Defensive Carry banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
34,690 Posts
Like CTR says, you can't respond to force with disproportionate force. If someone pulls a knife out and brandishes it, saying "Don't mess with me, I have a knife," you can't shoot them. If they are aiming to attack you, then you probably can.
I will disagree with that statement. What would your response be, pull your own knife just to keep the playing field level? "Officer, he pulled a knife on me--there it is--so I shot him tp protect my self from his deadly attack.

Cass dismissed.

A deadly weapon--and a knife IS a deadly weapon--justifies deadly force. It's not like some madder-than-hell woman slapped the snot out of you so you shot her. You pull a knife and I'll pull a gun.

Reactions: Kenny53

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Legally I don't know, but I like breathing and any time anybody tries to take my breath away I will respond whether they use pepper spray or anything else. They make a bad decision and they pay for it. It would probably depend on how intent they were on disabling or killing me. If it got to a point where it was them or me there wouldn't be a question in my mind. Guess it goes back to the question of whether you fear for your life at that point.
I try to not over think things. You might have to think fast enough if you do come under attack without having to sort out a lot in your mind.
I pulled a prank on my wife one time and she reacted by slapping me. It was a natural reaction for what I did and she did it very quickly. If the time comes that you need to react it might pay to do it naturally and very quickly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I believe it all depends on the context of the situation and how well you can articulate your reasonable belief of the assailants intent. Almost anything by it's use or intended use can become a "deadly weapon".

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Yes.

In my training and experience OC, CS, CN , Taser can be used to temporarily incapacitate you. The BG can then kidnap you, or hurt you at will. If armed they can disarm you and use it against you. So yes, as long as you can articulate WHY you responded with what force and it is reasonable.

With that in mind, the least they are getting is punched.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
This is a very abbreviated version of the police shooting that caused the death of Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta.

Brooks, wielding and firing a taser taken from a police officer in a scuffle, was shot and killed by Officer Garrett Rolfe. Shortly after the incident Rolfe was arrested for felony murder and ten other criminal charges. Rolfe maintains he fired in self defense.
Politically motivated.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts