Defensive Carry banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you have enough room to slip the gun inside the boot would a Remora work? That might solve the movement and comfort issue, the holster should stay put if you draw the gun. Just a thought.

·
Registered
12,894 Posts
If you are concealing so deep you can't get to the gun you are defeating the purpose of having a gun.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a Safariland pocket holster (suede outside and slick on the inside) that can be used as a boot holster for cowboy or Wellington type boots. Works Ok if your boot is straight up and down, sitting or standing. No real retention if running or (if for some reason) you find yourself "heels up", like falling down. There's times I carry my snub nose that way, depending on where I'm going. As mentioned, good place to hide a gun - can be tough to get to it, though.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
David I like this idea I am off to the races. Does this slide down the leg? Is there a strap above the knee? Any other info you have would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
If the calf brace is tight enough there shouldn't be any slippage. That is why neoprene works so well and why it was used way back when. It stretches good but has enough internal strength to not sag.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Think I'll try using my pocket holster inside the boot first, if that doesn't work for me, then I like the idea of modifying a ankle holster to ride a little higher to give me a little more room inside the boot.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey everyone, thanks again for all the input. Just wanted to update everyone on my decision to use a pocket holster inside the boot. I used my blackhawlk pocket holster inside the boot the other day. Actually worked out pretty good. I think for now, that will be my method of carry when I want to carry in my boot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, so I've decided that there are times I need the extra deep concealment of a ankle holster for my j frame. Problem is I like to wear cowboy boots a lot. I've tried a cupple, but can't get my boot on very well with them. So I would like to hear from some of you guys that ankle carry with cowboy boot, what ankle holster, or holster in general
works best inside cowboy boots?
About the only thing I've found works best for me is my velcro ankle holster for my NAA .22lr revolver with boot grips. Boots go over it well, minimal bulge, hammer strap for safety and security.

Good luck with that j frame.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I wear ropers daily with a airweight snubbie
I use a Galco holster it is nylon and uses a robust Velcro closure which is very adjustable
It has the faux sheep fur pad which makes it very comfortable
I position it to wear the snap and grip are just outside the tp of the boot and it stays put.
Lot depends on gun and boot type.
Only issue I have is the fur balls from the pad likes to stick to the gun.
I have to wipe it down each night

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I've got one of those cheapies that were advertised on Facebook and it does fine in my daily work boots and my Sunday best ropers. However, if I was going to carry that way regularly, I'd look at the Bugbite. In fact, I was just considering that this morning.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Seems a pretty tight fit for anything but the smallest gun and even then I'm sure it would chaff, either you or the boot.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I only wear boots (except for my Crocs at night) but I don't always boot carry, but when I do, it's my 442 in the Blackhawk #3. Dont even know it's there, and because of the "sticky" texture of this holster, it stays in the boot when I draw ithe revolver.

By the way, these Durango Rebels are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, period.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered a cheap little thing from crossbreed. It's their only ankle holster offering. Needed something while I browsed around for a good IWB holster. Worked fine with my Ariat Groundbreaker boots. My only complaint with that holster is that it's a little more bulky than I think it needed to be. Feel like crossbreed could've trimmed the fat a little. Just made my right leg look a little fatter than the left leg, but still fit inside the boot fine. Was comfortable all day. You definitely need to wear the calf support with it or it'll just fall down and irritate your ankle bone. I wore that for about 2 months on and off. Still wear it here and there. Pretty good little holster.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts