Defensive Carry banner

Have you ever used a shoulder rig for EDC?

• Yes (explain why in comments)

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • No (explain why not in comments)

Votes: 11 50.0%
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I can't carry on the hips. The only belt I can tolerate is an elastic belt and only with suspenders. In the winter, before a acquired a CCW winter coat, I wore a shoulder holster under the coat. Summer I wear a denim CCW vest. Sunday for church I carry in a shoulder holster under my suit coat.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Ain’t no chance of becoming James Bond if you don’t try. I vote yay on the shoulder holster. Bonus points if its with a Walther paired with a suppressor.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Voted no.

I live in Las Vegas/Henderson NV. Too hot to always wear a jacket or outer cover garment.

Tried a cross draw but found it harder to conceal with just a shirt.

OWB works best for me under a 2xl t shirt.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
View attachment 357003

I would highly recommend a Jackass Rig. They allow a greater degree of Cant on the gun for a muzzle up carry. I use one for both my Governments and my Commander. It is my recommendation you don’t cheap out a cheap one may simply turn you off without getting a fair chance.
For years I've wanted a Jackass rig for my Glock 20. At 5'11" 230, I can put that under a sport coat. Of course, here in AZ, I don't tend to wear that much when it's 116 out.
Even so. I still want one.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Quite early on, I learned that the presentation from a shoulder rig was both awkward and slow, and preferentially required two hands to accomplish smoothly and quickly.
With perhaps the exception of Sam Andrews's best rig, shoulder holsters generally present the user with a lot of slack to overcome, which is why one needs to use two hands. The "weak" hand stabilizes the rig, while the "strong" hand accomplishes the presentation.
Further, presentations from a shoulder harness will "sweep," and thereby menace, innocent persons standing behind the concealed-weapon user. While "in gravest extreme" this may not be a serious issue to some, it has always bothered me. I suppose that in terms of "competing harms" the issue is moot, but it still bothers me.
So I don't carry my pistol in a shoulder holster.

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
I have worn one for decades and still do. Just work around the limitations like anything else. When I do I also carry a J frame AIWB.

·
Premium Member
9,044 Posts
I have never used a shoulder rig for EDC but I have been contemplating it in the past few years and maybe ready to give it a go.
Wife and I do a bit more travelling by Jeep in past few years and it seems would be more comfortable for that.
It is the cover garment thing that I need to work out as Texas has some long hot summers. I have been thinking of perhaps a very light tropical linen/cotton sport coat.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I use a shoulder holster whenever possible. It has certain limitations, but it is by far my favorite means of carry. The most part, I use Galco Miami Classics - both vertical and horizontal. Although it is very hot right now, living in Minnesota allows me to use a SH fully eight months out of the year.

·
Premium Member
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Why I have never used one: too many limitations IMHO. Must wear cover garment in addition to normal shirt and I only wear suits to Church and Court. For really big guys they are both fiddly and often not adjustable enough.
Interesting point. I really gave them up when I was really big at 310 pounds. Since my Gastric Bypass surgery in 2009, I’ve lost 162 pounds and kept most of it off. I put some back on, deliberately because so many folks kept asking if I was dying of Cancer because I looked so emaciated and fragile. I’m now at a very comfortable 200-210 and loving life. I could return to a shoulder rig for the winters.

Reactions: PD1097

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I live in Florida. I can't open carry and it's warm here. It would require me to wear a cover garment. I rarely wear a jacket, even in the winter. I think it would be a good alternative for winter carry in colder climates, especially while driving. Much easier to access and more comfortable when driving.

·
Administrator
144,332 Posts
If possible, I would now go with a Ritchie Holsters shoulder holster.
It is made to the Lou Alessi design. Extremely comfortable for all day carry. Mine are original Alessi.
The general consensus is that the folks at Alessi holsters are leaving a bit to be desired as a working business.
Ritchie Holsters is where you would want to shop for an Alessi Shoulder Rig - It's a pull-through snap design.
You just grab the gun butt and pull.
Not available for some firearm models.
It's great for an under the armpit firearm carry and the strap system is very comfortable.
In my experience - One of the very finest shoulder holsters for 1911 genre of handgun.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
I have never used a shoulder rig for EDC but I have been contemplating it in the past few years and maybe ready to give it a go.
Wife and I do a bit more travelling by Jeep in past few years and it seems would be more comfortable for that.
It is the cover garment thing that I need to work out as Texas has some long hot summers. I have been thinking of perhaps a very light tropical linen/cotton sport coat.
When I lived in Texas and carried concealed for 20 years there I wore Hawaiian shirts all the time...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I live in Florida. I can't open carry and it's warm here. It would require me to wear a cover garment. I rarely wear a jacket, even in the winter. I think it would be a good alternative for winter carry in colder climates, especially while driving. Much easier to access and more comfortable when driving.
Eddie Bauer outfitter shirts or Bass Proshop vented fishing shirts don’t recall the name though Academy and Cabelas offer similar are my solution for heat. I suppose Hawaiian shirts would work but they aren’t commonly seen in my area. The trick is shirts that are light and breathable which allow airflow and either moisture wicking or cotton undershirts. You don’t need a sport coat or jacket basically any button up with a pattern that has stripes or some other figuring to break lines. Just my experience carrying with one for over a decade in various climates.

·
Premium Member
9,044 Posts
When I lived in Texas and carried concealed for 20 years there I wore Hawaiian shirts all the time...
Did you wear your shoulder holster under your open Hawaiian shirt?
I dress almost everyday in Western fashion. Jeans, t-shirt with a western shirt, boots and hat.
I was thinking if I added a very light tropical cotton sport jacket it would not clash to bad.
Would be good most of the time except June-August.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Quite early on, I learned that the presentation from a shoulder rig was both awkward and slow, and preferentially required two hands to accomplish smoothly and quickly.
With perhaps the exception of Sam Andrews's best rig, shoulder holsters generally present the user with a lot of slack to overcome, which is why one needs to use two hands. The "weak" hand stabilizes the rig, while the "strong" hand accomplishes the presentation.
Further, presentations from a shoulder harness will "sweep," and thereby menace, innocent persons standing behind the concealed-weapon user. While "in gravest extreme" this may not be a serious issue to some, it has always bothered me. I suppose that in terms of "competing harms" the issue is moot, but it still bothers me.
So I don't carry my pistol in a shoulder holster.
It’s been my experience that what you point out with the draw is a result of a shoulder holster that’s improperly adjusted to the wearer. While they shouldn’t be tight little movement should be experienced. Additionally they can further be secured with a tie down though I personally don’t see them as needed.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I dress almost everyday in Western fashion. Jeans, t-shirt with a western shirt, boots and hat.
I was thinking if I added a very light tropical cotton sport jacket it would not clash to bad.
Replace Hawaiian with button up of any kind and that’s precisely what I do. I wear a t shirt with some type of button up untucked and unbuttoned.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Yup. I am T shirt and shorts guy in the summer.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Replace Hawaiian with button up of any kind and that’s precisely what I do. I wear a t shirt with some type of button up untucked and unbuttoned.
My wife vetoed any more Hawaiins.

·
Premium Member
9,044 Posts
I do that now with my belt holsters, just wondering how it would look with a shoulder rig?
Wind is something fierce around here most times. Unbuttoned and it looks like a flapping sail on a ship.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
I do that now with my belt holsters, just wondering how it would look with a shoulder rig?
Wind is something fierce around here most times. Unbuttoned and it looks like a flapping sail on a ship.
Wind blow up your skirt? Err.... Kilt.......

21 - 40 of 45 Posts