost pure acrylic finish for the extra stiffness but both methods can run the risk of making the leather brittle.
I try to walk in the middle by adding a second layer of leather around the mouth to keep the closing up from happening on owb rigs.

Contact them and let them know whats going on as it appears like he uses very good leather, he may have got a batch that was softer than normal or it may be how that holster was designed as some builders will allow the belt tension on the holster to really put in on the gun (after affect of doing this is the holster can try to close up when empty)
Contact them and im sure they will fix it or tell you that is how the design works for that model, I have never heard anything bad on there work, it happens but give them a chance lord knows ive made a mistake or two my self.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Contact him. He does great work and I'm sure he would want to hear about this issue. Keep in mind that working with a holster is different than wearing one. If I put every holster on and checked it out, folks would be annoyed that it looked worn. Even if I did that, it's not being worn my me so maybe I don't notice something you notice. I check the gun fit, look over it, but I'm not putting most of them on. Especially pancakes.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm going to disagree, because every holster must be designed and built for one-handed holstering. To do any less is to misunderstand what a holster IS. Draw with one hand, holster with one hand, secure any retainers with one hand. Every maker can do it, with every model, so why not? 150 year old holsters can do it, surely a 21st century maker will do it every time.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Everybody always talks about holstering with one hand. Yes that's important. But nobody mentions looking as you re-holster. Especially if you have a cover shirt.
Yeah they do. A lot. You may be the first to mention it on this thread, but I assure you it has been mentioned in nearly every thread about holster quality or when the one or two hand holstering method is debated.

OP, I'd contact them. At the least they should offer a refund. But I wouldn't be blasting them online before you at least gave them the chance to make it right.

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
I don't think it is expecting to much to be able reholster one handed with a owb rig at all , I would expect to be able to myself. Iwb holsters can be a little harder when your trying to go as thin as you can go. For comfort but still doable. Just contact them he may have just got in softer area on the leather , different parts of the hide are firmer or softer - do give them a chance before you write them off. One a few of my iwb holsters I try to use a softer back and firmer front so the holster will really conform easly to your body but still be very firm on the gun. I don't want a piece of leather that is a stiff as kydex stuck inside my pants. I would just go with kydex if I wanted it that stiff.

Sent from my LGAS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In response to Ianthin, I did not consider my post as "blasting" the company or its product. Only a simple review/observation on my part. Again, the company never represented that the mouth of the holster would remain open. As such, I did not say that they failed to do what they said they would do. My only observation was that for me, the holster does not work.

Per many suggestions, I have sent an e-mail to the company expressing my thoughts on their holster. If they decide to respond i will let everyone know. Again, no intent to blast or bash anyone.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have just received the following response. I could not expect or hope of any better response. As some have said the owner, Dan, is really a stand up guy who apparently wants to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. Very impressive.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your holster. Can you expound a little on what it is doing? Is the front collapsing, or is the back side caving in?
Part of the way a traditional 50/50 split pancake works is that the wings pull back on the front panel of the holster and snug the gun into place. However, it should not do this to the degree of closing off the mouth of the holster.

Is it possible to send me a top angle pic of this happening while wearing the holster?

Its entirely possible that a soft spot popped up in the leather. I use the best steer hide you can buy, but that doesn't mean that sometimes there isn't a spot that wasn't tanned or treated properly.

What we do from here is entirely up to you. The first option is that I can refund your purchase price for the holster. But what I would rather do is ask that you give me a chance to redeem myself and remake the holster to eliminate the possibility of bad materials. Whatever you choose, the last thing I would want is for you to feel stuck with a holster that does not meet your expectations.

In either case I would ask for you to return the original holster so I can inspect it and investigate what went wrong with it. I would obviously pay for return shipping either via reimbursement or emailing you a return label.

Please consider these options and let me know what you decide. Again I apologize for this happening, and thank you for contacting me about it.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
it's always best to open up a dialog when there's a problem with a product

1 - 20 of 21 Posts