Info on firearm transportation

This is a discussion on Info on firearm transportation within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, Next month I am making a trip from WI to ND. My WI CCW permit is honored in ND. However, 3 hours of ...

Hey all,

Next month I am making a trip from WI to ND. My WI CCW permit is honored in ND. However, 3 hours of my drive is through MN which does not honor my CCW permit. I am a bit confused as to what I will need to do as far as storing the gun and ammo in my car while driving through. I've tried researching the MN laws, but they didn't seem to clear for me, especially for non-permit holders. Any help/information would be appreciated!

If you're legal where you live and legal at your destination, Fed law allows you to transport your firearm legally*. If you're driving and passing through jurisdictions where you are not legal to carry on your person or in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, then you need to carry it unloaded, apart from ammo, and preferably in its own storage container (not a holster) in the trunk. The point is that it is not available/accessible by anyone in the passenger compartment.

If you haven't done so already, look here: Handgunlaw.us

*New York and New Jersey are notable exceptions. Their mode of operation is to arrest first under state law, then let the courts and your lawyer sort it out.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

So, if I had the pistol unloaded and locked in a case in the truck of my car, where could the ammo be stored?

When I had to go to Minnesota last spring, I unloaded the gun and locked it up. Gun in trunk, ammo in console.

Can't say I'm all that fond of the lack of reciprocity. No more Minnesota for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    So, if I had the pistol unloaded and locked in a case in the truck of my car, where could the ammo be stored?
    In a separate container (box); trunk is OK if the gun is locked in its own container. Again, the point is to prevent having a gun being available to shoot quickly.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If you're legal where you live and legal at your destination, Fed law allows you to transport your firearm legally*. If you're driving and passing through jurisdictions where you are not legal to carry on your person or in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, then you need to carry it unloaded, apart from ammo, and preferably in its own storage container (not a holster) in the trunk. The point is that it is not available/accessible by anyone in the passenger compartment.

If you haven't done so already, look here: Handgunlaw.us

*New York and New Jersey are notable exceptions. Their mode of operation is to arrest first under state law, then let the courts and your lawyer sort it out.
    And I don't understand that, why interstate travelers aren't "Federally" protected while in transit from one legal state to another. During my stint as a DOT weight inspector, I found many of the state commercial vehicle laws mirrored federal law and there where many instances where federal law stated what states could and could not do in regards to interstate commercial trucking regulation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links